Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem identifying charset of a file Post 302295766 by Yogesh Sawant on Monday 9th of March 2009 01:53:18 PM
Old 03-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_423
Hi all,

My objective is to find out the charset using which a file is encoded. (The OS is SunOs)
try:
Code:
$ file filename.txt

for example:
Code:
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$ 
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$ cat chars.txt 
لرياض
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$ file chars.txt 
chars.txt: UTF-8 Unicode text
yogeshs@yogesh-laptop:~/temp$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix charset

Hi, How can I find out the charset on a Unix server (SUNOS 5.2)? I tried locale charmap and returned 646. What does 646 mean? If I send an xml file with encoding="utf-8", should the server be able to handle the file, even with special characters in it? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iengca
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identifying null values in a file

I have a huge file with 20 fileds in each record and each field is seperated by "|". If i want to get all the reocrds that have 18th or for that matter any filed as null how can i do it? Please let me know (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying suffixes in a file and printing them out

Hello, I am interested in finding and identifying suffixes for Indian names through an awk script or a perl program. Suffixes normally are found at the end of a word as is shown in the sample given below. What I need is a perl script which will identify suffixes of a defined lenght to be given in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locale and glibc and charset

what's the relationship among locale, glibc, charset, charmap and fonts? why locale needs to be generated by glibc? how? what are in the locale-archive file? and what are in font files? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying the file completion

Hi, A script is running for multiple databases so data is also being populated for multiple DBs in a.txt file. I need to rename this file once all the data is populated. Kindly suggest me How can I check once file is populated completely before renaming? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravigupta2u
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ISO 88591 file encoding charset in Linux

Hello Experts, please help to provide any insight as I am facing issue migrating java application from hpux to redhat. The java program is using InputStreamReader to read a file without specifying any charset parameter. However, in new Linux Redhat 5.6 environent, when reading a file that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonic_air
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying presence and name of new file(s)?

I have an HP-UX server that runs a script each night. The script connects to an SFTP server and downloads all xml files (if any are present) from a certain folder, and then deletes the files from the SFTP server. So sometimes it will download a new file, sometimes it will download 2 or 3 new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying Missing File Sequence

Hi, I have a file which contains few columns and the first column has the file names, and I would like to identify the missing file sequence number form the file and would copy to another file. My files has data in below format. APKRISPSIN320131231201319_0983,1,54,125,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to load a charset on RHEL 6.6 ?

Hi all, am running the following code on a RHEL 6.6 box to list which charsets are loaded and which are available: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Encode; my @list = Encode->encodings(); my @all_encodings = Encode->encodings(":all"); print "@list\n\n"; print "@all_encodings\n"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fundix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying missing file dates

Hi Experts, I have written the below script to check the missing files based on the date in the file name from current date to in a given interval of days. In the file names we have dates along with some name. ex:jera_sit_2017-04-25-150325.txt. The below script is working fine if we have only... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
10 Replies