Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find a user's file permissions Post 302298995 by wabard on Thursday 19th of March 2009 02:11:10 AM
Old 03-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaargh
Good starting point
Code:
stat --printf "Human Readable: %A \nGroup name of owner %G \n"  file

Isn't this valid for Linux only?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing permissions of a user

So I need to change the permissions of my user account. I can access the root account on the server, but don't know how to change the permissions of my user account. I was advised to try 'userconf' to see if I am part of a group, but I dunno how that works. ANyone who knows how to see the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achink125
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find permissions/roles/priveleges of User

Hello Everyone, if we log on to unix server how do we find that what permissions/roles and priveleges are assigned to any particular user. Here i am not talking about the file permissions. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hardesh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user permissions question

I have an application where in a user uploads files into a directory that has a collection of image files, as well as a text file that is read by a web script later. The script imports the text file data into a database, then copies the image files to a secure location. Ideally it should remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdw.lighting
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do i change the user permissions..

Hi everyone, There are couple of users of which i need to give 2 of the users admin rights so that they are able to run the administration commands like "zoneadm" and locale. When logged in as root i am obviously able to do that.please suggest any way by which the other 2 user's permissions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sankasu
1 Replies

5. Solaris

user permissions

hi i want to display the usernames,usergroups user permissions and user home directory's with in a single command.and possibities are their for getting this output .. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see a user's permissions on a directory

i know about ls, I know.... but some of our shares have a long messy list of acls and it is a lot to sort through.. without a grep option, unless you have a really nice one, is there a simple way to say: show me <USER> acl permissions on <SHARE> ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find the user of a file and permissions

I have a list of files in a.txt file. For each of the files listed in that file, I would like to obtain the owner of the file and also, the permissions associated with that file. If possible, the group the owner belongs to as well. Can someone help me with a script to find that out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

new-user permissions

Hi, i'm using a Unix machine. I login as root. when i create new users using useradd -m <user_name> their home directories will be created in /home/ directory with default permissons of 750. i.e., drwxr-x--- how can i change these default permissions..?? which file to access and what changes i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepyes
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permissions for particular user

Hi, How can we assign file permissions for a purticular user, rather than giving to whole group. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies
getfacl(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        getfacl(1)

NAME
getfacl - display discretionary file information SYNOPSIS
getfacl [-ad] file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, the getfacl utility displays the owner, the group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, getfacl displays the owner, the group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directo- ries contain default ACLs. The getfacl utility may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It reports the ACL based on the base permission bits. With no options specified, getfacl displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and both the ACL and the default ACL, if it exists. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and the ACL of the file. -d Displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of a regular file, special file, or named pipe. OUTPUT
The format for ACL output is as follows: # file: filename # owner: uid # group: gid user::perm user:uid:perm group::perm group:gid:perm mask:perm other:perm default:user::perm default:user:uid:perm default:group::perm default:group:gid:perm default:mask:perm default:other:perm When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line separates the ACLs for each file. The ACL entries are displayed in the order in which they are evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The first three lines display the filename, the file owner, and the file group owner. Notice that when only the -d option is specified and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines are displayed. The user entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that are granted to the file owner. One or more additional user entries indi- cate the permissions that are granted to the specified users. The group entry without a group ID indicates the permissions that are granted to the file group owner. One or more additional group entries indicate the permissions that are granted to the specified groups. The mask entry indicates the ACL mask permissions. These are the maximum permissions allowed to any user entries except the file owner, and to any group entries, including the file group owner. These permissions restrict the permissions specified in other entries. The other entry indicates the permissions that are granted to others. The default entries may exist only for directories. These entries indicate the default entries that are added to a file created within the directory. The uid is a login name or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system password file, /etc/passwd. The gid is a group name or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system group file, /etc/group. The perm is a three character string composed of the let- ters representing the separate discretionary access rights: r (read), w (write), x (execute/search), or the place holder character -. The perm is displayed in the following order: rwx. If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the place holder character appears. If you use the chmod(1) command to change the file group owner permissions on a file with ACL entries, both the file group owner permis- sions and the ACL mask are changed to the new permissions. Be aware that the new ACL mask permissions may change the effective permissions for additional users and groups who have ACL entries on the file. In order to indicate that the ACL mask restricts an ACL entry, getfacl displays an additional tab character, pound sign (#), and the actual permissions granted, following the entry. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Displaying file information Given file foo, with an ACL six entries long, the command host% getfacl foo would print: # file: foo # owner: shea # group: staff user::rwx user:spy:--- user:mookie:r-- group::r-- mask::rw- other::--- Example 2: Displaying information after chmod command Continue with the above example, after chmod 700 foo was issued: host% getfacl foo would print: # file: foo # owner: shea # group: staff user::rwx user:spy:--- user:mookie:r-- #effective:--- group::--- mask::--- other::--- Example 3: Displaying information when ACL contains default entries Given directory doo, with an ACL containing default entries, the command host% getfacl -d doo would print: # file: doo # owner: shea # group: staff default:user::rwx default:user:spy:--- default:user:mookie:r-- default:group::r-- default:mask::--- default:other::--- FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /etc/group group file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setfacl(1), acl(2), aclsort(3SEC), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The output from getfacl is in the correct format for input to the setfacl -f command. If the output from getfacl is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to setfacl. In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. SunOS 5.10 5 Nov 1994 getfacl(1)