Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search for very specific pattern with less Post 302298514 by wempy on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 06:42:48 PM
Old 03-17-2009
my less version accepts the regex 'whole word' markers \<word\>
Code:
$ less --version
less 418
Copyright (C) 1984-2007 Mark Nudelman

so now your search in the above file would be
Code:
/\<POLAR\>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific line if the search pattern is found

Hi, I need to extract <APPNUMBER> tag alone, if the <college> haas IIT Chennai value. college tag value will have spaces embedded. Those spaces should not be suppresses. My Source file <Record><sno>1</sno><empid>E0001</empid><name>Rejsh suderam</name><college>IIT ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pattern search using grep in specific range of files

Hi, I am trying to do the following: grep -l <pattern> <files to be searched for> In <files to be searched for> , all files should of some specific date like "Apr 8" not all files in current directory. I just to search within files Apr 8 files so that it won't search in entire list of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi I want to search for a specific pattern in file Say ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_" I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent request to consider:Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as # Drug_Target_X_Gene_Name:(Where X can be any number (1-1000) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use grep to search a specific pattern?

Hi All, My file contain the below data : w_SA_infa1.log:INFO : LM_36620 : () Command task instance : running command , with command value . Binary file w_SA_infa1.log.bin matches w_SA_infa2.log:INFO : LM_36620 : (30377|1427806528) Command task instance : running command , with command value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aliva Dash
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for duplicates and delete but remain the first one based on a specific pattern

Hi all, I have been trying to delete duplicates based on a certain pattern but failed to make it works. There are more than 1 pattern which are duplicated but i just want to remove 1 pattern only and remain the rest. I cannot use awk '!x++' inputfile.txt or sed '/pattern/d' or use uniq and sort... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting , need to search and print a line that contains a specific pattern

Take example of below file. abc.txt nas1:/abc/test/test1 /test nas1:/abc/test/test1/test2 /test/abc nas1:/abc/test/ Now i have a variable that contains "nas1:/abc/test/test1" value , so i need to search the above file for this variable and print only this line. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
14 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)

SYNOPSIS
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep - search log messages for a given pattern DESCRIPTION
The Grep filter requires a single Perl pattern (regular expression) as its argument. The pattern is then applied to the svn:log property of each revision it receives. If the pattern matches, the revision is allowed to continue down the pipeline. If the pattern fails to match, the pipeline immediately skips to the next revision. The pattern is applied with the /i modifier (case insensitivity). If you want case-sensitivity or other modifications to the behavior of your pattern, you must use the "(?imsx-imsx)" extended pattern (see "perldoc perlre" for details). For example, to search for log messages that match exactly the characters "foo" you might use svk log --filter "grep (?-i)foo" However, to search for "foo" without regards for case, one might try svk log --filter "grep foo" The result of any capturing parentheses inside the pattern are not available. If demand dictates, the Grep filter could be modified to place the captured value somewhere in the stash for other filters to access. If the pattern contains a pipe character ('|'), it must be escaped by preceding it with a '' character. Otherwise, the portion of the pattern after the pipe character is interpreted as the name of a log filter. STASH
/PROPERTY MODIFICATIONS Grep leaves all properties and the stash intact. perl v5.10.0 2008-08-04 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)