Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: removing any and all trailing digits? Post 302294953 by Squeakygoose on Friday 6th of March 2009 08:01:04 AM
Old 03-06-2009
sed: removing any and all trailing digits?

We have a large number of oracle database related scripts that utilize the environment variables $ORACLE_SID and $DBNAME. In a single instance database the $ORACLE_SID is the same as the database name $DBNAME. So we have simply set DBNAME = $ORACLE_SID. However, now that we are clustering with RAC, we have multiple $ORACLE_SID variables for each $DBNAME. Which means that DBNAME != $ORACLE_SID. An oracle provided script (oraenv) sets up most the environment automatically but does not set up $DBNAME.

Luckily, the $ORACLE_SID variables are just the $DBNAME with the node number added to the end. E.g. $DBNAME=ORCL $ORACLE_SID=ORCL1

What I need is a way to remove any and all digits from the end of the $ORACLE_SID variable. It should leave any digits that are at the beginning or middle of the $ORACLE_SID.

End result:
Code:
$ORACLE_SID     $DBNAME
ORCL                ORCL
ORCL1              ORCL
ORCL23             ORCL
4ORCL              4ORCL
4ORCL3            4ORCL
OR4CL              OR4CL

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

re: removing trailing space from lines

Not sure why this thread was closed without any explanation, but you can do what you're asking with sed 's/]*$//g' < sourceFile > destFile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oombera
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing trailing spaces from delimited files

Hi All I have a file of the following format (delimited by |) this is field 1 | field 2 (lots of blank spaces) | field 3 (lots of blank space) | field 1 | more text (lots of blank spaces) | dhjdsk | Is there a way I can remove... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: djkane
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing trailing zeroes

So, I can't figure out how to do a previous question with printf, so I'm taking a different approach. Suppose I have a set of numbers: 1200,135.000000,12.30100,3212.3200,1.759403,,1230,101.101010,100.000000 I want to remove all trailing zeroes after the decimal, and, if it ends up orphaned,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing trailing zeros using sed

Hello All, I have a csv file with 3 columns. The file which looks like this 47850000,100,233 23560000,10000,456 78650000,560000,54 34000000,3456,3 The first column has 4 trailing zeros. I have to remove 4 trailing zeroes from 1st field. The output file should appear as follows. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the trailing date from a filename

Hi I have 3 files (say) in a folder as in the example below abc_01012011.csv def_01012011.csv xyz_01012011.csv I need to move these files to a different folder as follows abc.csv def.csv xyz.csv I am trying to put together a script with a for loop which reads the source filenames... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobsn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing just the trailing commas :-(

Hi all, I haven't needed to do any shell based editing for nearly 20 years, and no amount of searching around has found me a solution to this very simple problem :-( I have a csv file. Some lines have three commas at the end. This means the invoice hasn't been paid. I'd like to use sed / grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chardyzulu
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing characters

I have been given a shell script that I need to amend. To do the following extract the filename from the flag file by removing the .flag extension. # Local variables # Find if the flag files exists MASK=coda_mil2*.flag # Are there any files? bookmark="40" fileFound=0 ls -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymay
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing x'0A' characters.

I am trying to remove trailing carriage return (x'0a') from a source program. What is a good way to do this for the whole file? TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Trailing Line

I have been trying to remove empty lines and lines just filled with spaces. I have used the following command which does work. sed -i "/^\s*$/d" Except it leaves one single trailing line at the very end of the file. For the life of me I cant figure out why I cant remove that last trailing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user8282892
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed / awk script to delete the two digits from first 3 digits

Hi All , I am having an input file as stated below 5728 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r03_q_reg_20_/Q 011 611 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r04_q_reg_20_/Q 011 3486... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
NOTMUCH-HOOKS(5)						File Formats Manual						  NOTMUCH-HOOKS(5)

NAME
notmuch-hooks - hooks for notmuch SYNOPSIS
$DATABASEDIR/.notmuch/hooks/* DESCRIPTION
Hooks are scripts (or arbitrary executables or symlinks to such) that notmuch invokes before and after certain actions. These scripts reside in the .notmuch/hooks directory within the database directory and must have executable permissions. The currently available hooks are described below. pre-new This hook is invoked by the new command before scanning or importing new messages into the database. If this hook exits with a non- zero status, notmuch will abort further processing of the new command. Typically this hook is used for fetching or delivering new mail to be imported into the database. post-new This hook is invoked by the new command after new messages have been imported into the database and initial tags have been applied. The hook will not be run if there have been any errors during the scan or import. Typically this hook is used to perform additional query-based tagging on the imported messages. SEE ALSO
notmuch(1), notmuch-config(1), notmuch-count(1), notmuch-dump(1), notmuch-new(1), notmuch-reply(1), notmuch-restore(1), notmuch-search(1), notmuch-search-terms(7), notmuch-show(1), notmuch-tag(1) Notmuch 0.13.2 2012-06-01 NOTMUCH-HOOKS(5)