Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sort command help needed.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort command help needed. Post 302298580 by uniesh on Wednesday 18th of March 2009 03:22:11 AM
Old 03-18-2009
sort -k3,3 -k7,7r input.file --- this gives

s03 laala 5 55 65 75 195
s02 tutu 6 85 90 90 265
s04 butterkhor 6 70 70 70 210
s01 lula 6 75 65 55 195

Is this sorted???

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort - Help Needed

Hi, I am facing a small problem while I am doing the sort. Problem Definition: I have a file which has the following data. >cat test.dat zxzxc asdasd qwaxcZa qwaxcA When I do a sort on this file. the result set is asdasd qwaxcA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andysundar
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed with sort. pipe and popen()

Suppose I want to find the number of uniq lines in a file. I use the following command: sort file1 | uniq -c | wc -l But if for some reason sort fails, the above command returns 0 as the answer. Why would sort fail ? sort makes use of directories /tmp or /var/tmp to store temporary files.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort file

I have a text file comprising of 3 columns 1. First column - numeric count/frequency of error codes 2. Second column - alphanumeric hyphenated error code 3. Third column - Error code description (alphanumeric) 184 ABCD-954 Errorcodedescription1 35645 DFMS-323 Errorcodedescription2 43534 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to sort multiple columns in one file

Hi, I would like to know given that I have 3 columns. Let say I have first 3 columns to do operation and these operation output is printed out each line by line using AWK and associative array.Currently in the output file, I do a sort by -r for the operation output. The problem comes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with Sort and uniq data

Hi All, After Sorting directories and files i have got following output as below, now i only want the strings common in them, so the actual output should be as below in the bottom. How do i do that? Thanks -adsi File to be modified:- Common Components for ----> AA... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort data

Hello All, Today i have been asking lots of question, hope to become good in scripting soon with all the wonderful advices i get. The question is i want to sort data a get uniq string from it. The code i am using to generate the output is:- check_sun() { for i in $SUN_PLATFORM do $ECHO... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort command help needed

I have a file with three fields of data for example say we have 1420 $12.56 45 3456 $15.89 14 2341 $25.87 32 I need to use a command to show who is getting paid the highest amount to standard output. I am not sure if I should use a sort command or a copy and paste... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies
sortbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							sortbib(1)

Name
       sortbib - sort bibliographic database

Syntax
       sortbib [-sKEYS] database...

Description
       The  command sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys.  Records may be separated by blank lines, or by .[
       and .] delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together.  This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields,  which
       are  sorted  separately.   The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records.  These records
       are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input.

By default, alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date.  The -s option is used to specify new
       KEYS.  For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date.  Sort keys past the fourth
       are not meaningful.  No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time.  Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated.

The command sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name.  A word in the final  position,  such	as
       ``jr.''	or  ``ed.'',  will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma.  Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions
       can be sorted correctly by using the convention ``'' in place of a blank.  A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except  sorting
       begins  with  the first, not the last, word.  The command sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year.  It also ignores leading
       articles (like ``A'' or ``The'') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any  modern  European  language.
       If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, places that record before other records containing that field.

Options
       -sKEYS
	  Specifies new sort KEYS.  For example, ATD sorts by author, title, and date.

See Also
       addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1)

sortbib(1)