Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding PID of a process using variable substituition Post 302296957 by amio on Thursday 12th of March 2009 08:03:31 AM
Old 03-12-2009
mypid=`ps -w aux | awk '/'"$myvar"'/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'`
echo PID is $mypid

It also gives the PID using variable subtituition..
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

finding out the pid for a busy text file

Can some one please tell me how to find out the proccess ID that is holding up a file. I am attempting to remove a file and I am getting a message stating that it is busy. i.e rm filename filename: 777 mode ? (y/n) y rm: filename not removed. Text file busy Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

2. Solaris

getting pid of process

hi all, Is there a simple script anyone could through out to me, to find the pid of a process given the name. I actually need to bind this pid to a processor set. I would probably put these comamns in a shell script which would have. a) kick start the executable b) get the pid c) bind it to a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naanu
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get an PID of particular process

Hi I have written a shell script to find and kill the particular process. Here in shell script i have written the code like cnt = $(ps -ef | grep Shree) echo $cnt I am getting the output root 2326 2317 0 14:39:46 pts/1 0:28 Shree -f fdc.fbconf FDCapp.fbapp Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shreedhar Naik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Finding PID of Killing process

Say I have 2 processes(perl scripts on Solaris machine) A and B. the process A kill the process B. While in the process B how do I print the PID of the process that Killed it(process A) before dieing. My process A looks like open(STATS, "ps -ef|"); while ($inputLine = <STATS>) { if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_007
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get PID of a process into a variable

Hi All, I need to get the PID of a process which i ran in background into a variable echo $! gives me the PID of last background process but how to get this into a variable so that i can use "wait" command later in the script to make sure that this background process was done var = `echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question about finding the PID of long-running processes

The end result that I'd like is to terminate any process on my ps -u username list that extends beyond 20 minutes. I know for a fact that this process will be named l.exe, but I don't know the number in between and I won't know the PID. Is there a way to use grep or pidof to do this task every 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bolanok
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in finding the PID by grep and assigning to a variable

Hello All, I am facing difficulty in getting the PID value & then assigning it to a variable, kindly help me in resolving the issue. Thanks a lot in advance. The custom utility used inside the Test2.sh will process the file in a batch of 10 lines at once and for efficient memory management,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the exit status of a 'nohup' command using 'PID'.

Hello All, I need to run a set of scripts, say 50 of them, parallely. I'm running these 50 scripts, from inside a script with the help of 'nohup' command. 1.The fifty scripts are stored in a separate file. 2.In a master script, i'm reading every line of the file through loop and executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
4 Replies
IO::Async::PID(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       IO::Async::PID(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::PID" - event callback on exit of a child process SYNOPSIS
use IO::Async::PID; use POSIX qw( WEXITSTATUS ); use IO::Async::Loop; my $loop = IO::Async::Loop->new; my $kid = $loop->fork( code => sub { print "Child sleeping.. "; sleep 10; print "Child exiting "; return 20; }, ); print "Child process $kid started "; my $pid = IO::Async::PID->new( pid => $kid, on_exit => sub { my ( $self, $exitcode ) = @_; printf "Child process %d exited with status %d ", $self->pid, WEXITSTATUS($exitcode); }, ); $loop->add( $pid ); $loop->run; DESCRIPTION
This subclass of IO::Async::Notifier invokes its callback when a process exits. For most use cases, a IO::Async::Process object provides more control of setting up the process, connecting filehandles to it, sending data to and receiving data from it. EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_exit $exitcode Invoked when the watched process exits. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": pid => INT The process ID to watch. Must be given before the object has been added to the containing "IO::Async::Loop" object. on_exit => CODE CODE reference for the "on_exit" event. Once the "on_exit" continuation has been invoked, the "IO::Async::PID" object is removed from the containing "IO::Async::Loop" object. METHODS
$process_id = $pid->pid Returns the underlying process ID $pid->kill( $signal ) Sends a signal to the process AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::PID(3pm)