Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if-else construct not working Post 302297040 by achellstrom on Thursday 12th of March 2009 11:20:43 AM
Old 03-12-2009
How are you setting the variable $var? Is this borne shell? Please submit all of the code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with looping construct

Hi all I have tried to search for this, but keep getting a MySQL db connect error, so am posing the question here, and taking a risk of incurring the wrath of the mods with my first post... I have the following test script: #!/bin/bash HTTPD=`/bin/ps -axcu | /usr/bin/grep httpd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikie
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Embedding Perl construct in ksh...

Hi, I have an embedded Perl construct in a korn script. However, I cannot seem to access the shell variables that were declared outside this Perl section. This is how my script is written....I have also tried back-ticks where I assign the shell variable to my local perl variable, still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svetlur
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh construct

Hi Guys, could someone tell me what this ksh construct does typeset -r PROG_PWD=${0%/*} does I understand the -r for readonly but I would very much appreciate a definitive account of what this will set $PROG_PWD to. If I run this at the cmd line it it gets set to /usr/bin but I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in the if construct

Hi can anyone tell me why is this code giving error mode=$1 if ] || ] then echo "MODES:" exit 1 fi Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

construct a string with X number of spaces

I'd like to create a variable with the value of X number of space( no Perl please), printf seems to work, but , in following example,10 spaces becomes 1 space when assinged to a variable, Why? other solutions are welcome. $printf "=%10s=\n" = = $var=$(printf "=%10s=\n") echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if-else construct

Hi all i have been trying to do a small 'question and answer' script using if-else statement and a combination of pipe. I have succeeded in allowing the user to login with user name and password stored in a sequence username/password in a file named "pass" like this: echo "please enter your... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arikutex
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk construct unfamiliar to me

Please help me out: I've seen this construct awk '{...}1'several times, like in scrutinizer's today's post awk '{for(i=2;i<=NF;i++)if($i==$1)$i=RS $i}1' infilebut I can't find (manuals, man pages, internet FAQs,...) an explanation of what it does resp. stands for. Any hint is appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Construct path

Hi, I need to construct the below path from the two available directory path, O/P /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/HTML /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/JSP /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/CSS Path:1 ------ /home/data/test/run/ Path:2 ------ /home/data/share/app/01/lang/ht/WEB/HTML... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special IF construct syntax in UNIX

Hi, I don't understand && and || in this context. I thought && is for logical 'AND' and || is for logical 'OR'. && echo "Not empty" || echo "Empty" Please help Thank You (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I construct a (possibly simple) IF statement?

Hi all, I thought this would be simple, but I've been having a lot of trouble trying to write this IF statement, if I may ask for help pls: In BASH, how would I construct the if statement: Should ONLY be true if USEROPTscript=="yes"]] AND $mode=="INSTALL" /or/ $mode=="CHANGE" ]]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmccoughlin
3 Replies
GIT-VAR(1)							    Git Manual								GIT-VAR(1)

NAME
       git-var - Show a Git logical variable

SYNOPSIS
       git var ( -l | <variable> )

DESCRIPTION
       Prints a Git logical variable.

OPTIONS
       -l
	   Cause the logical variables to be listed. In addition, all the variables of the Git configuration file .git/config are listed as well.
	   (However, the configuration variables listing functionality is deprecated in favor of git config -l.)

EXAMPLE
	   $ git var GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT
	   Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@lnxi.com> 1121223278 -0600

VARIABLES
       GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT
	   The author of a piece of code.

GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT
	   The person who put a piece of code into Git.

GIT_EDITOR
	   Text editor for use by Git commands. The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell when it is used. Examples: ~/bin/vi,
	   $SOME_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE, "C:Program FilesVimgvim.exe" --nofork. The order of preference is the $GIT_EDITOR environment variable,
	   then core.editor configuration, then $VISUAL, then $EDITOR, and then the default chosen at compile time, which is usually vi.

GIT_PAGER
	   Text viewer for use by Git commands (e.g., less). The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell. The order of preference is the
	   $GIT_PAGER environment variable, then core.pager configuration, then $PAGER, and then the default chosen at compile time (usually
	   less).

SEE ALSO
       git-commit-tree(1) git-tag(1) git-config(1)

GIT
       Part of the git(1) suite

Git 2.17.1							    10/05/2018								GIT-VAR(1)