Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup for HW Mirrored Disks
Operating Systems Solaris Backup for HW Mirrored Disks Post 302295125 by StarSol on Friday 6th of March 2009 05:31:24 PM
Old 03-06-2009
Another reason that made change to raidctl is using and implementing LDoms. I found it a bit complicated maintaining the server with SVM and LDoms. I had to come up with different strategies to make it work (since Sun only provides very simple and basic examples). So I moved to raidctl to get rid of one of the complication factors (i.e. SVM). Costly options are not an option now under the current financial circumstances. FLAR is also an option if it would allow me to make a full backup of the disk. I found a lot of material about FLAR, but can you point me to something that talks about full disk image?

choogendyk, I am also using T5220 (and T2000). Can you share your script so I do not have to re-invent the wheel? Smilie With regards to our business model, we install our application on Sun servers and sell them to our clients (OEM the HW); so we are responsible for the support. Since we partition the disks according to the application needs and manage mirroring, we have to come up with the backup strategy as well. In your case, you bring root partition down to make the backup, right? If that is the case, this means service outage in my case.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

checking to see if logical disks are mirrored.

I have AIX 5.1 I ran these commands and was not able to see what disk were mirrored to what. I thought this is what I should do? lslv -m rd |more lslv -m db |more I get a error stating that it can't find or in the device configuation databse. Is there another way to look? I have a physcal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

2. AIX

Mirrored disk.....

How do I know, which all disks are mirrored? any command? Bala (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Creating an image of a mirrored disks

Hi guys, I havent done this before but iam trying to create an image of a mirrorred drive. Correct me if iam wrong, but when i have two disks setup in raid configuration and have them mirrored in solaris. It then defines at one entity. How would i create a "flar" image of that one entity... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to create multiple-boot system with disks mirrored(RAID1+0) and disk alone

I have a HP proliant ML 570 G3 with two 146GB disk drives mirrored(RAID1+0) windows server 2003 was installed on that disk. I will add a disk.(scsi 300GB) I will install Linux on that additional disk. I want to create multiple-boot system. Is it possible? I wanna know how to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] How to determine that you have 2 disks mirrored ?

hi every body i want to know which command tell me more detailes to know the 2 disks mirrored or not ? in group like vg00 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

To identify if local disks are mirrored

Hello All, Am trynig to identify if the local HD's on our BL860 (running 11v3) are indeed mirrored to each other. Cheers, Cameron (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Are my disks mirrored ?

# metastat d1: Mirror Submirror 0: d11 State: Okay Submirror 1: d12 State: Okay Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size: 14582208 blocks (7.0 GB) d11: Submirror of d1 State: Okay Size: 14582208 blocks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. AIX

rootvg mirrored

I want to increase the size of /tmp by 1GB I know that the command is chfs -a size=+1G /tmp But the rootvg is mirrored and when I do a lsvg -p rootvg, I could see 2 disks. Will there be any impact if I increase the size of /tmp when the rootvg is mirrored ? Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Backup root disks

Hi all! Please I would appreciate some inputs on the following: I have inherited a SUN BLADE chassis with 6 T6320 server modules, in which there is only 1 root disk in all of them. I need to do a backup of the root disk in case those disk crash. But there is no backup device attached to it.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies
vxconfigbackup(1M)														vxconfigbackup(1M)

NAME
vxconfigbackup - back up disk group configuration SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxconfigbackup [-l directory] [[dgname ...] | [dgid ...]] DESCRIPTION
The vxconfigbackup utility can be used to backup up the configuration information for one or more disk groups. The disk groups may be specified either by name or by ID. If no disk groups are specified, all disk group configurations are backed up. OPTIONS
-l directory Specifies a directory other than the default where the backup configuration files are to be written. Note: The default backup directory is /etc/vx/cbr/bk. EXAMPLES
Back up the configuration of the mydg disk group to the directory /dgbackup/mydg: vxconfigbackup -l /dgbackup/mydg mydg FILES
/etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.dginfo Default location of backup file for disk group information. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.diskinfo Default location of backup file for disk attributes. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.binconfig Default location of backup file for binary configuration copy. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.cfgrec Default location of backup file for configuration records in vxprint -m format. NOTES
The vxconfigbackupd daemon automatically backs up a disk group's new configuration to the default backup directory whenever the configura- tion is changed. The vxconfigbackup command is provided to back up the configuration manually at any other desired time. The disk group configuration backup and restore utilities do not save any data in the public region. This includes file system or other application data that is configured within VxVM objects. SEE ALSO
vxconfigbackupd(1M), vxconfigrestore(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxconfigbackup(1M)