Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using awk in a for loop (getting ksh variable) Post 302293949 by radoulov on Wednesday 4th of March 2009 06:27:07 AM
Old 03-04-2009
Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris!
Code:
awk '!_[$1]++ { 
  fn && close(fn)
  fn = $1 "_data.csv" 
  }
{ print > fn }' infile

For coma separated values add -F, at the beginning of the command:

Code:
awk -F, '!_[$1]++ { 
  fn && close(fn)
  fn = $1 "_data.csv" 
  }
{ print > fn }' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to awk while in a shell for loop

I am a newbie to awk and c programming, however am not a unix newbie. However, I do need help with a kshell script I am writing. It is almost complete, the last step is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is cat a text file that has usernames. Then, using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh variable pass to awk

I'm trying to store the response from a nawk command inside of a ksh script. The command is: text=$(nawk -F: '$1 ~ /${imgArray}/ {print $2}' ${etcDir}/captions.txt) From what I can tell, the imgArray variable is not being expanding when it is inside the single quote ('). Is there something I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meman1188
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing KSH variable to AWK with two loops

Hi, I need some help to figure out why an outer for loop KSH variable does not decode in AWK but inner for loop does. Below is my code, If I hard code variable 'SUBSEQ' in AWK it works but if I try to pass the SUBSEQ from KSH, it does not and when I pass the variable 'NAM' from KSH it works: I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chowdhut
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop in awk script using ksh

Guys, I am new in awk , I face problem while i try to use for loop in awk, I am using ksh, i am trying to set a for loop which runs as man times as the records in a file , the for loop like for(a=1;a<=5;a++) is working in my awk script but the one i need is not working :wall: for example ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: djahmed
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable in a while loop (.ksh script)

Hello Everyone, I'm still trying to grasp many concepts in .ksh scripting, one of them being variables inside loops. My problem is the following: * I'm trying to set a variable inside a while read loop to reuse it outside of said loop. My lines are the following :... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Variable assignment issue Ksh script

Hi There, I am writing a ksh script which assigns variable values from file "A" and passes that variables to file "B". While passing the parameters an additional "$" sign is being assigned to awk -v option. Could any one help me with this please. #!/bin/ksh head -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: problem for loop through variable

Hi, input: AAA|1 my script (the function is just an example): gawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"} function repeat(str, n, rep, i){ for(i=1; i<=n; i++) rep=rep str return rep } { variable_1=repeat($1,$2) variable_2=repeat($1,$2+1) variable_3=repeat($1,$2+3) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable and awk inside for loop

Thanks all for taking time out and reading this thread and big Thanks to all who have come forward for rescue. Background: I have a variable "nbrofcols" that has number of columns from a data file. Now, using this count in for loop, I am trying to get the maximum length of each column present... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: svks1985
7 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)