Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to select the path that contains a certain string from a certain file? Post 302296946 by sunpraveen on Thursday 12th of March 2009 07:42:00 AM
Old 03-12-2009
Try this. I am sure this can be shortened but I am not that kind of a SME in UNIX! Smilie

Code:
find . -name *.project >> /tmp/filelist.txt
cat /tmp/filelist.txt | while read line
do
  grep "<string_to_search_for>" $line
done

HTH,Smilie

Regards,

Praveen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Replace A String In File With A String Containing Windows File Path

Hi, I have a file with the following contents # Lines that start with a # are comments. # # Calling TOAD like this will perform a comparison from command line : # # "C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 9.6\toad.exe" -c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select particular string using AWK

Hi all, i searched this forum for the awk help i needed but i couldnt get any thread matching to my problem, My problem is i have a file file1 { <Server CloneID="13k6equ4c" Name="EnterpriseServicesClone2"> <Server CloneID="13k6eqvi1" Name="EnterpriseServicesClone1"> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to select last part of a path

Hi all, I am learning the use of regular expression and I would like to know which regex can be used to select only the last part of a directory path name. Something like: /dir1/dir2/dir2 and I want to select the last /dir2 where dir2 can be any kind of string. Thanks a lot for your help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: elric
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select only the most frequent instances of a variable string in a file?

I've got a web access file that I want to grep (or awk or perl or whatever will work!) out the most frequent instances of unique IP entries. Meaning the file looks something like this: I'd like to run a sort or grep (or whatever) that will only select out the lines from IP's that had the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinmccallum
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove path string from file (string contains "/")

This is the way sed -i 's/home/$USER/.config/hello_there//g' /home/$USER/.gnomerc But, as far as I saw you cannot add any "/" in the string you want to remove.... So, what should I do in order to remove this path (which contains "/") ?:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string from file which contains variable and path - SH

e.g. /home/$USER/.config replace it with "" (empty) Is this possible? I think you should play a bit with sharps ## and sed:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select a single string

I am learning sed/awk. So, bear with me. I have successfully created a list (based on sed) which looks like: <cl:item href="clsysrev/XTT004/XTT05064.xml" productSubtitle="animals" unitStatus="today"IR"> <cl:item href="clsysrev/XTT007/XTT08581.xml" productSubtitle="humans"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alonso_canada
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select the shortest path in grep search?

Hi, How can I display only one shortest path (A/B/configure)? $ grep configure file.txt A/B/configure A/B/C/configure A/B/C/D/configure Thank you. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

select and replace only those string which is followed by \tab

Hi I have a number of sequences and a string occurs a number of times in that sequence. How can I select and replace only those strings which are followed by \tab. for eg : my sequence looks like : string0 positive cd parent=string0 id =121 string0 string0 negative ef parent=... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select First two directory in from path name?

Can somebody help me on below question I have path and i want to select first two directory name in variable how we can do this. /Myname/xyz/yourname/abc/somebodyname i want to select /Myname/xyz in variable. Quick help will be appriciated. Thanks in advance Regards, Kumar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
10 Replies
SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					    SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkshadow - GNU shtool create shadow tree using symlinks SYNOPSIS
shtool mkshadow [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-a|--all] src-dir dst-dir DESCRIPTION
This command creates a shadow tree of src-dir under dst-dir by recreating the directory hierarchy of src-dir under dst-dir and by creating the files of src-dir by linking them into the corresponding directories under dst-dir via symbolic links. When src-dir can be reached via relative paths from dst-dir, relative symbolic links are used, too. This high-level functionality is originally designed for developers to create copies of source trees. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -a, --all Really shadow all files and directories in src-dir. Default is to skip CVS related files and directories, backup files, object files, etc. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mkshadow -v -a . /tmp/shadow HISTORY
The GNU shtool mkshadow command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later revised and taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), ln(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)