Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Have several text files and want to merge into a single Post 302293135 by richsark on Monday 2nd of March 2009 12:55:45 PM
Old 03-02-2009
Have several text files and want to merge into a single

Hello,

I have several files that begin with db. in my directory and I would like to first take it from a specific word starting from $TTL until the end of the contents then do the same all the way down the directory then merge them into one txt file.

Is this possible? I am using cygwin with perl installed and a slew of other add-ons

Thanks

Last edited by richsark; 03-02-2009 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: clairification

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

merge text files

Hello. Could you please help to know the command to merge multiple text files into one? I am thinking to use: cat f1.txt f2.txt f3.txt > f4.txt Is it okay to use cat command for same purpose - Or could there be any disadvantage in using it? Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two text files of different size on common index

I have two text files. text file 1: ID filePath col1 col2 col3 1 10584588.mol 269.126 190.958 23.237 2 10584549.mol 281.001 200.889 27.7414 3 10584511.mol 408.824 158.316 29.8561 4 10584499.mol 245.632 153.241 25.2815 5 10584459.mol ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge Files into Single with Header

Hi All, I am trying to merge all files in a directory that end in *.txt to a single file with the contents one after the other. This I can do using the cat function but how do I put the name of the file as a header for each one in the combined single file and seperate the contents from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcg
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge the multiple text files into one file

Hi All, I am trying to merge all the text files into one file using below snippet cat /home/Temp/Test/Log/*.txt >> all.txt But it seems it is not working. I have multiple files like Output_ServerName1.txt, Output_ServreName2.txt I want to merge each file into one single file and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to Merge contents of 2 different excel files in a single excel file

All, I have an excel sheet Excel1.xls that has some entries. I have one more excel sheet Excel2.xls that has entries only in those cells which are blank in Excel1.xls These may be in different workbooks. They are totally independent made by 2 different users. I have placed them in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge the multiple data files as a single file?

Hi Experts, I have created multiple scripts and send the output to new file, getting this output to my mailbox on daily basis. I would like to send the all outputs to a single file, need to merge all file outputs on a single file. For example, Created script for df -h > df.doc grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge and Sort tabular data from different text files

I have 42 text files; each containing up to 34 lines with following structure; file1 H-01 23 H-03 5 H-05 9 H-02 14 . . file2 H-01 17 H-02 43 H-04 7 H-05 8 H-03 7 . . file3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two text files (oh no, not again!)

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have always made good use of all the wise hints shown here. But this time I'm struggling with an issue that is driving me crazy. I have two text files, I have to merge them based on the first column, resulting file must contain all record from the first file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two text files by two fields and mixed output

Hello, I'm back again looking for your precious help- This time I need to merge two text files with matching two fields, output only common records with mixed output. Let's look at the example: FILE1 56153;AAA0708;3;TEST1TEST1; 89014;BBB0708;3;TEST2TEST2; 89014;BBB0708;4;TEST3TEST3; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
7 Replies
ARK(1)								 KDE User's Manual							    ARK(1)

NAME
ark - KDE archiving tool SYNOPSIS
ark [-b] [-a] [-e] [-c] [-f suffix] [-p] [-t file] [-d] [-o directory] [KDE Generic Options] [Qt(TM) Generic Options] DESCRIPTION
Ark is a program for managing various compressed file formats within KDE. Archives can be viewed, extracted, created and modified with Ark. The program can handle various formats such as tar, gzip, bzip2, zip, rar (when the appropriate libraries or command-line programs are installed). OPERATION MODES
Ark can be used either as a stand-alone GUI program as well as a command-line program in order to perform some specific tasks. If invoked without the -b (--batch) or -c (--add) options, Ark is started as a normal GUI program. When the -b (--batch) option is used, Ark can be used to extract the contents of one or more files directly from the command-line, without launching its GUI. When the -c (--add) option is used, Ark prompts for files that should be added to a new archive or to an existing archive. OPTIONS
-d, --dialog Show a dialog for specifying the options for a batch or add operation. -o, --destination directory Default the extraction directory to directory. If not passed, the current path is used. Options for adding files -c, --add Query the user for an archive filename and add specified files to it. Quit when finished. -t, --add-to filename Add the specified files to filename. Create archive if it does not exist. Quit when finished. -p, --changetofirstpath Change the current directory to the first entry and add all other entries relative to this one. -f, --autofilename suffix Automatically choose a filename, with the selected suffix (for example rar, tar.gz, zip or any other supported types). Options for batch extraction b, --batch Use the batch interface instead of the usual dialog. This option is implied if more than one url is specified. -e, --autodestination The destination argument will be set to the path of the first file supplied. -a, --autosubfolder Archive contents will be read, and if detected to not be a single folder archive, a subfolder by the name of the archive will be created. EXAMPLES
ark --batch archive.tar.bz2 Will extract archive.tar.bz2 into the current directory without showing any GUI. ark -b -d archive.tar.bz2 archive2.zip Will first show an extraction options dialog and then extract both archive.tar.bz2 and archive2.zip into the directory chosen in the dialog. ark --add-to my-archive.zip photo1.jpg text.txt Will create my-archive.zip if does not exist and then add photo1.jpg and text.txt to it. AUTHORS
Ark is currently maintained by Harald Hvaal haraldhv@stud.ntnu.no and Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. This man page was first written by Lauri Watts lauri@kde.org in 2005 for KDE 3.4, and was later updated in 2009 by Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. AUTHORS
Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> Author. Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com> Author. K Desktop Environment 2.13 (KD 2009-09-10 ARK(1)