Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Capturing a value in to variable. Post 302294510 by ravi0435 on Thursday 5th of March 2009 10:49:39 AM
Old 03-05-2009
Capturing a value in to variable.

Hi,
I currently have a shell script where it captures in the value in to 'TOTAL' and outputs to a file, i want to capture another value of a query in to another variable and output it.

Current script:

sqlplus -s $user <<EOD | read TOTAL
set heading off
set pages 0
set feedback off
set verify off
set trimout on
set colsep ""
set tab off
select count(*) from staging;
quit;
EOD

echo "Total recs came in the file - ($TOTAL) \n" >> $count

I am trying the following:

sqlplus -s $user <<EOD | read TOTAL TOTAL__AMT
set heading off
set pages 0
set feedback off
set verify off
set trimout on
set colsep ""
set tab off
select count(*) from staging;
select sum(amt) from staging;
quit;
EOD

echo "Total recs came in the file - ($TOTAL) - ($TOTAL_AMT)\n" >> $count

-----------------

My idea is to read the figure in to the new variable as we are already invoking sql plus, Unable to achieve the above, can someone tell me if its even possible, if its not, then the alternative is to write all the chunk again for capturing it in to new variable(TOTAL__AMT)....any suggestion would be appreciated.

thanks,
R

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing value into variable

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, I am trying to write a shell script, which will automate the process of mailing the invoices at the end of the day. For major part I am using Oracle database function. The problem is I want to capture the value returned by the Oracle function into the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasad01
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing some data from a file into a variable

I have a file with some values in a tab delimted format Eg: 'test' contains: a<tab>b<tab>c<tab>Trk_12345678 now i need to capture this value 'Trk_12345678' into a variable say 'x' and append that value of 12345678 to 12345679 and store is back to a new 'test1' file as : 'test1'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiroh_1982
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing a number at the end of line and store it as variable

Hello, Would someone guide me on how to write a shell script the would search for a phone no using at the end text file using sed or awk and store it in a varaible or print it. The text file is in this form text or numbers in first line text or numbers in second line . . . Firsname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amuthiga
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing the o/p to a variable

Hi, #Script mentioned below txt=($(echo `./demo1.sh`)) p=0 for p in "$txt" do col=($(./generateTable /import/data01/sri/Developer/SqlReport/Lab/23/${var} "$p")) . . . . done o/p displayed upon executing a script called "demo1.sh" is as below(two seperate lines):... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing new lines when capturing output to variable

Explain this? $ ls | grep -e "crd\|cs" crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo $CLONES; crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo "$CLONES"; crd cs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blasto333
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing a file to store in a variable

I have a file in a windows directory the file is delivery to us like this 07210900.dat where 07210900 is the current date. If I want to store that file in a variable UpLoadFileName and rename, so I can Ftp later to a UNIX directory, I am doing this, is this correct? CDRemoteDir='cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with capturing homedir via ssh and saving to variable

I need to capture the homedir using the ssh command and then saving it to a variable. The results from the following command is what I need to capture to a variable: NOTE: the value I'm getting back is also incorrect. as it seems to be getting the home dir from the local server and not the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reneuend
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Capturing output in a korn variable

Hi, I'm new to korn and having trouble capturing the text output from one program in an array that I can then feed into another program. Direct approaches didn't work, so I've tried to break it down thus: The program lonlat2pixline gives the values I need in the second column, so I print that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daurin
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED capturing information from a variable

Hi I can't get this line to work. I need to capture what is between Home and plugin_out, where the .* is located. RUN=`echo '${TSP_FILEPATH_PLUGIN_DIR}' | sed -e 's^/results/analysis/output/Home/\(.*\)/plugin_out/g'`; echo ${RUN}; I'm getting the error sed: -e expression #1, char 51:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdilts
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)