Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Show date/time with tail|grep command Post 302296596 by julugu on Wednesday 11th of March 2009 11:34:46 AM
Old 03-11-2009
Solved!

SOLVED

tail -F catalina.out | egrep --line-buffered 'Fatal|delimiter|structures' | awk '{ print strftime("%c") " " $0}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep time and date

Hi, I have a file which is a result of a script running every two minutes. What I wanted to do is to grep a specific date and time (hour and minute) from the file and then count the occurance of 201. I need to get the result of occurance of 201 every 5 minutes. What should I include in my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Can history commands show what time command executed

On Solaris 8 and 10 is there a way history command can show what time a particular command was executed. Pls reply. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to show date/time of file the string was found in.

I've seen several examples of grep showing the filename the string was found in, but what I really need is grep to show the file details in long format (like ls -l would). scenario is: grep mobile_number todays_files This will show me the string I'm after & which files they turn up in, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodstock
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command not show on screen

Hi, I'm moniroting duplicate text with unix command (tail -f trace75747 | grep 'duplicate'), but it showed many lines then it stop show trace information although trace information in this file trace75747 always got. What should I do? I look forward to hearing from you. THANKS! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyha_moth
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - date & time range

Hi, I need to search email files by date & time range in email files. The timezone is not important. Can someone plz advise how i can do this ? For e.g A user can specify only A single date A date range date & time range Below is part of the email file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to show only process name

Can I modify the grep command to show only a process name? Currently I run ps -efa | grep chk_web to get the following: mousr 3395 1 0 09:36:06 pts/10 0:00 sh /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh Can this be changed in any way to get only: /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh or chk_web.sh. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep a range of time & date

how can i grep a range? i have a text file with the following text: result.log.00:2012/01/02 12:00:07.422 LOG STARTED HERE N6Kashya29MemoryShieldScheduler_AO_IMPLE, pid=8662/8658, config=(alertThreshold=10,alertLevel=0,killThreshold=7200,coreThreshold=0,full=1), deltaTime=0,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boaz733
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i use tail & grep in real time here??

Hi I have a file which is updated very frequently. Where in i wanted to use tail -f command in the script and wanted to grep for a particular word. But the issue is when i use tail -f filename|grep "word" ... it will show me blank until the word is found in the real time. if it shows... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command to show the number of results

Hi I wanted to know if there is an option in grep command to show the number of results (not the number of lines of findings). Thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
14 Replies
Fatal(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Fatal(3pm)

NAME
Fatal - Replace functions with equivalents which succeed or die SYNOPSIS
use Fatal qw(open close); open(my $fh, "<", $filename); # No need to check errors! use File::Copy qw(move); use Fatal qw(move); move($file1, $file2); # No need to check errors! sub juggle { . . . } Fatal->import('juggle'); BEST PRACTICE
Fatal has been obsoleted by the new autodie pragma. Please use autodie in preference to "Fatal". autodie supports lexical scoping, throws real exception objects, and provides much nicer error messages. The use of ":void" with Fatal is discouraged. DESCRIPTION
"Fatal" provides a way to conveniently replace functions which normally return a false value when they fail with equivalents which raise exceptions if they are not successful. This lets you use these functions without having to test their return values explicitly on each call. Exceptions can be caught using "eval{}". See perlfunc and perlvar for details. The do-or-die equivalents are set up simply by calling Fatal's "import" routine, passing it the names of the functions to be replaced. You may wrap both user-defined functions and overridable CORE operators (except "exec", "system", "print", or any other built-in that cannot be expressed via prototypes) in this way. If the symbol ":void" appears in the import list, then functions named later in that import list raise an exception only when these are called in void context--that is, when their return values are ignored. For example use Fatal qw/:void open close/; # properly checked, so no exception raised on error if (not open(my $fh, '<', '/bogotic') { warn "Can't open /bogotic: $!"; } # not checked, so error raises an exception close FH; The use of ":void" is discouraged, as it can result in exceptions not being thrown if you accidentally call a method without void context. Use autodie instead if you need to be able to disable autodying/Fatal behaviour for a small block of code. DIAGNOSTICS
Bad subroutine name for Fatal: %s You've called "Fatal" with an argument that doesn't look like a subroutine name, nor a switch that this version of Fatal understands. %s is not a Perl subroutine You've asked "Fatal" to try and replace a subroutine which does not exist, or has not yet been defined. %s is neither a builtin, nor a Perl subroutine You've asked "Fatal" to replace a subroutine, but it's not a Perl built-in, and "Fatal" couldn't find it as a regular subroutine. It either doesn't exist or has not yet been defined. Cannot make the non-overridable %s fatal You've tried to use "Fatal" on a Perl built-in that can't be overridden, such as "print" or "system", which means that "Fatal" can't help you, although some other modules might. See the "SEE ALSO" section of this documentation. Internal error: %s You've found a bug in "Fatal". Please report it using the "perlbug" command. BUGS
"Fatal" clobbers the context in which a function is called and always makes it a scalar context, except when the ":void" tag is used. This problem does not exist in autodie. "Used only once" warnings can be generated when "autodie" or "Fatal" is used with package filehandles (eg, "FILE"). It's strongly recommended you use scalar filehandles instead. AUTHOR
Original module by Lionel Cons (CERN). Prototype updates by Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>. autodie support, bugfixes, extended diagnostics, "system" support, and major overhauling by Paul Fenwick <pjf@perltraining.com.au> LICENSE
This module is free software, you may distribute it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
autodie for a nicer way to use lexical Fatal. IPC::System::Simple for a similar idea for calls to "system()" and backticks. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-26 Fatal(3pm)