Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris 2 x HBA, connected to a SAN, but no Multi path software - What happens ? Post 302299166 by sbk1972 on Thursday 19th of March 2009 10:32:56 AM
Old 03-19-2009
2 x HBA, connected to a SAN, but no Multi path software - What happens ?

Hi there

Now, Ive always support servers that used multi path software with dual cards, e.g. powerpath (emc ) / MPXIO. I got asked a question today, that if a solaris 8/9/10 host had 2 HBA cards, but no multipathing software, what would happen ?? Does the HBA card with the highest id on the PCI board be the primary ?

Like I said, never seen this, so dont know. Solaris 8, if you want MPXIO does it work with Sol 8 ? Dont I need to install a package ?

Like always, tremendous site, and thanks in advance :-)

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Thoughts/experiences of SAN attaching V880 to EMC SAN

Hi everyone, I wonder if I can canvas any opinions or thoughts (good or bad) on SAN attaching a SUN V880/490 to an EMC Clarion SAN? At the moment the 880 is using 12 internal FC-AL disks as a db server and seems to be doing a pretty good job. It is not I/O, CPU or Memory constrained and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: si_linux
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

SAN Connected RedHat Server

I received 4 pre-loaded ready-to-go intel servers running RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 kernel version 2.6.9-22.18 build date june 29, 2006. They are equiped with QLOGIC 2400 dual-port HBA cards. I need to know what utilities or command-sets are available to check these cards out? How do I get their... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallender
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris9 - qlogic HBAs - luxadm reports "Found path to 0 HBA ports"

Hi All, I'm actually trying to configure a Qlogic HBA on a solaris9 connecting in a Brocade SAN. I installed Solaris9 and now trying to look at FC devices.. bash-2.05# luxadm -e port Found path to 0 HBA ports bash-2.05# luxadm probe No Network Array enclosures found in /dev/es... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Backup and multi Path network

Dear All I have three site in multi city and have in three site ADSL connection with Fixed IP and three Connection leased line (VHSDSL) and and the primary connection it's VHSDSL and BAckup up connection ADSL So can i use IPMP in solaris OS 10 in three Site to have this Service in three Site... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hosam
0 Replies

5. AIX

how to know if my aix have multi-path driver installed?

I have an aix server, it is not a VIO server or client. I need to check if it has multi-path driver installed, how to check it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a lot of Buffer I/O error on device connected to SAN

hi guys I have a server(x3650 M2) connected to a SAN...it takes a long time to boot with a lot errors like these any idea how to fix that? Suse Enterprise 10 SP3 update as soon as I disconnect the HBAs boots up normal and fast and no messages sdi:end_request: I/O error, dev sdh,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script to check the SAN dual path.

Hello, I would like to create a shell script which would check whether the hosts have SAN dual path or not. If yes, then I should get a success message, else should get a list of hosts on which SAN dual path is not working. Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

8. Solaris

SAN/Solaris: luxadm shows NOT CONNECTED

Hi, I have a question regarding HBA configuration. Here are the commands' output: # cfgadm -al | grep fc c1 fc-fabric connected unconfigured unknown c2 fc connected unconfigured unknown c5 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
11 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to find the SAN path?

Hi folks, How to identify the SAN is running in Single path or dual source path for linux servers. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Physical path of NIC/HBA

How can I get the physical path i.e. slot#, port# etc. using a command on linux physical server? Looking for a command for mapping. thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
3 Replies
AN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     AN(4)

NAME
an -- Aironet Communications 4500/4800 wireless network adapter driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device an device wlan Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_an_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The an driver provides support for Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 wireless network adapters and variants, including the following: o Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 series o Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 series o Xircom Wireless Ethernet Adapter Support for these devices include the ISA, PCI and PCMCIA varieties. The Aironet 4500 series adapters operate at 1 and 2Mbps while the Aironet 4800 series and Cisco adapters can operate at 1, 2, 5.5 and 11Mbps. The ISA, PCI and PCMCIA devices are all based on the same core PCMCIA modules and all have the same programming interface, however unlike the Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE cards, the ISA and PCI cards appear to the host as normal ISA and PCI devices and do not require any PCCARD support. The PCMCIA Aironet cards require PC Card support, including the kernel pccard(4) driver. ISA cards can either be configured to use ISA Plug and Play or to use a particular I/O address and IRQ by properly setting the DIP switches on the board. (The default switch setting is for Plug and Play.) The an driver has Plug and Play support and will work in either configuration, however when using a hard-wired I/O address and IRQ, the driver configuration and the NIC's switch settings must agree. PCI cards require no switch settings of any kind and will be automatically probed and attached. All host/device interaction with the Aironet cards is via programmed I/O. The Aironet devices support 802.11 and 802.3 frames, power manage- ment, BSS (infrastructure) and IBSS (ad-hoc) operation modes. The an driver encapsulates all IP and ARP traffic as 802.11 frames, however it can receive either 802.11 or 802.3 frames. Transmit speed is selectable between 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5.5Mbps, 11Mbps or "auto" (the NIC automati- cally chooses the best speed). By default, the an driver configures the Aironet card for infrastructure operation. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). DIAGNOSTICS
an%d: init failed The Aironet card failed to become ready after an initialization command was issued. an%d: failed to allocate %d bytes on NIC The driver was unable to allocate memory for transmit frames in the NIC's on-board RAM. an%d: device timeout The Aironet card failed to generate an interrupt to acknowledge a transmit command. SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), miibus(4), netintro(4), wlan(4), ancontrol(8), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The an device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
The an driver was written by Bill Paul <wpaul@ee.columbia.edu>. BSD
July 16, 2005 BSD