Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple bash question - 2 files together Post 302295462 by bashshadow1979 on Sunday 8th of March 2009 12:05:14 PM
Old 03-08-2009
Thank you SO much! that did it!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Script

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but as I am new to bash shell scripting I'm not sure what: Here's the code webalizer.conf is sitting in the same directory as this file which is named webalizer.sh. Can someone tell me if I've got the syntax right -- it that's correct? I'm executing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xaphalanx
3 Replies

3. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Read File question

Hello all, I am trying to write a simple script that will parse through a text/properties file and check a couple of if statements. Here is what I have so far: FILENAME=$1 while read line do echo $line done < $FILENAME When I call ./simple.sh testfile.txt I recieve a file or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamagra
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script

I am writing a shell script in bash one of the thing I want to show is size of export /home du -sk /export/home/oracle | cut -c 1-5 echo "kbytes" when I run the script kbytes shows up in the second line, How can I append kbytes on the same line, such as 61233 kbytes please guide thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

dead simple bash script question

I need help writing a bash script that will simply prompt the user with a list of choices, then run an action based on the input. The action is running a wake-on-lan app called etherwake and passing a pre-defined mac address to the syntax. I have defined the three MAC addresses as: MAC1, MAC2,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Looking into files question

I have a bunch of files that are messages in my directory. Each message has a date located in the file. How can I look into each file and find the date? Thank you for any help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
7 Replies