Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unexpected df behavior
Operating Systems Solaris Unexpected df behavior Post 302295994 by incredible on Tuesday 10th of March 2009 06:18:48 AM
Old 03-10-2009
whats your problem now dude?Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ls behavior

I put this here because it is a 'behavior' type question.. I seem to remember doing ls .* and getting all the .-files, like .profile .login etc. But ls .* doesn't do that, it lsts the contents of every .*-type subdirectory. Is it supposed to? I should think that a -R should be given to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtleRamsli
10 Replies

2. Programming

Behavior of pthreads

Hi All, I ve written a small program to get started off with pthreads. I somehow feel the program doesnt meet the purpose. Please find the code and the output below. Please find my question at the bottom. #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void *PrintThread1(void... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhrraj
4 Replies

3. AIX

LUN Behavior

Aix 6.1, working with a nim master and nim_altmaster both LPARS have access to the same data LUN, /nimdisk I do realize the risks of having 2 servers access the same LUN, however it serves the purpose of being able to restore mksysb's to/from our DR site if necessary, at least in theory ;) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird behavior of Vi

Hi there, I am a bit puzzled by a weird behavior of Vi. I very simply would like to add increased numbers in some files. Since I have many thousands entries per file and many files, I would like to macro it in vi. To do this, I enter the first number ("0001") on the first line and then yank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypsis
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

iptables DNAT of outgoing destination port, unexpected behavior

Not sure if this should be here or in the security section. I am developing software that dynamically manipulates netfilter/iptables rules (through system() calls of the command strings, I'm not trying to hack the netfilter code). Basically, UDP messages that are sent by an application on, say,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjh19460
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unexpected behavior bash, set -o vi, history -a, and HISTFILE

I am trying to get my history in sync in multiple bash sections and things aren't working the way I expect. Desired behavior, hitting esc-K in all bash sessions (same userid and machine) will use the same history. Observed behavior: Esc-k shows the history of the current session, rather than... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gg48gg
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Launchd-owned processes unexpected behavior

Ok, so I have been struggling with this for a few days and I think I need an explanation of a few things before I go any further. I'm not sure it's possible to do what I'm trying, so before I pull my hair out, here is what I'm doing: I have written a program in LiveCode that sits on our... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected Echo Behavior

Hello all, I have a basic issue that I can't seem to search for since I'm not sure how to describe the behavior. Could anyone kindly assist the novice? (Sample) File Data: bundle-ppp-1/1.78 bundle-ppp-1/2.80 bundle-ppp-1/1.79 bundle-ppp-1/2.81 bundle-ppp-1/1.80 bundle-ppp-1/2.82... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjrupp
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Behavior

Linux Release Uname details Data file Ive been at the command line for some time. Back as far as SCO and Interactive Unix. I have always used this construct without issues. I want to isolate the ip / field 1. As you can see .. the first line is "skipped". This works as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
6 Replies
PARTY(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PARTY(1)

NAME
party - set OS responses mode SYNOPSIS
party ON|OFF|WHEREIS [ - ] dnv DESCRIPTION
Operating systems being what they are, the admin people can easily grow tired of command responses that resemble dyslexic eugene- speak filtered through Kernighan and Ritchie's collective back-brains. To alleviate this, we have included a slightly more `casual' mode, in which the responses to all commands are first filtered through a customising routine (DUDE) , which makes them sound a little more friendly while retaining their full information content (usually). The rooted(c) system prompt is changed to `What now, dude?' and output from each command is terminated by `No problem, dude.' OPTIONS
-v Verbose mode (ALL commands have a `verbose' mode). When this option is present, all filtered responses are preceeded by a message: `This response has been parsed by the DUDE filter and is not intended to be some sort of sleazy come-on.' -d Don't restart all processes after recompiling the /uselss/libs/eugene file (see below). This alows any important tasks to complete beforehand. -n Notify all users that they are about to be force-logged out and force-logged in again. ON Activates the DUDE filter. OFF De-activates the DUDE filter. WHEREIS Doesn't do anything, but we couldn't resist it. EXAMPLES
%-) party on What now, dude? To compare the differing responses, here is output provided by the ispi -s command, with party OFF and party ON: party OFF line who why how long ========================================================== 000 rooted that's you, dweeb! epoch ---------------------------------------------------------- 00F wp she's supposed to be 0:44:12 typing up the end of financial year report, but she's been doing her resume when she thinks no-one is watching ---------------------------------------------------------- 014 maint playing games, as usual 0:51:16 party ON Well, let's see who's on, eh? There's you, of course, on line 000 (Imagine that! Hahaha!) Oh look, on serIOus line 00F, it's that cute little secretary - looks like she's lost her keyboard template again, she's been hitting the escape key for the past five minutes! AND OF COURSE, the guys down in maintenance are playing `cosmic ballcrushers'. As usual. Well, who else, um, no-one really interesting like, ya know, oh hang on, DTR is toggling on serIOus line 03D.. oh, no problem, it's that stuffed modem again. You want maybe I should send some AMail to maintenance and get 'em to look at it? No problem, dude. What now, dude? FILES
/uselss/libs/bill&ted/DUDE This is the pipe process, usually started at system shoe, which lies idle until party ON is issued. /uselss/libs/eugene Contains all of the ordinary, ho-hum confusing computer - jargonese responses which commands ordinarily issue. Text file. /uselss/libs/eugene.spoo compiled version of the eugene file. /ephemeral/eugene.chex Checksum for the compiled eugene file. SEE ALSO
crp(1), stuffio(2), doobrie(9), gouge(3), ftang(65534), wi(-1), edmond(29), jumpstart(2), vo_mit(992) BUGS
The -n option can be slow. If the n option is issued, some users in a wi editing session may not receive the `warning, restart imminent' message until after the restart. There is no way selectively to follow symbolic links. Sunburne Computer, Inc. 9 October 1991 Aug 18, 1997 PARTY(1)