Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file Post 302297149 by cfajohnson on Thursday 12th of March 2009 03:25:01 PM
Old 03-12-2009

This will even work in csh, which is not recommended for scripting:

Code:
tr -s ' ' < FILE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert a extra line in a text file

how to insert a extra line in a text file using a sh command iam trying to think of a way to add a extra line but without deleting the whole text do anyone have any ideas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaviknp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exporting number into .csv file in text form (no other extra charc) from shell script

I have written a k shell program which is executing a sql and exporting data in numeric form like 0412323444 into .csv file. the problem i am facing is that , the data is coming in excel formatted in scientific form like 4.1+E08,while my requirement is to store data as such 0412323444 in excel ( no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak_Rastogi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i pass parameter with spaces to csh script

Hello all i need to pass to my shell script parameter that looks like "2 3 3" inside the script i need to use this string that looks like this "2 3 3" but when i try to print the script im getting syntax error , this is my script : set s = $1 echo $s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces in a file

Hello Guys, I am a newbie to unix. I am having a requirement. Please help me for finding a solution for this, I am having a file as mentioned below: $ cat shank ackca acackac akcajc akcjkcja akcj ckcklc I want to delete all the white spaces in this file, I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines that contain spaces in a txt file

I need some help deleting lines in a file that contain spaces. Im sure awk or sed will work but i dont know much about those commands. Any help is appreciated :D (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r04dw4rri0r
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear extra spaces and tabs in a file

Any help appreciated Thanks sample input: > (extra spaces&tabs in here) test1 (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123.123.123.123 (extra spaces&tabs in here) abc (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123 --- < (extra spaces&tabs in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goofist
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I stop the unix script from trimming extra spaces?

I have a file which contains certain records about users. the row length is always fixed to 205 characters. Now I want to read each record line from the file, substring some portion out of it and put into another file. But I have observed that my script is trimming the extra spaces I have used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramit
4 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces at the end of each line in a file

I have a file of about 10k records and eace line is having an extra space of 5 byte at the end.. Iwant to remove the extra spaces at the end of each line.. Can someone please help me out.. I tried using sed command and its not working... can someone please help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammohan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables from a text file for use in csh script

Hello, I have a text file (say, declarevars.txt) that contains multiple lines that are essentially meant to be variable declarations: set arr1 = (var1a var1b var1c) set arr2 = (var2a var2b var2c) . . . I want to be able to read this text file within a csh (sorry) script and have that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjaydj
2 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux