Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Performance Hit With Many Files Post 302293405 by cyner on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 04:40:02 AM
Old 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by otheus
You do know one way to store large amounts of files is to create a directory hierarchy that is keyed on the filenames themselves? So files named "ergo1802.txt" might be stored in:
Code:
    data/er/go/18/ergo1802.txt

Yes, that would probably be the smartest design if the file names are randomized or evenly distributed. I know the users directories at Sourceforge are organized like that (something like /home/u/us/username). Unfortunately, I've inherited a legacy system, and first need to determine if it's worth the trouble to change the design.

Maybe I should create a JFS partition on a virtual Linux machine and do some benchmarking. I don't have access to an idle AIX machine comparable to the one used in production. Of course, such a test would differ from "reality" in some ways: different OS, CPU architecture and storage solutions (local IDE drive compared to SAN).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else see a performance hit from ext3

I reinstalled my Linux box with RedHat 7.2 and used the ext3 journaling file system. This thing is a pig now. There isn't much running on the box, and performance is sad. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to hit a url

Hi all, I have a php file that grabs xml, parses it and updates my db accordingly. I want to automate the execution of this process, rather than having to hit the url manually. I have been looking into using cron to execute a script to do this, however i'm not exactly sure what command i would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: restivz77
1 Replies

3. Programming

why multiple SIGINT raises when i hit C-c

hi, in my application, i have set up to capture SIGINT and execute a handler.the problem is whenever i hit C-c, multiple SIGINT are sent to the application.I have blocked the SIGINT right after catching the first one but it is unsuccessful.Here is what i do : jmp_buf main_loop; int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sedighzadeh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hit count on a shell script

I have a unix shell script (ex.sh) written. How to find out how many users (incl. myself) have run this .sh ? I can insert code snipet at top of script if need be. - Ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi368
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Next Best Hit..

Hi.. I need to get the following output from the input file like this INPUT GRM1 GRM1 0 GRM1 ABC1 1 GRM1 FEQ1 2 GRM1 SED1 3 ABC2 GRM1 0 ABC2 ABC2 1 ABC2 FEQ1 2 ABC2 BED1 3 SED1 SED1 0 SED1 SED1 1 SED1 SED1 2 SED1 ABC1 3 OUTPUT: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
7 Replies

6. SuSE

Java hit

Hello, I'm having trouble looking for info for SUSIE on this CVE-2012-4681. This is basically the newest Java hit. It is mostly a web browser issue but I would like to see if the versions on our servers are vulnerable. I already found the pages/info for Solaris and RHEL. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
4 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

vnc password hit from Retina

Hello, I'm having an issue with VNC. Security at work says that they scanned my servers (Solaris, RHEL, SLES) and found that you don't need a password to access a VNC session. I have tested this and you can't login to the VNC session without a password. Can someone tell what the Retina scanner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bitlord
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl to hit the submit button

Hello, I am looking to hit a URL using curl and click on submit button so that I can get the results. The below is the code <input name="tos_accepted" id="tos_accepted" class="button" type="submit" value="Yes, I Agree"/> <input name="tos_discarded" id="tos_discarded"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kochappa
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best performance to merge two files

Hi Gurus, I need to merge two files. file1 (small file, only one line) this is first linefile2 (large file) abc def ghi ... I use below command to merge the file, since the file2 is really large file, the command read whole file2, the performance is not good. cat file1 > file3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
7 Replies
CRONTABS(4)						      Crontabs users' Manual						       CRONTABS(4)

NAME
crontabs - configuration and scripts for running periodical jobs SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--list|--test]<directory> DESCRIPTION
Crontabs is a historical name for the run-parts script and the system crontab. The run-parts script runs all executables in the specified directory. Run-parts runs all executables in the specified directory. The execution of files can be allowed or denied by creating file jobs.allow or jobs.deny which worked similar as other allow/deny config files. The file must be created in the specified directory. --list print names of all files (not limited to executables), but don't run them. This option can't be used with test option. --test print names of files, which would be run. Randomization of jobs can be configured in the /etc/sysconfig/run-parts file. To enable randomization of jobs, set the RANDOMIZE parameter to 1 and set the RANDOM parameter to an integer which determines a random seed. Additionally, you may configure the RAN- DOMTIME parameter (again, by specifying an integer) to provide an additional level of randomization. Jobs are not randomized when the RANDOM and RANDOMTIME parameters are set to 0. Values in these two parameters must be set to 1 or larger to provide a good enough randomization. Randomization of cron jobs can be useful for shared networks, where multiple cron jobs executed at once can cause spikes in traffic, especially during daily jobs. With randomized jobs, the workload is evenly distributed throughout the day. EXAMPLE OF CONFIGURATION FILE
RANDOMIZE=1 RANDOM=4 RANDOMTIME=8 Historically the crontab file contained configuration which called run-parts on files in cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} directories. These jobs are now run indirectly through anacron to prevent conflicts between cron and anacron. That means the anacron package has to be installed if the jobs in these directories should be running. Refer to the anacron(8) how to limit the time of day of the job execution. EXAMPLE
/etc/cron.daily/jobs.deny could contain for example 0logwatch which forbid execution of this script. SEE ALSO
anacron(8), crontab(5) Marcela Malaova 2012-08-29 CRONTABS(4)