Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How much Swap is too much?
Operating Systems HP-UX How much Swap is too much? Post 302296164 by Perderabo on Tuesday 10th of March 2009 02:15:19 PM
Old 03-10-2009
The old rule used to be 3 x memory and we have to get people to stop following that. The old rule was conceived when 64 Megs was a lot of memory and kernels allocated memory differently.

You're currently at 5.25 x memory. That's the highest ratio that I have ever seen.

Edit: Or did you make a typo? 48 GB of swap would be the old rule. You must have switched the digits!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap

When i re-updated my system i set my swap at 500 MB. I have 256 in ram and have never even gone into the 250 mb of swap that i had originally configured. How do I reduce the swap? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About swap

Is it really so that if swap will be located in the begining of hard drive, than it will work faster? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ty3
1 Replies

3. Solaris

/tmp as swap

So with solaris 10 are people not using the old /tmp as a regular UFS filesystem and making /tmp part of swap or tmpfs... what are peoples thoughts on this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
5 Replies

4. Solaris

swap -l

When i try to type swap -l ,nothing come out but blinking. May i know what is the problem and solutions ? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farbegas
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

swap

Hi, I have added a new disk to production server. How to make it visible to os and how to configure it. I also want to add some space from that disk to swap space. Please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
1 Replies

9. Solaris

swap

Hi, Can somebody please help here, since iam just a beginner. According to my book knowledge. the Avalilable memory calculated by swap -l (includes only swap) should be small as compared to swap -s value(includes Virtual memory=swap +physical). but this is quite opposite in my case. swap... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laxxi
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
Apache2::SiteControl::GrantAllRule(3pm) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   Apache2::SiteControl::GrantAllRule(3pm)

NAME
Apache2::SiteControl::GrantAllRule - A rule that grants permission to do everything. SYNOPSIS
In your instance of a ManagerFactory: use Apache2::SiteControl::GrantAllRule; ... sub getPermissionManager { ... $manager->addRule(new Apache2::SiteControl::GrantAllRule); ... return $manager; } DESCRIPTION
Apache2::SiteControl::GrantAllRule is a pre-built rule that grants access for all permission requests. This rule can be used to help implement a system that has a default policy of allowing access, and to which you add rules that deny access for specific cases. Note that the loose type checking of Perl makes this inherently dangerous, since a typo is likely to fail to deny access. It is recommended that you take the opposite approach with your rules, since a typo will err on the side of denying access. The former is a security hole, the latter is a bug that people will complain about (so you can fix it). SEE ALSO
Apache2::SiteControl::ManagerFactory, Apache::SiteControl::PermissionManager, Apache2::SiteControl::Rule AUTHOR
This module was written by Tony Kay, <tkay@uoregon.edu>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
perl v5.14.2 2006-03-17 Apache2::SiteControl::GrantAllRule(3pm)