Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Problem with configuring host name in Redhat Linux 5 Post 302298640 by nagapradeep on Wednesday 18th of March 2009 08:05:16 AM
Old 03-18-2009
Problem with configuring host name in Redhat Linux 5

Hi All

when I give the command,
$ ping <hostname>

I get the following error
ping: unknown host <hostname>

I have checked in the following files,

/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf

Every where in these files host name and IP address are given properly but still when I ping the host name its not pinging. Could any one please help me in this.

Thanks
Pradeep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Redhat 8.0 Problem

can someone tell me what commands in Linux RedHat 8.0 will give me a graph of whats going on on my system. When Is ay graphs I mean graphs like does produced by perfview of solaris and glance of HP-UX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Problem On Linux Redhat 8.0

Hey guys, can anyone please tell me how I can make linux recognize the same video adapter/monitor type that my windows box is using? i'm running linux redhat on virtual PC which enables me to have windows and linux running at the same time. (i can switch back and forth between operating... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Redhat Linux - Postfix problem

We have a redhat linux el4 and used as a mail server.We configured postfix.all r working fine.we got a problem for a particular user when he tries to open his mailbox and the error is mentioned below: ERROR: Could not complete request. Query: SELECT "INBOX" Reason Given: Internal error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramjimh2k3
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

redhat linux mail server problem

we are using redhat linux,configured the postfix as mail server and outlook is used as mail client.whenever the user opens outlook it is start downloading all the mails from the server. Example : If a user has 50 mails in the server,whenever he opens the outlook the outlook will start... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramjimh2k3
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Rsh problem on redhat linux

Hi, I am trying to do rsh on to a redhat EL 5 machine. It repeatedly asks me for the password and die after sometime. One might think that I am giving the wrong password. But I can do 'ssh' on to that machine with the same password. Can someone tell me what I have been doing wrong? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line character problem with ksh on Redhat Linux

Guys, I would like to discuss the problem I am seeing with echo “\n” statement in Redhat Linux Enterprise 5.3 version. I have a shell script that was written couple of years back for generic UNIX platforms based on ksh and was tested on Solaris 8,9,10 ; AIX 5.3 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijeshpp
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Heartbeat configuring in Redhat

hi, I'm currently trying to configure Linux heartbeat on my two Linux servers(where SMPP service is running) my two machines are in two different location with different notworks (primary is in 192.168.x.x and secondary is in 10.48.x.x network) I want to know whether is it possible to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asela115
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

redhat linux postfix problem..

hello all, If i send mails using postfix,the mails stored in queue,not delivered to required recipient...can anyone please tell me the solution for this problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tilakraj
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

Configuring DNS Server in Linux Redhat

Can someone help with a detail step-by-step oh how to configure DNS server on Linux Server. - I need to have 3 IP addresses map to a single hostname. for clients I'm a Linux rookie. Thanks Oscar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrankOscar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

configuring MYsql db on redhat cluster

Hello, can someone please suggest me in configuring the mysql db on redhat cluster, I have few questions. 1. where do I have to configure heart beat links, and is there any file in the redhat cluster that we update it to use these ipaddress and these interface on the node. 2. I am configuring... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
0 Replies
sonar(6x)							XScreenSaver manual							 sonar(6x)

NAME
sonar - display a sonar scope SYNOPSIS
sonar [-ping hosts-or-subnets] [-ping-timeout int] [-delay usecs] [-speed ratio] [-sweep-size ratio] [-font-size points] [-team-a-name string] [-team-b-name string] [-team-a-count int] [-team-b-count int] [-no-dns] [-no-times] [-no-wobble] [-debug] [-fps] DESCRIPTION
This draws a sonar screen that pings (get it?) the hosts on your local network, and plots their distance (response time) from you. The three rings represent ping times of approximately 2.5, 70 and 2,000 milliseconds respectively. Alternately, it can run a simulation that doesn't involve hosts. OPTIONS
sonar understands the following options: -ping hosts-or-subnets The list of things to ping, separated by commas or spaces. Elements of this list may be: simulation Run in simulation mode instead of pinging real hosts. hostname Ping the given host. A.B.C.D Ping the given IP address. subnet Ping the local class C subnet (the nearest 255 addresses). subnet/NN Ping a different-sized local subnet: e.g., subnet/28 would ping a 4-bit subnet (the nearest 15 addresses). A.B.C.D/NN Ping an arbitrary other subnet. The IP address specifies the base address, and the part after the slash is how wide the subnet is. Typical values are /24 (for 255 addresses) and /28 (for 15 addresses). filename Ping the hosts listed in the given file. This file can be in the format used by /etc/hosts, or it can be any file that has host names as the first or second element on each line. If you use ssh, try this: sonar -ping $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts -ping-timeout int The amount of time in milliseconds the program will wait for an answer to a ping. -delay int Delay between frames, in microseconds. Default 20000. -speed ratio Less than 1 for slower, greater than 1 for faster. Default 1. -sweep-size ratio How big the glowing sweep area should be. Default 0.3. -font-size points How large the text should be. Default 10 points. -no-wobble Keep the display stationary instead of very slowly wobbling back and forth. -no-dns Do not attempt to resolve IP addresses to hostnames. -no-times Do not display ping times beneath the host names. -team-a-name string In simulation mode, the name of team A. -team-b-name string In simulation mode, the name of team B. -team-a-count int In simulation mode, the number of bogies on team A. -team-b-count int In simulation mode, the number of bogies on team B. -fps Display the current frame rate, polygon count, and CPU load. NOTES
On most Unix systems, this program must be installed as setuid root in order to ping hosts. This is because root privileges are needed to create an ICMP RAW socket. Privileges are disavowed shortly after startup (just after connecting to the X server) so this is believed to be safe: chown root:root sonar chmod u+s sonar It is not necessary to make it setuid on MacOS systems, because on MacOS, unprivileged programs can ping by using ICMP DGRAM sockets instead of ICMP RAW. In ping-mode, the display is a logarithmic scale, calibrated so that the three rings represent ping times of approximately 2.5, 70 and 2,000 milliseconds respectively. This means that if any the hosts you are pinging take longer than 2 seconds to respond, they won't show up; and if you are pinging several hosts with very fast response times, they will all appear close to the center of the screen (making their names hard to read.) SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1), ping(8) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 by Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org> Copyright (C) 1998 by Stephen Martin. <smartin@canada.com> Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in sup- porting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHORS
Stephen Martin <smartin@canada.com>, 3-nov-1998. Subnet support, etc. added by Jamie Zawinski, 17-Jul-2000. Rewritten using OpenGL instead of X11 by Jamie Zawinski, 12-Aug-2008. X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) sonar(6x)