Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random Sentence Generator
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random Sentence Generator Post 302293592 by ce9888 on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 11:55:11 AM
Old 03-03-2009
What sentence should look like ? Only alphabetics ? Spaces ? Numbers ? special characters ? Perl, awk ? Shell ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Does Solaris have a random number generator?

I am trying to find a way to generate random numbers within a shell script. Does Solaris have a utility that will generate random numbers? Thanks in advance. B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: one_ring99
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to ask for a sentence and then count number of spaces in the sentence

Hi People, I need some Help to write a unix script that asks for a sentence to be typed out then with the sentence. Counts the number of spaces within the sentence and then echo's out "The Number Of Spaces In The Sentence is 4" as a example Thanks Danielle (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie101208
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[grep] how to grep a sentence which has quotation marks "sentence"

I would like to check with grep in this configuration file: { "alt-speed-down": 200, "alt-speed-enabled": true, "alt-speed-time-begin": 1140, "alt-speed-time-day": 127, "...something..." : true, ... } "alt-speed-enabled" (the third line of the file) is setted to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciro314
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need specialized random string generator script

Hi, I need a script that will generate a set of random strings in sequence, with the ability to predetermine the length, quantity, and alphabet of individual string, and to use the outputs of earlier strings in the sequence to define the parameters of later strings. For examples, I might want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vajrajames
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A crude random byte generator...

There was an upload recently on generating a pseudo-random file when /dev/random does NOT exist. This does not need /dev/random, /dev/urandom or $RANDOM either... (I assume $RANDOM relies on the /dev/random device in some way.) This code uses hexdump just because I like hexdump for ease of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (or) UNIX random RGB colors generator?

Dear UNIX Friends, I was wondering if there is a random RGB color generator or any function in any unix platforms. Please share your ideas. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies
rand(3C)																  rand(3C)

NAME
rand(), rand_r(), srand() - simple random-number generator SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
uses a multiplicative, congruential, random-number generator with period 2^32 that returns successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^15-1. can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. returns a random number at the address pointed to by the randval parameter. The seed parameter can be set at any time to start the random- number generator at an arbitrary point. Note The spectral properties of leave a great deal to be desired. provides a much better, though more elaborate, random-number generator (see drand48(3C)). RETURN VALUE
If seed or randval is NULL, returns 0. Otherwise, returns a psuedo-random integer. EXAMPLES
The following: int x, y; srand(10); x = rand(); y = rand(); would produce the same results as: int x, y, s = 10; x=rand_r(&s); y=rand_r(&s); WARNINGS
Users of should note that rand_r() now conforms with POSIX.1c. The old prototype of is supported for compatibility with existing DCE applications only. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), random(3M), thread_safety(5), random(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rand(3C)