Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Performance Hit With Many Files Post 302294604 by vbe on Thursday 5th of March 2009 01:28:31 PM
Old 03-05-2009
We did once testing of the sort (with VMS, Novell unix MS...) and found out that all true preemptive multi-process-multitask OS where outperformed by the others...
Its the price you pay for equally sharing your time between all the processes...

(For me it proved again that windows server (NT4 W2000) were still not completely preemptive multitask...)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else see a performance hit from ext3

I reinstalled my Linux box with RedHat 7.2 and used the ext3 journaling file system. This thing is a pig now. There isn't much running on the box, and performance is sad. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to hit a url

Hi all, I have a php file that grabs xml, parses it and updates my db accordingly. I want to automate the execution of this process, rather than having to hit the url manually. I have been looking into using cron to execute a script to do this, however i'm not exactly sure what command i would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: restivz77
1 Replies

3. Programming

why multiple SIGINT raises when i hit C-c

hi, in my application, i have set up to capture SIGINT and execute a handler.the problem is whenever i hit C-c, multiple SIGINT are sent to the application.I have blocked the SIGINT right after catching the first one but it is unsuccessful.Here is what i do : jmp_buf main_loop; int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sedighzadeh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hit count on a shell script

I have a unix shell script (ex.sh) written. How to find out how many users (incl. myself) have run this .sh ? I can insert code snipet at top of script if need be. - Ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi368
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Next Best Hit..

Hi.. I need to get the following output from the input file like this INPUT GRM1 GRM1 0 GRM1 ABC1 1 GRM1 FEQ1 2 GRM1 SED1 3 ABC2 GRM1 0 ABC2 ABC2 1 ABC2 FEQ1 2 ABC2 BED1 3 SED1 SED1 0 SED1 SED1 1 SED1 SED1 2 SED1 ABC1 3 OUTPUT: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
7 Replies

6. SuSE

Java hit

Hello, I'm having trouble looking for info for SUSIE on this CVE-2012-4681. This is basically the newest Java hit. It is mostly a web browser issue but I would like to see if the versions on our servers are vulnerable. I already found the pages/info for Solaris and RHEL. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
4 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

vnc password hit from Retina

Hello, I'm having an issue with VNC. Security at work says that they scanned my servers (Solaris, RHEL, SLES) and found that you don't need a password to access a VNC session. I have tested this and you can't login to the VNC session without a password. Can someone tell what the Retina scanner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bitlord
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl to hit the submit button

Hello, I am looking to hit a URL using curl and click on submit button so that I can get the results. The below is the code <input name="tos_accepted" id="tos_accepted" class="button" type="submit" value="Yes, I Agree"/> <input name="tos_discarded" id="tos_discarded"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kochappa
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best performance to merge two files

Hi Gurus, I need to merge two files. file1 (small file, only one line) this is first linefile2 (large file) abc def ghi ... I use below command to merge the file, since the file2 is really large file, the command read whole file2, the performance is not good. cat file1 > file3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
7 Replies
SCHED(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  SCHED(3)

NAME
sched_setparam, sched_getparam, sched_setscheduler, sched_getscheduler, sched_get_priority_max, sched_get_priority_min, sched_rr_get_interval, sched_yield -- process scheduling LIBRARY
POSIX Real-time Library (librt, -lrt) SYNOPSIS
#include <sched.h> int sched_setparam(pid_t pid, const struct sched_param *param); int sched_getparam(pid_t pid, struct sched_param *param); int sched_setscheduler(pid_t pid, int policy, const struct sched_param *param); int sched_getscheduler(pid_t pid); int sched_get_priority_max(int policy); int sched_get_priority_min(int policy); int sched_rr_get_interval(pid_t pid, struct timespec *interval); int sched_yield(void); DESCRIPTION
This section describes the functions used to get scheduling information about processes, and control the scheduling of processes. Available scheduling policies (classes) are: SCHED_OTHER Time-sharing (TS) scheduling policy. The default policy in NetBSD. SCHED_FIFO First in, first out (FIFO) scheduling policy. SCHED_RR Round robin scheduling policy. The struct sched_param contains at least one member: sched_priority Specifies the priority of the process. FUNCTIONS
sched_setparam(pid, param) Sets the scheduling parameters for the process specified by pid to param. If the value of pid is equal to zero, then the calling process is used. sched_getparam(pid, param) Gets the scheduling parameters of the process specified by pid into the structure param. If the value of pid is equal to zero, then the calling process is used. sched_setscheduler(pid, policy, param) Set the scheduling policy and parameters for the process specified by pid. If the value of pid is equal to zero, then the calling process is used. sched_getscheduler(pid) Returns the scheduling policy of the process specified by pid. If the value of pid is equal to zero, then the calling process is used. sched_get_priority_max(policy) Returns the maximal priority which may be used for the scheduling policy specified by policy. sched_get_priority_min(policy) Returns the minimal priority which may be used for the scheduling policy specified by policy. sched_rr_get_interval(pid, interval) Returns the time quantum into the structure interval of the process specified by pid. If the value of pid is equal to zero, then the calling process is used. The process must be running at SCHED_RR scheduling policy. sched_yield() Yields a processor voluntarily and gives other threads a chance to run without waiting for an involuntary preemptive switch. sched_setaffinity_np(pid, size, cpuset) Set the affinity mask specified by cpuset for the process specified by pid. At least one valid CPU must be set in the mask. sched_getaffinity_np(pid, size, cpuset) Get the affinity mask of the process specified by pid into the cpuset. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
Setting CPU affinity(3) requires super-user privileges. Ordinary users can be allowed to control CPU affinity of their threads via the security.models.extensions.user_set_cpu_affinity sysctl(7). See secmodel_extensions(9). Portable applications should not use the sched_setaffinity_np() and sched_getaffinity_np() functions. RETURN VALUES
sched_setparam(), sched_getparam(), sched_rr_get_interval(), and sched_yield() return 0 on success. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. sched_setscheduler() returns the previously used scheduling policy on success. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. sched_getscheduler() returns the scheduling policy on success. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. sched_get_priority_max() and sched_get_priority_min() return the maximal/minimal priority value on success. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. sched_setaffinity_np() and sched_getaffinity_np() return 0 on success. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The sched_setparam() and sched_setscheduler() functions fail if: [EINVAL] At least one of the specified scheduling parameters was invalid. [EPERM] The calling process has no appropriate privileges to perform the operation. [ESRCH] No process can be found corresponding to the PID specified by pid, and the value of pid is not zero. The sched_getparam() and sched_getscheduler() functions fail if: [EPERM] The calling process is not a super-user and its effective user id does not match the effective user-id of the specified process. [ESRCH] No process can be found corresponding to that specified by pid, and the value of pid is not zero. The sched_get_priority_max() and sched_get_priority_min() functions fail if: [EINVAL] The specified scheduling policy is invalid. The sched_rr_get_interval() function fails if: [ESRCH] No process can be found corresponding to that specified by pid, and the value of pid is not zero. SEE ALSO
affinity(3), cpuset(3), pset(3), schedctl(8) STANDARDS
These functions, except sched_setaffinity_np() and sched_getaffinity_np(), are expected to conform the IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') standard. HISTORY
The scheduling functions appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
December 4, 2011 BSD