Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed limitation of 255 characters Post 302298481 by sirababu on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 03:52:22 PM
Old 03-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wempy
both lines work fine here
Code:
$ sed --version
GNU sed version 4.1.5
Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

If you can't use gnu sed then you could overcome the limit by
Code:
sed -e "s/\(.\{1,255\}\)\(.\{1,213\}\)\(.\{1,2\}\)\(.*\)/\1\2AB\4/" FILE

(added/altered code marked in red)
Thanks a lot

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 11i - File Size Limitation And Number Of Folders Limitation

Hi All, Can anyone please clarify me the following questions: 1. Is there any file size limitation in HP-UX 11i, that I can able to create upto certain size of file (say 2 GB) and not more then that???? 2. At max. how many files we can able to keep inside a folder???? 3. How many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundeep_mohanty
2 Replies

2. Programming

make[1] *** [libsupp.a] Error 255

I have searched google and these forums as well. I am trying to compile proftpd on a vanilla Solaris 10 server and I am getting an error when I try to 'make' Server - Solaris 10 update 4 Installed packages from sunfreeware.com autoconf-2.60-sol10-sparc-local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjsoladmin
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Exit status 255 on sftp

HI guys When i try SFTP to a machine using a user account whose entry in /etc/passwd as follows user:x:8005:508::/export/home/user:/bin/false and i am not placed my keys over there i am using the password option in the sftp Since the keys are not there it ask for the password ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GIC1986
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo !SR | nc 255.255.2.2 80 - how to in XP?

Hi guys I am trying to interface with an old industrial scanner through an old PC with an old network card and a copy of Linux. It now needs to speak to a Windows XP machine, but I have no idea what the Windows equivalent of these functions would are: echo !1 | nc 255.255.2.2 80 echo ?2 | nc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyG
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED on AIX Limitation

Hello, I have a problem running a script created in ksh for Linux (Tested on Debian 5.0, Ubuntu Server 10.04 and RHEL 5.1), it works properly. :b: I trying to pass it to a AIX 5.3. :wall: The problem is the character limit of 256 on a command system and SED. I need to cut the contents of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemesis.spa
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed 255 Character Limitation

Hello, I am using sed command to place a comma dynamically in certain positions. When the position variable exceeds 255 characters, it errors out. I would appreciate if someone can point in the correct direction sed 's/^\(.\{'"$pos"'\}\)./\1,/' ragha.txt > ragha3.txt If $pos > 255,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Spliting a line after 255 characters.

Hi Guys, I have a file which contains multiple lines. I need to split each line 255 characters and then I need to add call statement in the front and semi colon at the end. I/P: call sp_rebuildindex('aaa.aaa','column column column column column column column column column column ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Booo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
VLAN-INTERFACES(5)						   File formats 						VLAN-INTERFACES(5)

NAME
/etc/network/interfaces (vlan) - vlan extensions for the interfaces(5) file format DESCRIPTION
/etc/network/interfaces contains network interface configuration information for the ifup(8) and ifdown(8) commands. This manpage describes the vlan extensions to the standard interfaces(5) file format. Primary extensions exist to make and destroy vlan interfaces, secondary extensions exist for ipv4 interface manipulation which are gener- ally needed when using (a lot of) vlans. VLAN CREATION
Vlan interface definitions exist of the vlan interface name, and an optional 'raw-device' parameter. Vlan interfaces are numbered 1 to 4095. You have the option to have interface names zero-padded to 4 numbers, or just the plain digits without leading zero. The following example shows four ways to create a vlan with id 1 on interface eth0. They all result in different names. iface eth0.1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan1 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface eth0.0001 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan0001 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # We don't have br support out of the box iface br0.2 inet static vlan-raw-device br0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # Aliases are ignored iface br0.2:1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 EXTRA IFACE OPTIONS
Usually someone who uses vlans also wants to do some other manipulations with the ip stack or interface. vlan-raw-device devicename Indicates the device to create the vlan on. This is ignored when the devicename is part of the vlan interface name. ip-proxy-arp 0|1 Turn proxy-arp off or on for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. ip-rp-filter 0|1|2 Set the return path filter for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. hw-mac-address mac-address This sets the mac address of the interface before bringing it up. This works on any device that allows setting the hardware address with the ip command. AUTHOR
This manpage was adapted from interfaces(5) by Ard van Breemen <ard@kwaak.net> SEE ALSO
vconfig(8) interfaces(5) vlan September 30 2007 VLAN-INTERFACES(5)