Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find file grep it and print file name Post 302293772 by borderblaster on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 06:17:21 PM
Old 03-03-2009
got it -H switch on grep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a number in a file to find them in another file

Hi, I tried to simulate some example in Shell particularly finding item and matching in another file. A very simple example:- Basically I have 2 files, file A and file B. In file A, I have columns of fields such that:- aaa 107 bbb 108 ccc 109 In file B, I have columns of fields... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find locked files, print file path, unlock file

using OS X and the Terminal, I'd like to find all locked files in a specified directory, unlock them, and print a list of those files that were unlocked how can I do this? I'm familiar with chflags nouchg for unlocking one file but not familiar with unix enough to do what I'd like. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file and print only contents with a hit by grep

Hi, can someone help me. I have some files and search a content in this files. If i have a hit I will print a output: filename:content But are more hits in one file: The output is always filename:content E.G. Seach about "three" file1 {one, two, three, four, three} file2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmää
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File find | xargs grep for pattern file

Folks I've been struggling this with for far too liong now and need your help! I've been happily using grep for a search of a directory, to list the files which contain a string: find . -type f -mtime -5 -print | xargs grep -l 'invoiceID=\"12345\"' Now the list of 'invoiceID' I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find a column from one file and print certain columns in second file

Hi, I need helping in finding some of the text in one file and some columns which have same column in file 1 EG cat file_1 aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee fffff gggg hhhh cat file_2 aaaa,abcd,effgh,ereref,name,age,sex,........... bbbb,efdfh,erere,afdafds,name,age,sex.............. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print file name when running grep from within find

Solaris 10 When running grep from within find command (don't know the technical term for 'running from within' ) , find command returns only the line which contains the pattern. Is there any way to get the file name printed as well ? $ pwd /opt/testdir/anotherDir $ $ $ cat findme.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/print/ a test file

cat abc.txt Filename: SHA_AED_Monthly_SNR_20150331.txt.gz Data Format: ASCII with carriage returns and linefeeds Compression: GZIP GZIP Bytes: 36893068 Unzipped Bytes : 613794510 Records: 851310 Record Length: 738 Blocksize: 32472 Filename: SHA_AED_SNR_ChangeLog_20150331.txt.gz Data... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find columns in a file based on header and print to new file

Hello, I have to fish out some specific columns from a file based on the header value. I have the list of columns I need in a different file. I thought I could read in the list of headers I need, # file with header names of required columns in required order headers_file=$2 # read contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep: Retrieve two strings from one file to find them anyone on line in another file

I am having trouble matching *two* strings from one file anywhere in a line of a second file, and could use some help getting this figured out. My preference would be to use grep for this because I would like to take advantage of its -A option. The latter is due to the fact that I would like both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)