Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem identifying charset of a file Post 302295766 by Yogesh Sawant on Monday 9th of March 2009 01:53:18 PM
Old 03-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_423
Hi all,

My objective is to find out the charset using which a file is encoded. (The OS is SunOs)
try:
Code:
$ file filename.txt

for example:
Code:
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$ 
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$ cat chars.txt 
لرياض
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$ file chars.txt 
chars.txt: UTF-8 Unicode text
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix charset

Hi, How can I find out the charset on a Unix server (SUNOS 5.2)? I tried locale charmap and returned 646. What does 646 mean? If I send an xml file with encoding="utf-8", should the server be able to handle the file, even with special characters in it? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iengca
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identifying null values in a file

I have a huge file with 20 fileds in each record and each field is seperated by "|". If i want to get all the reocrds that have 18th or for that matter any filed as null how can i do it? Please let me know (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying suffixes in a file and printing them out

Hello, I am interested in finding and identifying suffixes for Indian names through an awk script or a perl program. Suffixes normally are found at the end of a word as is shown in the sample given below. What I need is a perl script which will identify suffixes of a defined lenght to be given in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locale and glibc and charset

what's the relationship among locale, glibc, charset, charmap and fonts? why locale needs to be generated by glibc? how? what are in the locale-archive file? and what are in font files? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying the file completion

Hi, A script is running for multiple databases so data is also being populated for multiple DBs in a.txt file. I need to rename this file once all the data is populated. Kindly suggest me How can I check once file is populated completely before renaming? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravigupta2u
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ISO 88591 file encoding charset in Linux

Hello Experts, please help to provide any insight as I am facing issue migrating java application from hpux to redhat. The java program is using InputStreamReader to read a file without specifying any charset parameter. However, in new Linux Redhat 5.6 environent, when reading a file that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonic_air
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying presence and name of new file(s)?

I have an HP-UX server that runs a script each night. The script connects to an SFTP server and downloads all xml files (if any are present) from a certain folder, and then deletes the files from the SFTP server. So sometimes it will download a new file, sometimes it will download 2 or 3 new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying Missing File Sequence

Hi, I have a file which contains few columns and the first column has the file names, and I would like to identify the missing file sequence number form the file and would copy to another file. My files has data in below format. APKRISPSIN320131231201319_0983,1,54,125,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to load a charset on RHEL 6.6 ?

Hi all, am running the following code on a RHEL 6.6 box to list which charsets are loaded and which are available: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Encode; my @list = Encode->encodings(); my @all_encodings = Encode->encodings(":all"); print "@list\n\n"; print "@all_encodings\n"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fundix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying missing file dates

Hi Experts, I have written the below script to check the missing files based on the date in the file name from current date to in a given interval of days. In the file names we have dates along with some name. ex:jera_sit_2017-04-25-150325.txt. The below script is working fine if we have only... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
10 Replies
SDL_PixelFormat(3)						 SDL API Reference						SDL_PixelFormat(3)

NAME
SDL_PixelFormat - Stores surface format information STRUCTURE DEFINITION
typedef struct SDL_PixelFormat { SDL_Palette *palette; Uint8 BitsPerPixel; Uint8 BytesPerPixel; Uint8 Rloss, Gloss, Bloss, Aloss; Uint8 Rshift, Gshift, Bshift, Ashift; Uint32 Rmask, Gmask, Bmask, Amask; Uint32 colorkey; Uint8 alpha; } SDL_PixelFormat; STRUCTURE DATA
palette Pointer to the palette, or NULL if the BitsPerPixel>8 BitsPerPixel The number of bits used to represent each pixel in a surface. Usually 8, 16, 24 or 32. BytesPerPixel The number of bytes used to represent each pixel in a surface. Usually one to four. [RGBA]mask Binary mask used to retrieve individual color values [RGBA]loss Precision loss of each color component (2^[RGBA]loss) [RGBA]shift Binary left shift of each color component in the pixel value colorkey Pixel value of transparent pixels alpha Overall surface alpha value DESCRIPTION
A SDL_PixelFormat describes the format of the pixel data stored at the pixels field of a SDL_Surface. Every surface stores a SDL_PixelFor- mat in the format field. If you wish to do pixel level modifications on a surface, then understanding how SDL stores its color information is essential. 8-bit pixel formats are the easiest to understand. Since its an 8-bit format, we have 8 BitsPerPixel and 1 BytesPerPixel. Since BytesPer- Pixel is 1, all pixels are represented by a Uint8 which contains an index into palette->colors. So, to determine the color of a pixel in a 8-bit surface: we read the color index from surface->pixels and we use that index to read the SDL_Color structure from surface->for- mat->palette->colors. Like so: SDL_Surface *surface; SDL_PixelFormat *fmt; SDL_Color *color; Uint8 index; . . /* Create surface */ . . fmt=surface->format; /* Check the bitdepth of the surface */ if(fmt->BitsPerPixel!=8){ fprintf(stderr, "Not an 8-bit surface. "); return(-1); } /* Lock the surface */ SDL_LockSurface(surface); /* Get the topleft pixel */ index=*(Uint8 *)surface->pixels; color=fmt->palette->colors[index]; /* Unlock the surface */ SDL_UnlockSurface(surface); printf("Pixel Color-> Red: %d, Green: %d, Blue: %d. Index: %d ", color->r, color->g, color->b, index); . . Pixel formats above 8-bit are an entirely different experience. They are considered to be "TrueColor" formats and the color information is stored in the pixels themselves, not in a palette. The mask, shift and loss fields tell us how the color information is encoded. The mask fields allow us to isolate each color component, the shift fields tell us the number of bits to the right of each component in the pixel value and the loss fields tell us the number of bits lost from each component when packing 8-bit color component in a pixel. /* Extracting color components from a 32-bit color value */ SDL_PixelFormat *fmt; SDL_Surface *surface; Uint32 temp, pixel; Uint8 red, green, blue, alpha; . . . fmt=surface->format; SDL_LockSurface(surface); pixel=*((Uint32*)surface->pixels); SDL_UnlockSurface(surface); /* Get Red component */ temp=pixel&fmt->Rmask; /* Isolate red component */ temp=temp>>fmt->Rshift;/* Shift it down to 8-bit */ temp=temp<<fmt->Rloss; /* Expand to a full 8-bit number */ red=(Uint8)temp; /* Get Green component */ temp=pixel&fmt->Gmask; /* Isolate green component */ temp=temp>>fmt->Gshift;/* Shift it down to 8-bit */ temp=temp<<fmt->Gloss; /* Expand to a full 8-bit number */ green=(Uint8)temp; /* Get Blue component */ temp=pixel&fmt->Bmask; /* Isolate blue component */ temp=temp>>fmt->Bshift;/* Shift it down to 8-bit */ temp=temp<<fmt->Bloss; /* Expand to a full 8-bit number */ blue=(Uint8)temp; /* Get Alpha component */ temp=pixel&fmt->Amask; /* Isolate alpha component */ temp=temp>>fmt->Ashift;/* Shift it down to 8-bit */ temp=temp<<fmt->Aloss; /* Expand to a full 8-bit number */ alpha=(Uint8)temp; printf("Pixel Color -> R: %d, G: %d, B: %d, A: %d ", red, green, blue, alpha); . . . SEE ALSO
SDL_Surface, SDL_MapRGB SDL
Tue 11 Sep 2001, 23:01 SDL_PixelFormat(3)