Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sort command help needed.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort command help needed. Post 302295418 by ripat on Sunday 8th of March 2009 06:46:33 AM
Old 03-08-2009
Hi,

Can you provide a sample file and desired output?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort - Help Needed

Hi, I am facing a small problem while I am doing the sort. Problem Definition: I have a file which has the following data. >cat test.dat zxzxc asdasd qwaxcZa qwaxcA When I do a sort on this file. the result set is asdasd qwaxcA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andysundar
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed with sort. pipe and popen()

Suppose I want to find the number of uniq lines in a file. I use the following command: sort file1 | uniq -c | wc -l But if for some reason sort fails, the above command returns 0 as the answer. Why would sort fail ? sort makes use of directories /tmp or /var/tmp to store temporary files.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort file

I have a text file comprising of 3 columns 1. First column - numeric count/frequency of error codes 2. Second column - alphanumeric hyphenated error code 3. Third column - Error code description (alphanumeric) 184 ABCD-954 Errorcodedescription1 35645 DFMS-323 Errorcodedescription2 43534 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to sort multiple columns in one file

Hi, I would like to know given that I have 3 columns. Let say I have first 3 columns to do operation and these operation output is printed out each line by line using AWK and associative array.Currently in the output file, I do a sort by -r for the operation output. The problem comes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with Sort and uniq data

Hi All, After Sorting directories and files i have got following output as below, now i only want the strings common in them, so the actual output should be as below in the bottom. How do i do that? Thanks -adsi File to be modified:- Common Components for ----> AA... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort data

Hello All, Today i have been asking lots of question, hope to become good in scripting soon with all the wonderful advices i get. The question is i want to sort data a get uniq string from it. The code i am using to generate the output is:- check_sun() { for i in $SUN_PLATFORM do $ECHO... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort command help needed

I have a file with three fields of data for example say we have 1420 $12.56 45 3456 $15.89 14 2341 $25.87 32 I need to use a command to show who is getting paid the highest amount to standard output. I am not sure if I should use a sort command or a copy and paste... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies
CATCODEC(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       CATCODEC(1)

NAME
catcodec -- An open source tool to decode/encode the sample catalogue for OpenTTD SYNOPSIS
catcodec [-d sample_file] [-e sample_file] DESCRIPTION
catcodec decodes and encodes sample catalogues for OpenTTD. These sample catalogues are not much more than some meta-data (description and file name) and raw PCM data. Decoding a sample catalogue, e.g. sample.cat, results in a sample.sfo that contains the file names and descriptions of the samples and all samples with the file name as specified in the catalogue. Encoding a sample catalogue, e.g. sample.cat, reads sample.sfo for the file names and descriptions. It will then load the samples described in sample.sfo and encodes these into sample.cat. Generally speaking encoding a file and then decoding it results in the same file. Decoding of the original, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, sample format will force the output to be 11025 Hz, 8 bits mono because the meta-data of some of the samples is incorrect or even missing. Only PCM WAVE files with only the format and data chunks are supported. Any other formats need to be converted into this. Furthermore only 11025 Hz, 22050 Hz and 44100 Hz with 8 or 16 bits per sample single channel PCM WAVE files are supported. OPTIONS
-d sample_file Decode the given sample catalogue into its components. The sample_file must have the extension '.cat'. For the output meta- data file the '.cat' is replaced with '.sfo'. The actual samples, in PCM WAVE format, are extracted into files using the file names, including extension, as described in the catalogue or meta-data file. If any of the files already exists a backup is made, by adding '.bak', overwriting the existing backup. -e sample_file Encode the components for the given sample file into a sample catalogue. The sample_file must have the extension '.cat'. For the input meta-data file the '.cat' is replaced with '.sfo'. The actual samples, in PCM WAVE format, are read from files using the file names, including extension, as described in the meta-data file. If the sample_file already exists a backup is made, by adding '.bak', overwriting the existing backup. SEE ALSO
openttd(1) the game that uses these sample catalogues. AUTHORS
Remko Bijker <rubidium@openttd.org> November 05, 2009