Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding names in multiple files - second attempt Post 302297134 by Lakris on Thursday 12th of March 2009 02:44:23 PM
Old 03-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_Point
I've thought that maybe there's a way to walk through the first file and with each line then walk through each line in the second file (something like a nested loop statement) and then go from there.
Thanks
Hi, have You tried this?

Something like:

Code:
while read name;do grep "$name" file2;done < file1

And You could do something like:

Code:
while read name;do echo $name:;grep "$name" file2;done < file1

Or some other action based on return value of grep?

Code:
while read name;do ;grep -q "$name" file2 && echo $name found in file2;done < file1

And it would help if You could show the source of the file, if this doesn't work. Have You considered sorting the files and using diff?

Best regards
/Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with names that have a real number greater then difined.

I am trying to find all files in a directory whose name has a real number larger then the number I am looking for. For example: . |-- delta.1.5.sql |-- delta.2.1.sql |-- delta.2.2.sql |-- delta.2.3.sql |-- delta.2.4.sql `-- delta.2.5.sql I know my database is at 2.2 so I want an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harmonwood
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Names in multiple files

What's the best way to see if a common name exists in two separate files? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple regex finding in files

Hello folks, I have a text file aa.txt that contains below text (\')|(\-\-) ((\%3D)|(=)) 20%0d% i want to search each line pattern in /opt/1.log and /opt/2.log. Can some one suggest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth line across multiple files

I have several files (around 50) that have the similar format. I need to extract the 5th line from every file and output that into a text file. So far, I have been able to figure out how to do it for a single file: $ awk 'NR==5' text1.txt > results.txt OR $ sed -n '5p' text1.txt > results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriqin
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding multiple files using find command

I am trying to search for 2 files using the find command as below find -name file1.txt -a -name file2.txt It doesn't give a result although the files exist in the folder, however when i try the following find -name file1.txt -o -name file2.txt It does give me the result. ./file2.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing names of files in multiple folder

I have 1000's of directories which is named as numbers. Each directory contains multiple files. Each of these directories have a file named "att". I need to rename all the att files by adding the directory name followed by "_" then att for each of the directories. Directories 120 att... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding overlapping names in different txt files

Dear Gurus, I have 57 tab-delimited different text files, each one containing entries in 3 columns. The first column in each file contains names of objects. Some names are present in more than one file. I would like to find those names and store them in a separate text file, preferably with a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding size of files with spaces in their file names

I am running a UNIX script to get unused files and their sizes from the server. The issue is arising due to the spaces present in the filename/folder names.Due to this the du -k command doesn't work properly.But I need to calculate the size of all files including the ones which have spaces in them.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in directory with similar names

So, I have a directory tree that has many files named thusly: X_REVY.PDF I need to find any files that have the same X portion (which can be nearly anything) as any another file (in any directory) but have different Y portions (which can be any number from 1-99). I then need it to return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamezero
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a list of files, print file names

I'm interested in writing a report script using BASH that searches all of the files in a particular directory for a keyword and printing a list of files containing this string... In fact this reporting script would have searches for multiple keywords, so I'm interested in making multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chemscripter904
2 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported com- pression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZDIFF(1)