Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: inittab in Solaris 10
Operating Systems Solaris inittab in Solaris 10 Post 302293102 by Perderabo on Monday 2nd of March 2009 10:44:52 AM
Old 03-02-2009

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inittab solaris

Hi! Is it possible to add more ttys in Solaris, like with inittab in Linux? I want to switch between the ttys with Alt F1+F2+F3 .... like Linux does. How can i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donald1111
1 Replies

3. AIX

init not starting processes from inittab

Hello, I'm having a problem starting the cron daemon automatically from inittab, let me provide the details below: We are having five equally installed machines. One of them was upgraded in the past, one we upgraded recently, both from 5300-05-06 to 5300-07-01-0748. On the upgraded... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hybr1d
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in /etc/inittab script

Hi.. When i was just looking throught /etc/inittab file.. i had stuck with some problems that i dont known in shell scripts Here how the lablel like si ca lo l1 etc works.. do scripts proivide any label features.. please help... thanks in advance esham (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
3 Replies

5. Solaris

inittab entry does not works

Hi, I have a solaris 10 server,which has a process running that communicates with other system.I have made following entry in the inittab file. PM15:s12345:respawn:/ncm/bin/communicator PM15 : Unique process ID s12345 : run levels respawn : if anytime the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does inittab needs system restart?

Hi currently my linux instance is running in runlevel 3 ( someone has set the default to 3) i have to change it to runlevel 5 . my question 1) does the editing of /etc/inittab needs system restart to enter runlevel 5. 2) how can we avoid system restart because if some users are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What breaks inittab

Today there was a situation where processes running from inittab was broken. Can someone help me understand, how to find out, who might have stopped those processes? Or how does it get broken? G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inittab configuration

I am installing BusyBox on a device that does not have keyboard or serial connection, so I log into the system with SSH. I am in doubt about what to put in the inittab file. This is the content of the file: ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS ::respawn:/bin/login ::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richard78
1 Replies

9. Linux

How to add a entry in inittab?

Hi All, I am booting by Linux box with the run level 3 and it gets booted successfully. I want to execute a script once the system is up and running in the run level 3. I was trying to add a entry to /etc/inittab to execute my script once the system is up. I have added the below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling by inittab

Hi to all , i wrote a small script and i add it to inittab to start the script during Startup. The script works fine , if i call it from the prompt but if it is call from inittab it is runnng too but it does not recognize system variable like USER , LOGNAME. Since i running out of ideas i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
12 Replies
rc3(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    rc3(8)

NAME
rc3 - Run command script executed when entering a multiuser run level SYNOPSIS
rc3 DESCRIPTION
The rc3 script contains run commands that enable initialization of the system to a multiuser state; run level 3. In addition to commands listed within the script itself, rc3 contains instructions to run certain commands found in the /sbin/rc3.d directory. The script defines the conditions under which the commands execute; some commands run if the system is booting, other commands execute if the system is chang- ing run levels. By convention, files in the rc3.d directory begin with either the letter "S" or the letter "K" and are followed by a two-digit number and a filename; for example: S00inet S55inetd S70mount S65lpd In general, the system starts commands that begin with the letter "S" and stops commands that begin with the letter "K." Commands that begin with the letter "K" run only when the system is changing run levels from a higher to a lower level. Commands that begin with the letter "S" run in all cases. The numbering of commands in the /sbin/rc3.d directory is important since the numbers are sorted and the com- mands are run in ascending order. Files in the /sbin/rc3.d directory are normally links to files in the /etc/init.d directory. An entry in the inittab file causes the system to execute the rc3 run commands, for example: s3:3:wait:/sbin/rc3 < /dev/console > /dev/con- sole 2>&1 The following operations are typical of those that result from executing the rc3 script and the commands located in the /sbin/rc3.d direc- tory. The operation depends on which state the system is entering or exiting. Setting the time zone Checking the current run level Start- ing network services and daemons Starting (or stopping) system services and daemons Mounting file systems Setting the TIMEZONE variable is one of the first operations completed by the rc3 script. This action provides the default time zone for subsequent commands. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the directory of commands that correspond to the run level RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: init(8), rc0(8), rc2(8) delim off rc3(8)