Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup for HW Mirrored Disks
Operating Systems Solaris Backup for HW Mirrored Disks Post 302294343 by Grippo on Thursday 5th of March 2009 04:26:46 AM
Old 03-05-2009
I have a preference not to use raidctl to be honest - it removed any flexibility for you to temporarily use that disk in the event that you need to.
We regularly make FLAR archives of system mirrored under SVM without having to split the mirrors.
Your other option, although can be costly, is to invest in a proper backup strategy and use something like NBU or Solstice Backup (Legato Networker).

As to using HW mirrored disks - the OS does not see them as individual disks so just treat them as a single disk for the purposes of backups.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

checking to see if logical disks are mirrored.

I have AIX 5.1 I ran these commands and was not able to see what disk were mirrored to what. I thought this is what I should do? lslv -m rd |more lslv -m db |more I get a error stating that it can't find or in the device configuation databse. Is there another way to look? I have a physcal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

2. AIX

Mirrored disk.....

How do I know, which all disks are mirrored? any command? Bala (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Creating an image of a mirrored disks

Hi guys, I havent done this before but iam trying to create an image of a mirrorred drive. Correct me if iam wrong, but when i have two disks setup in raid configuration and have them mirrored in solaris. It then defines at one entity. How would i create a "flar" image of that one entity... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to create multiple-boot system with disks mirrored(RAID1+0) and disk alone

I have a HP proliant ML 570 G3 with two 146GB disk drives mirrored(RAID1+0) windows server 2003 was installed on that disk. I will add a disk.(scsi 300GB) I will install Linux on that additional disk. I want to create multiple-boot system. Is it possible? I wanna know how to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] How to determine that you have 2 disks mirrored ?

hi every body i want to know which command tell me more detailes to know the 2 disks mirrored or not ? in group like vg00 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

To identify if local disks are mirrored

Hello All, Am trynig to identify if the local HD's on our BL860 (running 11v3) are indeed mirrored to each other. Cheers, Cameron (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Are my disks mirrored ?

# metastat d1: Mirror Submirror 0: d11 State: Okay Submirror 1: d12 State: Okay Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size: 14582208 blocks (7.0 GB) d11: Submirror of d1 State: Okay Size: 14582208 blocks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. AIX

rootvg mirrored

I want to increase the size of /tmp by 1GB I know that the command is chfs -a size=+1G /tmp But the rootvg is mirrored and when I do a lsvg -p rootvg, I could see 2 disks. Will there be any impact if I increase the size of /tmp when the rootvg is mirrored ? Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Backup root disks

Hi all! Please I would appreciate some inputs on the following: I have inherited a SUN BLADE chassis with 6 T6320 server modules, in which there is only 1 root disk in all of them. I need to do a backup of the root disk in case those disk crash. But there is no backup device attached to it.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies
vxconfigrestore(1M)													       vxconfigrestore(1M)

NAME
vxconfigrestore - restore disk group configuration SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxconfigrestore [-c | -d | -n | -p] [-l directory] {dgname | dgid} DESCRIPTION
The vxconfigrestore utility is used to restore a disk group's configuration information if this has been lost or become corrupted. The disk group whose configuration is to be restore is specified either by name or by ID. Any disks whose private region headers have become corrupted are reinstalled when the disk group configuration is restored. If you choose not to reinstall the VxVM headers for these disks, it may not be possible to restore the disk group. The disk group configuration backup files may have been automatically created by the vxconfigbackupd daemon, or manually by running the vxconfigbackup command. Restoration of a disk group configuration has two stages: precommit and commit. The precommit stage allows you to temporarily load the con- figuration that is to be restored, and examine it using the vxprint utility. At this stage, the disk group configuration is read-only. No permanent changes are written to disk until you choose to commit them. If desired, you can abandon the restore operation at the precommit stage. OPTIONS
-c (Commit) Permanently commits changes to the disks. The restoration must be at the precommit stage for this command to succeed. Volumes are synchronized in the background. For large volume configurations, it may take some time to perform the synchroniza- tion. You can use the vxtask -l list command to monitor the progress of this operation. -d (Decommit) Abandons the restore operation at the precommit stage. -n (Precommit: no installation of VxVM disk header) Loads the disk group configuration at the precommit stage. This option speci- fies that disks whose private region headers have become corrupted are not to be reinstalled. -l directory Specifies a directory other than the default (/etc/vx/cbr/bk) where the backup configuration files are located. -p (Precommit: load) Loads the disk group configuration at the precommit stage. This option specifies that disks whose private region headers have become corrupted are to be reinstalled. The vxprint command can be used to examine the disk group configura- tion. Note: The volumes have not yet been synchronized at this stage. This is the default operation if no option is specified. EXAMPLES
Load the configuration of the mydg disk group from the default directory, and reinstall disks that have corrupted VxVM disk headers: vxconfigrestore -p mydg Load the configuration of the mydg1 disk group from the backup files in the directory /dgbackup/mydg1 without reinstalling any disks that have corrupted private region disk headers: vxconfigrestore -n -l /dgbackup/mydg1 mydg1 Abandon the restoration of the mydg2 disk group at the precommit stage: vxconfigrestore -d -l /dgbackup/mydg2 mydg2 Commit the restoration of the configuration of the mydg disk group from the backup files in the directory /dgbackup/mydg: vxconfigrestore -c -l /dgbackup/mydg mydg FILES
/etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.dginfo Default location of backup file for disk group information. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.diskinfo Default location of backup file for disk attributes. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.binconfig Default location of backup file for binary configuration copy. /etc/vx/cbr/bk/dgname.dgid/dgid.cfgrec Default location of backup file for configuration records in vxprint -m format. NOTES
A disk group must be restored on the same physical disks as are defined in the configuration backup files. The disk group configuration backup and restore utilities do not save any data in the public region. This includes file system or other application data that is configured within VxVM objects. A shared disk group in a cluster is restored as a private disk group. After the commit phase has completed, you can deport the private disk group and re-import it as a shared disk group. SEE ALSO
vxconfigbackup(1M), vxconfigbackupd(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxconfigrestore(1M)