Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to store the output of "time dd if= of=" in a variable Post 302294102 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 4th of March 2009 12:40:52 PM
Old 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by amio
I need to store the real seconds of the following command in a variable. How could it be done?
Code:
time=$( { time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=2048;sync } 2>&1 > /dev/null  )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help formatting bash "time" variable to HH:MM:SS format

Ok, this is going to be hard to describe, but here it goes. I have written a bash script that, while executing starts a timer, and when done stops the timer. The $RUNTIME variable value is in seconds, so the variable usually equals a number like 126 (equals 2 minutes 6 seconds). In my script I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikingshelmut
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing the output of cmd from "eval" to a variable

Hello, I need help with the eval command. I have been building a lengthy cmd using eval, and I need to create $var from the output of the cmd. Here is what I have. Out=/dfezz1/output.txt Node="'LPAR Info:'" Gr3p0=" |grep" Printc=" prtconf" Output1=" 1>>$Out 0>&1" Cat1="cat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfezz1
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

store the output of "find" command in a variable?

I intend to find the path/full location of a file(filename given by user thru "read filenme") using "find" or any other command and then store it's output in a variable for some other processing. But struggling to put all things together (i.e finding the fully qualified location of that file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to store "-e" in variable ??????

p="-e" echo $p It is not returning the value "-e" stored. Instead returns null. I am wondering how could this happen. Please help me out.I tried all possibilities like p='-e' | p="\-e". Nothing seems to work. :confused::confused: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanneykar
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store Host lookup in variable ("on the fly")

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why I can't store a host lookup in a variable. for line in $(< blacklist) do STOREIP=host $line; if ]; then $line >> blacklist2; else $line >> blacklist3; fi done Result: "ip" command not found .. so how would I store the host lookup in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sOliver
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get "n" number of lines from the specified file and store the output to the new file

Hiii. How are you all. .. I have started to learn bash scripting.. . and I am pretty much trying to execute this script which I am still not successful.. . This is what I am trying to do. .. need to get "n" number of lines from the specified file and store the output to the new file in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zsycho
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to store "python --version" to a shell variable

Hi All, I need to get the version of python installed and store it in a variable for later use. Whereas it is printing on the console instead of storing to variable. I am able to store output of ls command in a variable. Please check the below code : root@myhost:/volumes/srini# cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasan.neel
4 Replies
o2image(8)							OCFS2 Manual Pages							o2image(8)

NAME
o2image - Copy or restore OCFS2 file system meta-data SYNOPSIS
o2image [-r] [-I] device image-file DESCRIPTION
o2image copies the OCFS2 file system meta-data from the device to the specified image-file. This image file contains the file system skeleton that includes the inodes, directory names and file names. It does not include any file data. This image file can be useful to debug certain problems that are not reproducible otherwise. Like on-disk corruptions. It could also be used to analyse the file system layout in an aging file system with an eye towards improving performance. As the image-file contains a copy of all the meta-data blocks, it can be a large file. By default, it is created in a packed format, in which all meta-data blocks are written back-to-back. With the -r option, the user could choose to have the file in the raw (or sparse) for- mat, in which the blocks are written to the same offset as they are on the device. debugfs.ocfs2 understands both formats. o2image also has the option, -I, to restore the meta-data from the image file onto the device. This option will rarely be useful to end- users and has been written specifically for developers and testers. OPTIONS
-r Copies the meta-data to the image-file in the raw format. Use this option only if the destination file system supports sparse files. If unsure, do not use this option and let the tool create the image-file in the packed format. -I Restores meta-data from the image-file onto the device. CAUTION: This option could corrupt the file system. EXAMPLES
[root@node1 ~]# o2image /dev/sda1 sda1.out Copies metadata blocks from /dev/sda1 device to sda1.out file [root@node1 ~] o2image -I /dev/sda1 sda1.out Use with CAUTION. Copies meta-data blocks from sda1.out onto the /dev/sda1 device. SEE ALSO
debugfs.ocfs2(8) fsck.ocfs2(8) AUTHORS
Oracle Corporation COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007, 2010 Oracle. All rights reserved. Version 1.4.3 February 2010 o2image(8)