Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print portion line in SED
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print portion line in SED Post 302299213 by cfajohnson on Thursday 19th of March 2009 01:02:26 PM
Old 03-19-2009
Code:
sed 's/<a/\n&/g' FILE |
 sed -n "/href/ s/.*href=['\"]\([^'\"]*\)['\"].*/\1/gp"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erasing portion of line with sed

hi, I'm trying to use sed to erase everything, and including the ending parenthesis. For example: input: blah blah blah (12355)this is what i want. output: this is what i want. how would i do this? i found an example online that does the opposite: sed \"s|test.*||g\" file1 > file2"; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammaman
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erasing portion of line with sed (only once)

hi, I'm trying to use sed to erase everything, up to the first parenthesis. for example: input: blah blah blah (aldj) test (dafs) test test. output: (aldj) test (dafs) test test. how would i do this? I was fooling around with the parenthesis, and i only got it to apply on all parenthesis.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a portion of a line

Hi, I am facing a little problem... I have a line like this : asdcvashfasashXXXXxxxzxcadd:sdcashjqdasdsmgdkdaxdsnd; I want to print just a portion of line i.e starting from left 5 characters from ":" and upto ";" i.e. in this case it would be "xcadd:sdcashjqdasdsmgdkdaxdsnd;" The length of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print a portion of file

Hi, I have a little problem. I am having a file with pattern like : asdf;ffgg;dfjfj;djdfjf;nnjj;djd;ssj; I just want to print the portion from last ";" upto the immediate previous ";". There are several ";" in my line. Please help me out... Thnx in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print previous, current and next line using sed

Hi, how can i print the previous, current and next line using sed? current line is the matching line. The following prints all lines containing 'Failure' and also the immediate next line cat $file | sed -n -e '/Failure/{N;p;}' Now, i also want to print the previous line too. Thanks,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrinu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: print out to first blank line

I am trying to use wget and sed to extract a text based weather forecast for the Greater Victoria area only, this is one paragraph of many in a web page. I have tried /^$/ but that does not seem to work. So far I get mostly what I want with this: wget -qO -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagagnon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print old line and new changed line

hello, i have a file "TEST" and want to change the digit(s) after "=" . but i also want to print the old entry with a comment (for information). i want to use "sed", is it possible ? file: TEST = 10 # comment default value: 0 sed , with "p" , i can print the old entry, but i want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use variable for sed print line

I'm using the sed command to pull a line from a file and place it into another file: sed -n '1p' students >tmp this pulls the first line, I want to change the 1 to a variable which will be a counter to go through the rest of the lines but can't get it. I've tried: sed -n '$cp students... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atchleykl
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script - print the line number along with the line

Hi, I want to print the line number with the pattern of the line on a same line using multi-patterns in sed. But i don't know how to do it. For example, I have a file abc def ghi I want to print 1 abc 2 def 3 ghi I know how to write it one line code, but i don't know how to put... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntpntp
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Print Edited Line Along With Original Line

Hi, I have an input file like this line1 line2 line3 hello unix how are you This is what I am expecting my output to be line1 line2 #line3 hello unix how are you line3 hello (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux