Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Help changing /etc/vfstab - can't boot Post 302299672 by hi_nishith on Friday 20th of March 2009 06:36:26 PM
Old 03-20-2009
MySQL

yeah ...it works great...was stuck with d read only filesystem since long...just a tip ...incase someone is stuck with similar situation and "mount -o rw,remount" works for you...still u may be stuck in editing vfstab if /var is a separate filesystem.this happens as /var is not mounted and vi creates a temporary file in /var/tmp.try copying the backed up copy of vfstab u should hv taken earlier b4 playing with vfstab.. yeah.great post by the way...keep up the gud work!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing boot device on a Sun box

I need to change the boot slice on a Sun box, more specifically the alias of "disk". When I do a printenv from the ok prompt, it lists "boot-device disk net", but when it boots, it is looking at the wrong slice on "disk" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/vfstab

If i wish to make a mount permanent, is it /etc/vfstab that i have to the entry add to? If so does anybody know the syntax, ie. is it tab or space delimited ? etc etc any help would be greatly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

3. Solaris

mount in vfstab

In the end of /etc/vfstab file : /dev/md/dsk/d30 /dev/md/dsk/d30 /odb0 ufs no no - /dev/md/dsk/d40 /dev/md/dsk/d40 /odb1 ufs no no - After boot filesystems /odb0 and /odb1 don't mount. Also they don't mount after comand mount -a But if i'm enter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about vfstab

Hi all, I have been trying to figure out a way to mount swap on /tmp at a stage early than the default script that does it... If anyone knows how it can be done pls pls help me!!!!! I have been struggling a lot for it Secondly, continuing with the same issue... I wanted to know if the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

5. Solaris

etc/vfstab

Hi Everyone, How to find the wrong entry in etc/vfstab or wrong mount point in etc/vfstab ? Thanks & Regards Padmaja. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmaja
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/vfstab vs /etc/mnttab

what is the difference between the /etc/vfstab and /etc/mnttab? when i check both files, the content is almost the same. can you enlighten me? what i know is /etc/vfstab is used for hard mounts. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrist
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Ubuntu 10.4 Boot Loader Option

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.4 and I want to change the boot loader option to boot Windows 7 by default. Every time I update Ubuntu some extra lines appears at the boot menu. I want to remove them also. Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a vfstab

Hi Guys i need your help quite urgently I am setting up a vfstab but need some help, here is the file systems 0. c0t0d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107> drmlc-00 Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks Mounted/used by 0 root wm 0 - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brian112
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Changing Drive to be /Boot

Posted in wrong area, post can be deleted, my appologies. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: derbarbarian
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Changing boot order doesn't work

Hey i am running both ubuntu 10.10 and windows 7, trying to make the default boot be windows 7 instead of ubuntu but it doesn't want to work. Ive tried changing default in the grub file it didnt work, then i installed startup-manager and set windows 7 as the OS and it still boots into ubuntu. Thx... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Era555
3 Replies
GRUB(8) 								FSF								   GRUB(8)

NAME
grub - the grub shell SYNOPSIS
grub [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Enter the GRand Unified Bootloader command shell. --batch turn on batch mode for non-interactive use --boot-drive=DRIVE specify stage2 boot_drive [default=0x0] --config-file=FILE specify stage2 config_file [default=/boot/grub/menu.lst] --device-map=FILE use the device map file FILE --help display this message and exit --hold wait until a debugger will attach --install-partition=PAR specify stage2 install_partition [default=0x20000] --no-config-file do not use the config file --no-curses do not use curses --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --no-pager do not use internal pager --preset-menu use the preset menu --probe-second-floppy probe the second floppy drive --read-only do not write anything to devices --verbose print verbose messages --version print version information and exit REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
update-grub(8), grub-install(8). The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub programs are prop- erly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. grub (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB(8)