Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Exit from sourced script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exit from sourced script Post 302293897 by angad.makkar on Wednesday 4th of March 2009 04:43:06 AM
Old 03-04-2009
Question Exit from sourced script

Hello,
I have written a script (say chld.sh). its structure is as follows:

------------------------
#!/bin/sh

usage()
{
echo "chld.sh <param1> <param2>"
exit 0
}

chk_param_1()
{
case $param1 in
c) export PATH=$PATH:/home_a/bin/execs;;
d) export PATH=$PATH:/home_b/bin/execs;;
*) usage;;
esac
}

chk_param_2()
{
echo "Chk Param 2"
}

clear
param1=$1
param2=$2
chk_param_1
chk_param_2
------------------------

Now I source this script, as I want the new PATH variable in my current environment. Hence I give a alias in my environment as
alias set_path='. ~/chld.sh'

Now when I call the script as:
set_path c ........it works fine
set_path d..........also works fine.

But if I give "set_path e"......it displays the usage and EXITS/LOGOUTS from my parent shell i.e. the main shell.

I know the reason is coz due to sourcing, it runs the chld.sh in the current shell and not another subshell.
But please tell me how to do this.

Whenever I display "usage".....i dont want to continue ahead in the script.
Simply come out of this script.

Please HELP!!

Last edited by angad.makkar; 03-04-2009 at 05:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

which file is sourced by bash on login (Mac OS X 10.5.3)?

Hi: So my current Python (2.52) rig is not working as intended. "echo $PATH" in bash gives me 'X'" that's not what i want, so i need to change my path. To do that, there appeared to be four choices (all in my ~/ directory--note: I'm root, it's my Mac, but i'm in a user account): .profile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex_Land
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Sourced file location

The sample scripts below, I am looking for the location of the sourced b.sh file. The b.sh file is source by multiple files, so it is not feasible to rely on a "global" variable or passed argument. Is there any way to determine the location of b.sh within b.sh? a.sh #!/bin/ksh echo "a:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Al262
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quitting from a script, either sourced or not

This is a very simple problem, I am wondering why I can find no answer anywhere... I have a script that can be run either sourced or not. This script has some place where it needs to quit execution (e.g., when an error is found) If I "exit", the sourced call would exit the parent shell, but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadMage
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep sql error in shell script and exit the script?

I need help in the following script. I want to grep the sql errors insert into the error table and exit the shell script if there is any error, otherwise keep running the scripts. Here is my script #!/bin/csh -f source .orapass set user = $USER set pass = $PASS cd /opt/data/scripts echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Installing Env::Sourced

Hello, I am trying to install Env::Sourced and i get the following error. sh: source: not found sh: include.sh: not found Unable to determine your shells source program, typically 'source' or '.' How can i overcome this? Best Regards, Christos (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status of a command in nner script to the outer script?

Hi all, I have a shell script inside which i am executing another shell script. In the inner script im executing a command. i want the status of that command in the outer script to perform some validations. How to get its status please help!!1 Im using ksh. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture exit code of child script and send it to parent script?

#!/usr/local/bin/bash set -vx /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/PalacefilesWait /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/prodEnvSetup 03212013 & if then echo "fatal error: Palace/HardRock failed!!!!" 1>&2 echo "Palace Failed" | mail -s "Link Failed at Palace/HardRock" -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the exit code of a shell script in a perl script.?

hi, i want to pop up an alert box using perl script. my requirement is. i am using a html page which calls a perl script. this perl script calls a shell script.. after the shell script ends its execution, i am using exit 0 to terminate the shell script successfully and exit 1 to terminate the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preloading open() for files sourced by tcsh

I am overriding the file open system calls (open, open64, fopen, fopen64, freopen, freopen64) in a dynamic library and setting LD_PRELOAD to point to that library. Here is a sample script I'm testing this on - #!/bin/tcsh source testcsh1.csh source testbash1.sh On RHEL 5.7 (tcsh 6.14.00), the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: endgame
2 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard file descriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unprivileged # process can increase its soft limit up to the hard limit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" NOTES
This script is not meant as startup script for daemons or somesuch. It has nothing to do with a rc.local style script. It's just a handler for things executed from /etc/inittab. Experimenting with this can make your system un(re)bootable. FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). July 10, 2003 INITSCRIPT(5)