Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers LVM lvcreate don't want to format Post 302296170 by vbe on Tuesday 10th of March 2009 02:22:29 PM
Old 03-10-2009
Well what you are trying will surely not work...
If I follow you, the idea is to show via SAN the disk to a remote server ,am I right?
In this case you should not use vgcreate or whatever but make a safe copy using vgexport or exportvg (aix) look at the man pages since I dont have the syntax in mind :
A mistake and you are doomed... I would say in HPUX you would use
vgexport -s -p -m -v mapfile.vgXX /dev/vgXX

using the mapfile you on the remote box can import the vg giving it a newname and hope you mount it read only or use the -e (exclusive) mode

This is what we are to do when using HACMP(AIX) or MCSG (HP)... (but can be done without the soft...)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting windows format file to unix format using script

Hi, I am having couple of files which i used to copy from windows to Linux, so now in case of text files (CTRL^M) appears at end of line. I know i can convert this windows format file to unix format file by running dos2unix. My requirement here is that i want to do it automatically using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl module to convert xlsx format to xls format

Hi Folks, I have written a perl script that reads data from excel sheet(.xls) using Spreadsheet::ParseExcel module. But the problem is this module doesn't work for excel sheets with extension .xlsx. I have gone through Spreadsheet::XLSX module with which we can read from .xlsx file directly.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

6. Fedora

Problem Executing "lvcreate" Command

Hi everyone, I use Fedora 17. I used gparted to created a dev/sdb2 partition. I then used vgextend to extend the volume group. The output of vgdisplay shows the condition of my volume group: --- Volume group --- VG Name vg_data System ID Format ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format

"Help Me" Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format in a unix server. Please suggest (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kranthi Kumar
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Lvcreate snapshot - ignore files

Hi, Need help for the below scenario.. Its a linux os snapshot which has been taken based on taking snapshot using lvcreate..while taking rootvg it taking an dump file of 2GB unnecessarily.. So any tricks to avoid the dump file while creating snapshot using lvcreate (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
0 Replies
ppmquant(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmquant(1)

NAME
ppmquant - quantize the colors in a portable pixmap down to a specified number SYNOPSIS
ppmquant [-floyd|-fs] ncolors [ppmfile] ppmquant [-floyd|-fs] [-nofloyd|-nofs] -mapfile mapfile [ppmfile] All options can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. You may use two hyphens instead of one to designate an option. You may use either white space or equals signs between an option name and its value. DESCRIPTION
pnmquant is a newer, more general program that is backward compatible with ppmquant. ppmquant may be faster, though. Reads a PPM image as input. Chooses ncolors colors to best represent the image, maps the existing colors to the new ones, and writes a PPM image as output. The quantization method is Heckbert's "median cut". Alternately, you can skip the color-choosing step by specifying your own set of colors with the -mapfile option. The mapfile is just a ppm file; it can be any shape, all that matters is the colors in it. For instance, to quantize down to the 8-color IBM TTL color set, you might use: P3 8 1 255 0 0 0 255 0 0 0 255 0 0 0 255 255 255 0 255 0 255 0 255 255 255 255 255 If you want to quantize one image to use the colors in another one, just use the second one as the mapfile. You don't have to reduce it down to only one pixel of each color, just use it as is. If you use a mapfile, the output image has the same maxval as the mapfile. Otherwise, the output maxval is the same as the input maxval, or less in some cases where the quantization process reduces the necessary resolution. The -floyd/-fs option enables a Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion step. Floyd-Steinberg gives vastly better results on images where the unmodified quantization has banding or other artifacts, especially when going to a small number of colors such as the above IBM set. How- ever, it does take substantially more CPU time, so the default is off. -nofloyd/-nofs means not to use the Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion. This is the default. REFERENCES
"Color Image Quantization for Frame Buffer Display" by Paul Heckbert, SIGGRAPH '82 Proceedings, page 297. SEE ALSO
pnmquant(1), ppmquantall(1), pnmdepth(1), ppmdither(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. 12 January 1991 ppmquant(1)