Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to sort a set of files by date in a directory? Post 302296874 by pludi on Thursday 12th of March 2009 05:15:36 AM
Old 03-12-2009
One idea, in Perl, might be to create a hash from the filelist, using the mtime (obtained via stat) as the key. Afterwards it's only a foreach $time (sort keys %hash)
Or, on the shell:
Code:
ls -tr1 | sed -e '1d'

Last edited by pludi; 03-12-2009 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

2. Linux

sort files by date

Hi All, Sorry to throw this frequent question but I lost my notes on it. How do you list the files by date? I'm on red hat. Thanks in advance, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort files by date, not showing files from today

Hi all, i'm new here in this forum. I really like the helpful answers in this forum. Here a short question. For a script i have to sort files by date and exclude the files of the actual date. Sorting the files by date and preparing the output for awk is done by this line: ls -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlosdivega
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort files on date field

:cool: Hi all, I have a pecular issue in sorting these files in Solaris environment. All the below files are modified on November 4th, but I want to sort these files as per date column (eg: 01May07_1623 = ddmmmyy_hhmm) Nov 4 18:27 SONYELEC00.GI22973.01May07_1623.gpg Nov 4 18:27... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivaastrogun
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort files by date in filename

Hi, I am a newbie to shell programming and I need some help in sorting a list of files in ascending order of date in the filenames. The file format is always : IGL01_AC_D_<YYYYMMDD>_N01_01 For example, in a directory MyDirectory I have the following files: IGL01_AC_D_20110712_N01_01.dat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yuggy
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get the files in a directory for the given date (User entered date)

Need a ksh script to get the files that were created or modified in a directory on a particular date entered by the user. For example if a directory contains files as below : > ll total 41 -rw-rw-r-- 1 psn psn 199 Aug 23 07:06 psn_roll.sh -rw-rw-r-- 1 psn psn ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramprabhum
10 Replies

8. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort files in directory numerically?

Trying to sort a bunch of files numerically but can't seem to get the command just right. This is in a IBM AIX machine. I have a directory that has... backup.bk1 backup.bk100 backup.bk2 backup.bk200 backup.bk3 backup.bk300 There are a lot more files but this is shortened for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
5 Replies
readahead(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      readahead(8)

NAME
readahead - file preloader for boot process optimization SYNOPSIS
readahead [options] <file-list> [another-file-list [...]] DESCRIPTION
readahead is a files preloader designed to optimize the disk I/O during the boot process. OPTIONS
-b, --build build optimised files list only, without sorting. -s, --sort build and sort list of files only (implies -b). -o, --output <file> write sorted list of files to file. -d, --dont-sort preload files described by an already sorted files list. -h, --help print the usage information. -v, --verbose enable the verbose mode. -t, --timing report time spent on each operation. -m, --maxsize <max size> maximum size in KiB a file can be in order to be preloaded, default is 10240. <file-list> [another-file-list [...]] One or more files containing the list of files to be preloaded or sorted. The files list can be generated by readahead-collector(8). FILES
/etc/default/readahead-fedora SEE ALSO
readahead-collector(8), readahead(2), AUTHORS
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>, Ziga Mahkovec <ziga.mahkovec@klika.si>, Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>, This manual page was written by Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> July 2011 readahead(8)