Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba config file syntax
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Samba config file syntax Post 302294644 by AWSeeker on Thursday 5th of March 2009 02:58:58 PM
Old 03-05-2009
Samba config file syntax

I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

In the samba config file smb.conf in the global settings area... we currently have a domain in the workgroup section as
workgroup = domain_name

I want to add another domain name to allow attaching to samba. What is the syntax to add another domain name? I'm guessing:
workgroup = domain_name anotherdomain_name

Thanks,
Paul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

samba config with WEBMIN Tool

HI, I configured my samba, but it doesn't work correctly, Here is the error message: "d.so.1: /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: fatal: libpopt.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory" But there is a file in /usr/loca/samba/sbin/smbd Can you help me please?, thankx, p. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitr
2 Replies

2. Linux

samba config

I am recently trying to configure my samba so I can share my fedora9 server file to my xp clients. However, I can't make it work so far.. please help. here is what i have done so far: 1. installed samba and in /etc/samba/smb.conf i have: comment = this folder is for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: k2k
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Problems running redhat config samba in the GUI

hi Recently the above option has stopped working all together. On clicking on this option it appears as though the window will open as the outline of the box appears but nothing more. On running this from a command prompt within the GUI , I get the following error: The last line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timcs
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

5. Solaris

SAMBA config / vintala Authentication

could someone Please post step-by step samba config on solaris 10 we use vintala as a authentication tool dont know how to config with vintala Thank You (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterm2121
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris config files syntax

I have recently been told that on a Solaris 10 system # means default settings, and that ## indicates a comment. Therefore, the following setting in the etc/default/login file #RETRIES=5 indicates that the number of failed login attempts allowed is 5. Is this true or false? Should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclarkaz
5 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Copy numerous private Samba-shares as one user. (Syntax question)

Hello Forum, I was overwhelmed by how fast and correct the responses to my first question in this forum was, and I hope I expreience this again today. The reason is that I have to copy a fileserver (Ubuntu 8.04 32 with Samba) to another server via Internet within tomorrow. I have no problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
0 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Samba config for Win7 clients

Hi Guys, Kindly advise what options/settings needed in smb.conf to support win7. currently we are experiencing slow connection issues from our recently upgraded win7 from XP to our Samba server ver. 3.0.33-3.7.el5_3.1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RobertG
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Samba config for windows server

Hi all, I'm using solaris 10 with latest patches applied. I'm using samba to make a directory called /dir1 available from a windows 2003 server. If I do a 'Map network drive' on win 2003 server, I get the error: The specified network is no longer available In the samba-log under... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
0 Replies
LIBSMBCLIENT(7) 							 7							   LIBSMBCLIENT(7)

NAME
libsmbclient - An extension library for browsers and that can be used as a generic browsing API. SYNOPSIS
Browser URL: smb://[[[domain:]user[:password@]]server[/share[/path[/file]]]] [?options] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. libsmbclient is a library toolset that permits applications to manipulate CIFS/SMB network resources using many of the standards POSIX functions available for manipulating local UNIX/Linux files. It permits much more than just browsing, files can be opened and read or written, permissions changed, file times modified, attributes and ACL's can be manipulated, and so on. Of course, its functionality includes all the capabilities commonly called browsing. libsmbclient can not be used directly from the command line, instead it provides an extension of the capabilities of tools such as file managers and browsers. This man page describes the configuration options for this tool so that the user may obtain greatest utility of use. OPTIONS
What the URLs mean: smb:// Shows all workgroups or domains that are visible in the network. The behavior matches that of the Microsoft Windows Explorer. The method of locating the list of workgroups (domains also) varies depending on the setting of the context variable (context->options.browse_max_lmb_count). It is the responsibility of the application that calls this library to set this to a sensible value. This is a compile-time option. This value determines the maximum number of local master browsers to query for the list of workgroups. In order to ensure that the list is complete for those present on the network, all master browsers must be queried. If there are a large number of workgroups on the network, the time spent querying will be significant. For small networks (just a few workgroups), it is suggested to set this value to 0, instructing libsmbclient to query all local master browsers. In an environment that has many workgroups a more reasonable setting may be around 3. smb://name/ This command causes libsmbclient to perform a name look-up. If the NAME<1D> or NAME<1B> exists (workgroup name), libsmbclient will list all servers in the workgroup (or domain). Otherwise, a name look-up for the NAME<20> (machine name) will be performed, and the list of shared resources on the server will be displayed. When libsmbclient is invoked by an application it searches for a directory called .smb in the $HOME directory that is specified in the users shell environment. It then searches for a file called smb.conf which, if present, will fully over-ride the system /etc/samba/smb.conf file. If instead libsmbclient finds a file called ~/.smb/smb.conf.append, it will read the system /etc/samba/smb.conf and then append the contents of the ~/.smb/smb.conf.append to it. libsmbclient will check the users shell environment for the USER parameter and will use its value when if the user parameter was not included in the URL. PROGRAMMERS GUIDE
Watch this space for future updates. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The libsmbclient manpage page was written by John H Terpstra. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 LIBSMBCLIENT(7)