Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a script to delete previous versions of files Post 302299227 by jbsimon000 on Thursday 19th of March 2009 02:01:51 PM
Old 03-19-2009
After further thought that didn't quite work.
The actual directory listing looks like this ( I "bolded" the directories of interest):

$ls -1t
suite6_dev_1.127/
latest_unit_test_log_dev_unit_tests.html@
suite6_dev_1.126/
ld@
lm@
lw@
latest_suite6_dev@
build_suite6_dev_1.126.log
suite6_dev_1.125/
latest_suite5.4@
build_suite5.4_1.53.log
suite5.4_1.53/
build_suite6_dev_1.125.log
build_suite5.4_1.52.log
suite5.4_1.52/
latest_suite5_dev@
build_suite5_dev_1.625.log
suite5_dev_1.625/

After the command
$ ls -1t | grep suite6 | sort | tail -2 | xargs echo
suite6_dev_1.126/ suite6_dev_1.127/

What i want is suite6_dev_1.125/ (and any else before, for instance suite6_dev_1.124 if it exists also), I can then use xargs rm -rf instead of xargs echo.

Any ideas of how to get the files that I want ?
The output of
$ls -1t | grep suite6 | sort

build_suite6_dev_1.125.log
build_suite6_dev_1.126.log
build_suite6_dev_1.127.log
latest_suite6_dev@
suite6_dev_1.125/
suite6_dev_1.126/
suite6_dev_1.127/

I need to modify the grep to match the file names starting with "suite6" that will get just the directories that i want. Then I need to get the names of all but the last 2.

Thanks again
Joe

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script preserving last 2 versions of files

I need some help with the logic and syntax for a shell script (ksh) that will search a directory and look for similar files and save only the last two versions. The version number is in the file name. However, the files are of varying name lengths and may have 1 or many files, with no limit to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete older versions of unique files

I have directory where new sub directories and files being created every few minutes. The directories are like abc_date, def_date, ghi_date. I am looking to keep the latest 2 unique directories and delete everything else. Here is what I have so far This gives me unique names excluding the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzstore
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sample script to archive & move previous day syslog files

hi all. Please help me with archiving previous day syslog files. the files have no extension and have the format YYYY-MM-DD. I want to archive the file then move it to some other machine. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete previous lines

Need to delete the line which is directly above any line which has 3 fields in it. one two three one two three four five six four five six seven eight nine seven eight nine one two three should output: one two three (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

making code compatible to previous bash versions

First let me explain the scenario I have tywo files as usual file1.txt (it has n rows and 8 columns) $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 Code: 1234567|iufgt|iuoy|iout|white |black |red |90879 1234567|iufgt|iuoy|iout|green |pink |blue |90879... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy the previous month files using shell script?

could you please assist the below query. i had written the below piece of code to copy the files from one directory to another. For current month files had been copied ,unfortunately the previous month files not copied. Please find the below directory structure:- ls -lrt total 1824... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
2 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEBCONF(1)						     Debhelper						      DH_INSTALLDEBCONF(1)

NAME
dh_installdebconf - install files used by debconf in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installdebconf [debhelperoptions] [-n] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdebconf is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files used by debconf into package build directories. It also automatically generates the postrm commands needed to interface with debconf. The commands are added to the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb. See dh_installdeb(1) for an explanation of how that works. Note that if you use debconf, your package probably needs to depend on it (it will be added to ${misc:Depends} by this program). Note that for your config script to be called by dpkg, your postinst needs to source debconf's confmodule. dh_installdebconf does not install this statement into the postinst automatically as it is too hard to do it right. FILES
debian/package.config This is the debconf config script, and is installed into the DEBIAN directory in the package build directory. Inside the script, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. debian/package.templates This is the debconf templates file, and is installed into the DEBIAN directory in the package build directory. debian/po/ If this directory is present, this program will automatically use po2debconf(1) to generate merged templates files that include the translations from there. For this to work, your package should build-depend on po-debconf. OPTIONS
-n, --no-scripts Do not modify postrm script. -- params Pass the params to po2debconf. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEBCONF(1)