Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Show date/time with tail|grep command Post 302296012 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 10th of March 2009 06:57:01 AM
Old 03-10-2009
We need to see several lines from catalina.out - above and below a matched line -- to answer your question.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep time and date

Hi, I have a file which is a result of a script running every two minutes. What I wanted to do is to grep a specific date and time (hour and minute) from the file and then count the occurance of 201. I need to get the result of occurance of 201 every 5 minutes. What should I include in my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Can history commands show what time command executed

On Solaris 8 and 10 is there a way history command can show what time a particular command was executed. Pls reply. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to show date/time of file the string was found in.

I've seen several examples of grep showing the filename the string was found in, but what I really need is grep to show the file details in long format (like ls -l would). scenario is: grep mobile_number todays_files This will show me the string I'm after & which files they turn up in, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodstock
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command not show on screen

Hi, I'm moniroting duplicate text with unix command (tail -f trace75747 | grep 'duplicate'), but it showed many lines then it stop show trace information although trace information in this file trace75747 always got. What should I do? I look forward to hearing from you. THANKS! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyha_moth
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - date & time range

Hi, I need to search email files by date & time range in email files. The timezone is not important. Can someone plz advise how i can do this ? For e.g A user can specify only A single date A date range date & time range Below is part of the email file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to show only process name

Can I modify the grep command to show only a process name? Currently I run ps -efa | grep chk_web to get the following: mousr 3395 1 0 09:36:06 pts/10 0:00 sh /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh Can this be changed in any way to get only: /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh or chk_web.sh. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep a range of time & date

how can i grep a range? i have a text file with the following text: result.log.00:2012/01/02 12:00:07.422 LOG STARTED HERE N6Kashya29MemoryShieldScheduler_AO_IMPLE, pid=8662/8658, config=(alertThreshold=10,alertLevel=0,killThreshold=7200,coreThreshold=0,full=1), deltaTime=0,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boaz733
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i use tail & grep in real time here??

Hi I have a file which is updated very frequently. Where in i wanted to use tail -f command in the script and wanted to grep for a particular word. But the issue is when i use tail -f filename|grep "word" ... it will show me blank until the word is found in the real time. if it shows... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command to show the number of results

Hi I wanted to know if there is an option in grep command to show the number of results (not the number of lines of findings). Thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
14 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD