Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Zip file with password protection Post 302294970 by pintu on Friday 6th of March 2009 08:29:16 AM
Old 03-06-2009
Zip file with password protection

I am trying to zip a file with password protection.

I have read all or atleast most of the threads on the website, but couldn't come up with a solution.

I am running ZIP version 2.3 on HP-UX but I dont see the -P (password) option. I read somewhere that free versions of zip don't come with -P option. Can someone confirm this assumption. I have already wasted a weeks effort on this.

Can anyone suggest anyway of doing this, we are planning to send out an email (with attachment) to yahoo/gmail/outlook from our UNIX box but the file has to be password protected before it goes out. User will open the attachment from that email.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does unix has password protection for zip files?

How to set password in zip files under unix? There are password protection available in various os. Does unix has password protection for zip files? Is zip and gzip command has it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_prathaban
6 Replies

2. AIX

File password protection/encryption

Can it be done? Ive read in a few places that the crypt program no longer exists on AIX...if its do-able please tell me how. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Syntaxt to zip a file with password protection

Hi Experts, I am an SAP ABAP developer and compleatly stranger to unix and I need a help to extend a small peice of code. Our requirement is to zip a file with password protection in a specified directory. Following is the code I am using to zip a file ZZZZ.TXT. Here YYYY = is the path... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeru4all
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password protect a zip file

Hi, I'm working on Solaris 9 and i need to unzip a password protected zip, which i can do using zip -Ppassword filename however when i have done what i need to do with the file is to zip the file back up with a password. Zip on my system is version 2.3 and does not support this? How can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
0 Replies

5. AIX

How to zip file in AIX with password.

Hi Guru, I have assignment to create script to compress file as .ZIP with password. I don't know the command line in AIX. It's very new for me. I'm try to use zip or tar but I don't have any option for encrypt with password. Please kindly suggest me. Thank you very much. Multidev (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: multidev
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password Protection using Term::ReadKey

Hi Friends, I execute a perl script with password as input but i wish not to print the password when i give the input. Instead when i provide the password it could be shown as "****" instead of original password. I know we can use Term::ReadKey or IO::Prompt for this, but just wanted to know if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

uuencode - .csv file password protection

HI, Can we add password protection for attachment of .CSV file in below command or any alternative solution. uuencode ../reports/gtsa_lmt_pb_rfs_daily.txt gtsa_lmt_pb_rfs_daily-$FILDTE.csv |mailx -s "gtsa_lmt_pb_rfs_daily" $MAILTO Many thanks regards, Sampath (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sampath.Rachcha
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password protection in unix

How to create a file in UNIX which is password protected ? Thanks and Regards, Neeraj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password protect a CSV file: better solution than ZIP password?

Hi We send *.csv with sensitive data to our customers. Our customers open those files with Excel. A new requirement is that we password protect those CSV files. I thought to pack them with ZIP and assign a password to the archive. But Solaris 10 can't encrypt ZIP files. $ zip -P... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip a file with password

Hi, newbie to Linux, is there another way to zip a file with a password other than using 'zip' command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mined
7 Replies
mzip(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mzip(1)

Name
       mzip - change protection mode and eject disk on Zip/Jaz drive

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mzip command is used to issue ZIP disk specific commands on Linux, Solaris or HP-UX. Its syntax is:

mzip [-epqrwx]

Mzip allows the following command line options:

e      Ejects the disk.

f      Force eject even if the disk is mounted (must be given in addition to -e).

r      Write protect the disk.

w      Remove write protection.

p      Password write protect.

x      Password protect

u      Temporarily unprotect the disk until it is ejected.  The disk becomes writable, and reverts back to its old state when ejected.

q      Queries the status

To remove the password, set it to one of the password-less modes -r or -w: mzip will then ask you for the password, and	unlock	the  disk.
       If you have forgotten the password, you can get rid of it by low-level formatting the disk (using your SCSI adapter's BIOS setup).

The  ZipTools  disk  shipped with the drive is also password protected.	On MS-DOS or on a Mac, this password is automatically removed once
       the ZipTools have been installed.  From various articles posted to Usenet, I learned that the password for the tools  disk  is  APlaceForY-
       ourStuff.   Mzip  knows	about  this  password, and tries it first, before prompting you for a password.  Thus mzip -w z: unlocks the tools
       disk.  The tools disk is formatted in a special way so as to be usable both in a PC and in a Mac.  On a PC, the Mac file system appears	as
       a hidden file named `partishn.mac'.  You may erase it to reclaim the 50 Megs of space taken up by the Mac file system.

Bugs
       This  command  is a big kludge.	A proper implementation would take a rework of significant parts of mtools, but unfortunately I don't have
       the time for this right now. The main downside of this implementation is that it is inefficient on some architectures  (several	successive
       calls to mtools, which defeats mtools' caching).

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.13							      28Feb10								   mzip(1)