Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX bos.rte.5.2.0.10 - Failure to Install (/usr/lib/methods/cfgsf bad permissions) Post 302298099 by wesiman on Monday 16th of March 2009 05:30:03 PM
Old 03-16-2009
Java bos.rte.5.2.0.10 - Failure to Install (/usr/lib/methods/cfgsf bad permissions)

I have a RS/6000 B80 which just had a disk failure; I've added a new drive and am in the process of rebuilding. I have reinstalled AIX 5.2 and am now looking to begin updating.

(fyi this will be the second time I have attempted to rebuild this machine, the first time i installed ML 5200-10 and the machine never successfully booted afterwards.)

I have downloaded and began to install ML-01 (5200-01), but have come across the following error:

installp: APPLYING software for:
bos.rte 5.2.0.10

bos.rte.config_u[42]: /usr/lib/methods/cfgsf: 0403-006 Execute permission denied.
update: Failed while executing the bos.rte.config_u script.

0503-464 installp: The installation has FAILED for the "usr" part
of the following filesets:
bos.rte 5.2.0.10

3001-023 The file /usr/lib/methods/cfgsf has the wrong file mode

I have scoured the internet only to find that this problem has only ever occurred once (EVER!!!! or no one has written about it!!), but could not find a solution. I have tried to chmod the script, take the script's entry out of the TCB, neither of which have worked. I have tried to install only bos.rte through 'smit install', tried to find it on the 5.2 cd but it wasn't there.

This is a build system and needs to be back up as soon as possible, but I cannot find an answer to this problem. Can ANYONE help??????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/lib/32/32-> Question

Hello UNIX people. I was just cruising around my UFS and came across the directory /usr/lib/32. This directory continues up many directories (/usr/lib/32/32/32/32->). Each level of 32/ directory seems to be a copy of the previous one. I have been working with UNIX for a little while now, but I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaggy
3 Replies

2. AIX

About bos.rte v=4,r<2

I have check the fileset with in AIX 4.2 and I have found this error after I type in lppchk -v. Can anyone help me out with this problem ? I am new here. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fla22
1 Replies

3. AIX

Install fileset rsct.basic.rte

Hello! Please I need a help. AIX 5.2 5200-08 I don't have the fileset - rsct.basic.* installed and when I try to install from CD I have failure because some pre-requisists is necessary. In CD the version is rsct.basic.rte.2.3.1.0 and the pre-requisists is rsct.basic.rte.2.3.0.0. In... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: clefeitosa
6 Replies

4. AIX

lppchk errors: bos.rte.filesystem

Hi all, I installed AIX 5.3 (TL 5300-08-01) and after that I updated to TL 5300-09-01. The problem is that, when I issue "lppchk -v" I get the following error: # lppchk -v lppchk: The following filesets need to be installed or corrected to bring the system to a consistent state:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: wendelalexis
10 Replies

5. AIX

bos.rte missing or broken

Dear Members, Recently we migrate from AIX 5.2 to AIX 5.3, before migration system state was stable but after migration when I check system state with lppchk command it shows bos.rte v=5, r<3 file sets are missing but when I check bos.rte by lslpp command it is present and in committed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of /usr/lib/nsr

Hello, I have this folder on my one of the machine but not on other. /usr/lib/nsr can anyone tell me for what this folder is used ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yatrik007
2 Replies

7. AIX

Downgrade bos.rte.install ?

Hello, Running AIX 6.1 TL2 SP4. bos.rte.install was upgraded to 6.1.4.1 by accident(commited). I'm trying to downgrade it. On my install DVD I found bos.rte.install_6.1.2.1.bff. So I'm trying to downgrade: # installp -acF -d/soft1 bos.rte.install 6.1.2.1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
6 Replies

8. AIX

Upgrade to TL8 failed: bos.net.NFS.client 6.1.8.1 (usr: COMMITTED, root:

dears i am trying to upgrade the TL from TL7 to TL8 and i facing this issue AIX6.1 << End of Success Section >> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ BUILDDATE Verification ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Need to install /usr/lib/libiconv.so.2 Solaris Sparc 64 bit package

Hi, Can anyone help me out in getting download the below required package for Solaris 10 SPARC 64-bit machine. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
3 Replies

10. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies
BOS_INSTALL(8)						       AFS Command Reference						    BOS_INSTALL(8)

NAME
bos_install - Installs a new version of a binary file SYNOPSIS
bos install -server <machine name> -file <files to install>+ [-dir <destination dir>] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos i -s <machine name> -f <files to install>+ [-d <destination dir>] [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos install command copies each binary file specified with the -file argument to the local disk of the server machine named by the -server argument, which is normally the binary distribution machine for its CPU/operating system type. The destination directory is /usr/lib/openafs unless the -dir argument indicates an alternate directory. The source file's UNIX mode bits are preserved in the transfer. If there is already a file of the same name in the destination directory, the BOS Server automatically saves it by adding a ".BAK" extension. If there is a current ".BAK" version at least seven days old, it replaces the current ".OLD" version. If there is no current ".OLD" version, the current ".BAK" version becomes the ".OLD" version automatically. The bos getdate command displays the timestamps on the current versions of the file. To start using the new binary immediately, issue the bos restart command. Otherwise, the BOS Server automatically restarts the process at the time defined in the /etc/openafs/BosConfig file; use the bos getrestart command to display the time and the bos setrestart time to set it. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the binary distribution machine on which to install the new binaries. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully-qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). If the machine is not a binary distribution machine and is running an "upclientbin" process, then the files are overwritten the next time the "upclientbin" process fetches the corresponding file from the distribution machine (by default within five minutes). -file <files to install>+ Specifies the complete pathname of each binary file to copy into the destination directory. Each source directory can be on the local disk or in AFS, in which case the issuer of the bos install command must have the necessary AFS access rights and the local machine must run the Cache Manager. For the BOS Server to create ".BAK" and ".OLD" versions, the last element in the pathname (the filename) must match the name of a file in the destination directory. bos_create(8) lists the standard binary file names. -dir <destination dir> Provides the complete pathname of the local disk directory in which to install binary files. It is necessary only if the destination directory is not /usr/lib/openafs. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command copies the file /afs/abc.com/rs_aix42/usr/lib/openafs/vlserver to the file /usr/lib/openafs/vlserver on the machine "fs3.abc.com", which is the binary distribution machine for server machines running AIX 4.2 in the "abc.com" cell. The current version of the /usr/lib/openafs/vlserver file is moved to /usr/lib/openafs/vlserver.BAK. % bos install -server fs3.abc.com -file /afs/abc.com/rs_aix42/usr/lib/openafs/vlserver PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. The bos install command cannot be run against servers which are in restricted mode. SEE ALSO
BosConfig(5), KeyFile(5), UserList(5), bos(8), bos_getdate(8), bos_getrestart(8), bos_restart(8), bos_setrestart(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_INSTALL(8)