Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH Script to Detect and List USB Flash Drives Post 302297834 by Corona688 on Sunday 15th of March 2009 11:19:25 PM
Old 03-16-2009
It's not quite a simple script because it involves tying several sources of information together. The point of the UNIX device model is to make it irrelevant whether a device is USB or IDE or SCSI or whatever from a programmer's point of view, getting all the info you need would mean tying together info from /sys/, lsusb, and possibly udev as well... Does linux live have udev?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting USB Drives in Solaris 9 x86

I'm trying to moun my external USB Mass Storage Drive (80GB) in my Solaris 9 box, I am new to Solaris, and kind of new to linux / unix variants. The external HD contains windows files, but I will be using it as a central storage area for my windows/ linux clients. Thanks -- N:confused:C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: N0C717
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

USB Thumb Drives

I'm hunting around for thumb drives that aren't working. Something you may have kicking around in a drawer that you don't need any more. One you've upgraded and just don't need. I'm willing to pay a couple bucks for you to drop it into an envelope with a few stamps and send it along. I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

USB Flash Drives

Can Solaris/any GNU/Linux distros/ any flavor of FreeBSD be booted, right from aUSB flash drive? Mine's the one pictured here. SanDisk | Products | USB Flash Drives | SanDisk CruzerŽ Titanium Plus USB Flash Drive Also, on a completely unrelated note (just so I don't have to fill up forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: led3234
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Does Solaris Volume Manager support USB flash drives?

I would like to mirror or stripe across multiple USB flash drives on a Sun Blade 100 workstation running Solaris 10. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoda9999
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to detect a file from inserted usb and puts into a Variable

There is a same named log file that I have on my 2 different android phones. When I plug it into my computer, it appears in the media folder, For example the first android phone: /media/F6BA-0AF5/folder/A.log I want to put that into a variable to be manipulated.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tobenguyen
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Idea: selling Puppy Linux flash drives

What do you think of the idea of selling flash drives already prepared to boot Puppy Linux on PCs? (I still need to see if I can boot on Macs using online instructions I've found.) I know it's not too hard to prep your own flash drive, even if you have to buy one first, but just think about why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrMormon
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to detect nonpingable hosts

I have a script to detect if a host is pingable or not. The problem is that I would like it to put the nonpingable hosts in one file and the pingable hosts in another. I have come up with this so far: for ip in `cat /tmp/testlist2`; do ping -c 3 $ip >/dev/null && echo "$ip is up" || echo "$ip... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Anyway to do ufsdump os backup to usb drives

hi folks happy new year to all, I haven't been coming round for a long time. I've been googling about this can't seem to find any good examples, I need to know if it's possible to do a ufsdump os backup into a usb flash drive. Then what about in event of os recovery when we boot to single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies
lsusb(8)							Linux USB Utilities							  lsusb(8)

NAME
lsusb - list USB devices SYNOPSIS
lsusb [ options ] DESCRIPTION
lsusb is a utility for displaying information about USB buses in the system and the devices connected to them. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Tells lsusb to be verbose and display detailed information about the devices shown. This includes configuration descriptors for the device's current speed. Class descriptors will be shown, when available, for USB device classes including hub, audio, HID, communi- cations, and chipcard. -s [[bus]:][devnum] Show only devices in specified bus and/or devnum. Both ID's are given in decimal and may be omitted. -d [vendor]:[product] Show only devices with the specified vendor and product ID. Both ID's are given in hexadecimal. -D device Do not scan the /dev/bus/usb directory, instead display only information about the device whose device file is given. The device file should be something like /dev/bus/usb/001/001. This option displays detailed information like the v option; you must be root to do this. -t Tells lsusb to dump the physical USB device hierarchy as a tree. This overrides the v option. -V, --version Print version information on standard output, then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
If the specified device is not found, a non-zero exit code is returned. FILES
/var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids A list of all known USB ID's (vendors, products, classes, subclasses and protocols). SEE ALSO
lspci(8), usbview(8). AUTHOR
Thomas Sailer, <sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch>. usbutils-007 6 May 2009 lsusb(8)