Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl socket
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl socket Post 302293532 by pludi on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 08:29:20 AM
Old 03-03-2009
AFAIK, the Listen option only defines the listen queue, eg. the maximum number of concurrent connection tries. As soon as your program accept()s a connection one of these slots gets freed.
And I'd suggest not allowing unlimited connections for your daemon as this might kill your system if too many resources are used.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple socket programming in perl

hi i want to write simple socket program which will listen on socket . here is the code ## read msg on socket #! /usr/bin/perl use IO::Socket::INET; my $MySocket= IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalPort=>1234, Proto=>'udp') ; while ()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

3. Programming

which socket should socket option on be set

Hi all, On the server side, one socket is used for listening, the others are used for communicating with the client. My question is: if i want to set option for socket, which socket should be set on? If either can be set, what's the different? Again, what's the different if set option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blademan100
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl socket question

Hi there, Really quick question that I have been unable to find an answer for on the web is simply, can use the newer IO::Socket module on my sever process and use the older perl built-in "socket" module to connect to the IO:socket? or do i need to have the same module (be it socket or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

5. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

6. Programming

Error with socket operation on non-socket

Dear Experts, i am compiling my code in suse 4.1 which is compiling fine, but at runtime it is showing me for socket programming error no 88 as i searched in errno.h it is telling me socket operation on non socket, what is the meaning of this , how to deal with this error , please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

7. Programming

perl socket issue

Hi I am teaching myself perl and am writing a socket application to get experience. I am using Eclipse with the EPIC plugin to run the code in debug mode. I think that sometimes the script is not releasing the port if I terminate it in debug mode as I am occasionally getting the message: - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Socket Programming in Perl

Hi All I am getting an error when using the below code Receiver use IO::Socket; $sock = new IO::Socket::INET (LocalHost => 'goldengate', LocalPort => 1200, Proto => 'tcp', Listen => 5, Reuse => 1 ); die "Socket could not be created. Reason: $!" unless $sock; while ($new_sock =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Check if socket is connected before sending data

Hello community, I'm programming a simple code using socket connection in perl: $sock = new IO::Socket::INET( PeerAddr => '192.168.10.7', PeerPort => 8000, Proto => 'tcp'); $sock or die "no socket :$!";Then sending data using a loop: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-SOCKET-ACTIVATE(1)				      systemd-socket-activate					SYSTEMD-SOCKET-ACTIVATE(1)

NAME
systemd-socket-activate - Test socket activation of daemons SYNOPSIS
systemd-socket-activate [OPTIONS...] daemon [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-socket-activate may be used to launch a socket-activated service program from the command line for testing purposes. It may also be used to launch individual instances of the service program per connection. The daemon to launch and its options should be specified after options intended for systemd-socket-activate. If the --inetd option is given, the socket file descriptor will be used as the standard input and output of the launched process. Otherwise, standard input and output will be inherited, and sockets will be passed through file descriptors 3 and higher. Sockets passed through $LISTEN_FDS to systemd-socket-activate will be passed through to the daemon, in the original positions. Other sockets specified with --listen= will use consecutive descriptors. By default, systemd-socket-activate listens on a stream socket, use --datagram and --seqpacket to listen on datagram or sequential packet sockets instead (see below). OPTIONS
-l address, --listen=address Listen on this address. Takes a string like "2000" or "127.0.0.1:2001". -a, --accept Launch an instance of the service program for each connection and pass the connection socket. -d, --datagram Listen on a datagram socket (SOCK_DGRAM), instead of a stream socket (SOCK_STREAM). May not be combined with --seqpacket. --seqpacket Listen on a sequential packet socket (SOCK_SEQPACKET), instead of a stream socket (SOCK_STREAM). May not be combined with --datagram. --inetd Use the inetd protocol for passing file descriptors, i.e. as standard input and standard output, instead of the new-style protocol for passing file descriptors using $LISTEN_FDS (see above). -E VAR[=VALUE], --setenv=VAR[=VALUE] Add this variable to the environment of the launched process. If VAR is followed by "=", assume that it is a variable-value pair. Otherwise, obtain the value from the environment of systemd-socket-activate itself. --fdname=NAME[:NAME...] Specify names for the file descriptors passed. This is equivalent to setting FileDescriptorName= in socket unit files, and enables use of sd_listen_fds_with_names(3). Multiple entries may be specifies using separate options or by separating names with colons (":") in one option. In case more names are given than descriptors, superfluous ones will be ignored. In case less names are given than descriptors, the remaining file descriptors will be unnamed. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
$LISTEN_FDS, $LISTEN_PID, $LISTEN_FDNAMES See sd_listen_fds(3). $SYSTEMD_LOG_TARGET, $SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL, $SYSTEMD_LOG_COLOR, $SYSTEMD_LOG_LOCATION Same as in systemd(1). EXAMPLES
Example 1. Run an echo server on port 2000 $ systemd-socket-activate -l 2000 --inetd -a cat Example 2. Run a socket-activated instance of systemd-journal-gatewayd(8) $ systemd-socket-activate -l 19531 /lib/systemd/systemd-journal-gatewayd SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.socket(5), systemd.service(5), sd_listen_fds(3), sd_listen_fds_with_names(3), cat(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-SOCKET-ACTIVATE(1)