Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do you check whether a port currently being used? Post 302296635 by vbe on Wednesday 11th of March 2009 01:36:37 PM
Old 03-11-2009
lsof isnt a unix command... but a opensource utility that might not be installed...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

how can i check if port is busy or if someone is using it ?

Hello i have application that using ports , how can i check if the port im using is not captured by any applications? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

How can I check what port addresses used the application

Hello Mentors! I am a new here in the furom, i hope somebody can understand my problem. Basically we have an application here called unigraphics and being installed per station and the setup is look like this. 1. installed unigraphics UGNX3 version on every station 2. some are installed in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to check that a device is attached on a port

Q1: can anyone tell me how cfgadm keeps track of the device even if the device is disconnected , when we disconnect a device using cfgadm cfgadm -ys disconnect <ap_id> then the device disappears from the lshal o/p. HAL uses libdevinfo for the device list. if the device is not there in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narendra.pant
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a Port is accepting connections.

Hi, I need to create a script which checks the availability of a particular service on a particular Port on HP-Unix. Is there any command in unix wherein we can check if any port is accepting the connections now. Thanks, Vihang. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikings.svnit
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if Port is Active

is there a better way to check if a port is active on linux and sunos systems? this is currently what I'm using in my script: netstat -an | egrep -i "$PORT" i know this isn't the best way as there could be numbers in that output that has my port number in it but isn't necessarily a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl- check the port used

hi everybody; my code is cheking if a port is an actif or not with the cmd netstat -ln,I want first to enter the number of the port which I want to check it but I think that the value of $con in the second "if" is always "0" so the code give me always that the port is not used!!! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bassma
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check UDP port example = 31011?

We have open port UDP port 31011, how to verify if port were working or traffic were receive. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to check port used for SSL?

I have RHEL 5.8 in our production environment. We are using SSL, my query is how to find the port used for SSL. In /etc/services, it shows 443 but when I give netstat -tulpn | grep 443 Or netstat -tulp | grep https I do not get any output. I hope, my question is clear of how to find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check empty port using netstat?

Hi, How to check empty port using netstat please help Thanks Ashfaque (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashfaque
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the IP:PORT firewall uses?

I have my firewall process running # ps -ef | grep firewall root 21169 1 0 08:50 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python -Es /usr/sbin/firewalld --nofork --nopid I wish to know what ip : port number it is using. Can you please tell me how can i find out ? I tried the below command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
checkrestart(1) 						  debian-goodies						   checkrestart(1)

NAME
checkrestart - check which processes need to be restarted after an upgrade SYNOPSIS
checkrestart [ -hvpa ] [ -b blacklist_file ] [ -i package_name ] DESCRIPTION
The checkrestart program tries to determine if there are processes in the system that need to be restarted after a system upgrade. This is necessary since an upgrade will usually bring new system libraries and running processes will be still using the old versions of the libraries. In stable Debian GNU/Linux systems this is typically needed to eliminate a system exposure to a vulnerability which might have been fixed by upgrading a library which that process makes use of. Consequently, checkrestart is sometimes used as an audit tool to find outdated versions of libraries in use, particularly after security upgrades. Administrators should not, however, rely on its output completely (see BUGS below). This script needs to run as root in order to obtain the information it needs for analysis. OPTIONS
-h,--help Show the program help and exit. -v,--verbose Generate detailed output. This output includes the list of all processes found using deleted files or descriptors as well as the deleted files and descriptors found. -p,--package Only process deleted files that belong to a package, ignoring deleted files which do not have an associated package in the package system. -a,--all Process all deleted files regardless of location. This makes the program analyse deleted files even if they would be discarded because they are located in locations, such as /tmp , which are known to produce false positives. It will take preceded if used simultaneously with the -p option. -b file,--blacklist=file Read a blacklist of regular expressions from file. Any files matching the patterns will be ignored. -i name,--ignore=name Ignore services that are associated to the package name provided in name. EXIT STATUS
The program will exit with error (1) if a non-root user tries to run it. Otherwise, it will always exit with error status 0. BUGS
This program might fail if the output of the lsof utility changes since it depends on it to detect which deleted files are used by pro- cesses. It might also output some false positives depending on the processes' behaviour since it does not check yet if the (deleted) files in use are really libraries. If you find a false positive in checkrestart please provide the following information when submitting a bug report: -- The output of checkrestart using the -v (verbose) option. -- The output of running the following command as root: lsof | egrep 'delete|DEL|path inode' Checkrestart is also sensitive to the kernel version in use. And might fail to work with newer (or older) versions. A rewrite to make it less dependent on lsof could improve this, however. SEE ALSO
lsof(8) AUTHOR
checkrestart was written by Matt Zimmerman for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. COPYRIGHT AND LICENCE
Copyright (C) 2001 Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2007,2010-2011 Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs@debian.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. On Debian systems, a copy of the GNU General Public License may be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. debian-goodies December 19 2006 checkrestart(1)