Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Menu list in Unix csh - command not found Post 302298225 by morava on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 03:12:45 AM
Old 03-17-2009
Menu list in Unix csh - command not found

Hello, im taking a class of Unix and i dont really know much about it, im trying to create a list of menu a user would select from and im very lost. Basically it will have 5 options, the user will chose from:
1. list files in the pwd
2. display date and time
3. is the file file or directory
4. create a backup
5. exit

I have no idea how to do options 3 and 4, i think i did right options 1.2.5. When I try to run the file (it has the x permission now) i am getting a command not found. Any idea how to finish it? Thanks !!

This is what i have right now:

#!bin/csh
# This menu will allow user to select from a menu of options, and then perform the
# selected command. User can use options until he chooses to exit
while :
do
clear
echo ***** Select from menu *****
echo "[1] List all files in the current directory"
echo "[2] Display today's date and time"
echo "[3] Display whether a file is just a file, or if it is a directory"
echo "[4] Create a back up file"
echo "[5] Exit the menu"
echo -n "Select your choice {1-5}:"
read yourch
case $yourch in
1) echo "These are your files: "; ls -l; echo "Press Enter"; read;;
2) echo "Today is 'date', time is 'time'; echo "Press Enter"; read;;
5) exit 0 ;;
"menunix" 21 lines, 652 characters

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i check in csh if command found or not found ?

hello all im trying to use in sun Solaris the information received from the top command now i several machines that dont have install the top program so when im running the script im geting error saying after im running this code : set MemoryInfo = `top | grep Memory` if (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ambiguous and Command not found Error in UNIX

Hi,All I wrote below script(Example1.sh) and i ran but it giveing error. it's excuted yesterday. SYSTEM_TIME=`date '+%H:%M:%S'` CMP_LOG_TIME=`head -1 runcmp-HINET.log` CMP_ENDED1=`grep 'HINET CMP ended' runcmp-HINET.log` CMP_ENDED2=`echo "HINET CMP ended"` CMP_FAILED2=`echo "HINET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous and Command not found Error in UNIX

Hi,All I wrote below script(Example1.sh) and i ran but i got error. it's excuted yesterday. SYSTEM_TIME=`date '+%H:%M:%S'` CMP_LOG_TIME=`head -1 runcmp-HINET.log` CMP_ENDED1=`grep 'HINET CMP ended' runcmp-HINET.log` CMP_ENDED2=`echo "HINET CMP ended"` CMP_FAILED2=`echo "HINET CMP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find command and list in a long format each found file

The purpose of those comands are to find the newest file in a directory acvrdind to system date, and it has to be recursively found in each directory. The problem is that i want to list in a long format every found file, but the commands i use produce unexpected results ,so the output lists in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a list menu as a variable

Hi again I have the follwing - cat ~/ABCFILE | grep "$SYSTEM" | grep "$USERNAME" What I'm looking to do is have the variable for $SYSTEM determined by the user making a selection from a numbered list. So, input 1 would be system ABC etc. I'm very puzzled as to how to go about this? Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Great Uncle Kip
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problem - when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu

when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu, however it carries out the next line when i hit a key I know its probably something simple can anyone help? here is my pause function: function pause(){ read -s -n 1 -p "Press any key to return to Menu . . ." echo } SCRIPT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csh command not found

I get a "command not found" error when I run the csh command. I also get this error when I start a new session since my default shell is c shell. Any pointers as to what is going on? I am trying to set some paths using the .cshrc file and need to use the csh command for this. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kannyg
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found errors when running csh script

I am trying to find the number of files whose name starts with uni. Below is the code but it is giving error. :confused: #!/bin/csh FILES_NAME ='files_list'; FILE_NAME_PATTERN = 'uni*'; NO_OF_FILES; ls -l $FILE_NAME_PATTERN > $FILES_NAME ; NO_OF_FILES = `wc -l $FILES_NAME`; echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in create menu with 3 sub menu using the case command

hi all i am a newbie to this is there any examples on creating a main menu with 3 sub menu main menu -> option a , b and c a menu -> option 1 ,2 and 3 b menu -> option 1 ,2 c menu -> option 1 ,2 i am getting headache as my code kept getting unexpected EOF ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercm
0 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)