Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending to a file without printing to screen Post 302298492 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 04:36:38 PM
Old 03-17-2009

Pipe the printf through sort:
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {
   format = "%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s\n"
   printf format, "Name", "Exam1", "Exam2", "Exam 3", "Total", "Grade"
  }
{
 total = ( $2 + $3 + $4 ) / 3 # I think you want the average
      if (total < 50) grade = "F"
 else if (total < 65) grade = "D"
 else if (total < 80) grade = "C"
 else if (total < 90) grade = "B"
 else grade="A"

format = "%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15d%-15s\n"
 printf format, $1, $2, $3, $4, total, grade | "sort"
} ' grades > gradesorted

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

printing to the screen

HPUX 11.0.X / Korn Shell Hope this makes sense. I have a little function to place things on the screen using the column and row parameters. Question is, how can I be sure of where the current cursor postion is so that if I print something to the upper right hand corner of the screen, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending to sed output of one file into the middle of file

hi, i have a file file1 file2 ----------- ----------------- aa bbb ccc 111 1111 1111 ddd eee fff 222 3333 4444 ggg hhh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4desperado
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a log file and appending to a .txt file

I'm new to shell scripting and am writing a script to help me log the free memory and hd space on a server. As of now, the script just runs 'df -h' and appends the output to a file and then runs 'top' and appends the output to a log file. What I want to do, is have the script also search the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enator45
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - printing a hash of hashes to screen

Hi there I have a hash of hashes made up of the following data bge0|100|half|10.36.100.21 bge1|1000|full|10.36.100.22 bge2|1000|full|10.36.100.23 which when i turn into a hash, would look like this inside the system bge0 -> nic_speed -> 100 nic_duplex -> half ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing messages on the screen when background process is going on!

hello all, In my script i have written some messages which should come in screen while some background process is going on.. Like for example: if i want to add 2 numbers a and b ...when the addition is going on in the background i should get "ADDING TWO NUMBERS>>PLEASE WAIT " message on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing part of a file name and appending into a single file

I have two files like ABC_DEF_yyyyymmdd_hhmiss_XXX.txt and ABC_DEF_yyyyymmdd_hhmiss_YYY.txt. The date part is going to be changing everytime. How do i remove this date part of the file and create a single file like ABC_DEF_XXX.txt. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: varlax
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accidentally made a screen within a screen - how to move it up one level?

I made a screen within a screen. Is there a way to move the inner screen up one level so that it is at the same level as the first screen running from the shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending content of a file to another file before a specific character

Hi there, i've got a file with this content $ cat file1 Matt Mar The other file has the same number of lines with this content: $ cat file2 20404=767294 23450=32427 is there a way with either using sed, awk or paste to insert the content of file1 before the "=" character? So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies
CUBRID_FIELD_TYPE(3)							 1						      CUBRID_FIELD_TYPE(3)

cubrid_field_type - Return the type of the column corresponding to the given field offset

SYNOPSIS
string cubrid_field_type (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
This function returns the type of the column corresponding to the given field offset. The returned field type could be one of the follow- ing: "int", "real", "string", etc. PARAMETERS
o $result -Array type of the fetched result CUBRID_NUM, CUBRID_ASSOC, CUBRID_BOTH. o $field_offset - The numerical field offset. The $field_offset starts at 0. If $field_offset does not exist, an error of level E_WARNING is also issued. RETURN VALUES
Type of the column, on success. FALSE when invalid field_offset value. -1 if SQL sentence is not SELECT. EXAMPLES
Example #1 cubrid_field_type(3) example <?php $conn = cubrid_connect("localhost", 33000, "demodb"); $result = cubrid_execute($conn, "SELECT * FROM code"); $col_num = cubrid_num_cols($result); printf("%-15s %-15s %s ", "Field Table", "Field Name", "Field Type"); for($i = 0; $i < $col_num; $i++) { printf("%-15s %-15s %s ", cubrid_field_table($result, $i), cubrid_field_name($result, $i), cubrid_field_type($result, $i)); } cubrid_disconnect($conn); ?> The above example will output: Field Table Field Name Field Type code s_name char code f_name varchar PHP Documentation Group CUBRID_FIELD_TYPE(3)