Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Hashes, reading and hashing 2 files Post 302292863 by silkiechicken on Sunday 1st of March 2009 08:51:38 PM
Old 03-01-2009
I'm under the impression that join will just append line for line? I am trying to use the hash just in case "file 1" doesn't contain all the elements found in "file2".

I'm working with a large data set from which has a matching file with what they are. Instead of going into excel and manually searching for the item from file1 and copying the respective data from file2, I wanted a script to do it for me, if what I'm trying to do makes any sense.

ETA:
LOL At this rate, it might have been faster for me to go though the few hundred ID's and manually serach, copied, and pasted. If I started doing that when I started trying to do this, I might be finished by now. But I want to get this to work since it would be a one time thing. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by silkiechicken; 03-01-2009 at 10:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: hashes, whiles, and last

hello everyone, i am creating 2 hashes from 2 different files, then looking for the value of one in the value of the other to make a new file. for example: file1: DENV => Denver file2: H224-0A-12 => DENVER if Denver is found in DENVER (case insensitive), a new hash now contains H224-0A-12... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to declare hashes in KSH similar to Perl ?

Hi, Is it possible to delcare hashes in KSH the way we do it in Perl. Like I want to declare something like: fruits="Juicy" fruits="healthy" fruits="sour" echo fruits Ofcourse this piece of code does not work in KSH. Please let me know if there is a way of doing it in KSH. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hashes question

hi guys im running into a problem here this is my script #!/usr/bin/perl use CGI qw(:standard); $header = "MIME-Version: 1.0\n"; $header .= "Content-type: text/html\n"; $header .= "\n"; #get the point parameter from nhl.html $Team = param("points"); print "$header"; open(INFILE,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucho_1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hashes help in Perl

Hi, I am stuck at this problem where part of my code would store all the websites that has been accessed by a user. I pull these values from a log file. I want to create a HASH of HASHES ? (Please correct me if this is not the right approach) where I would store all the hits to website with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hash of hashes from database

hi there, I have some database output that looks like this SELECT nic_name,nic_duplex,nic_speed,nic_ip FROM network_table WHERE hostname = "server1" result is this (ive delimited with a pipe for ease of reading) bge0|full|1000|10.32.100.1 bge1|full|1000|11.12.101.7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - printing a hash of hashes to screen

Hi there I have a hash of hashes made up of the following data bge0|100|half|10.36.100.21 bge1|1000|full|10.36.100.22 bge2|1000|full|10.36.100.23 which when i turn into a hash, would look like this inside the system bge0 -> nic_speed -> 100 nic_duplex -> half ... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - another quick hash of hashes question

Hi, sorry, two hash related questions in one day .. but this has got me a bit stuck. I have a mysql database table that kind of looks like this, the table is called "view1" and a snippet of that table (SELECT'ing just rows with serial number 0629AN1200) is below serial nic_name ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: dereferencing a hash of hashes

Hi there, I am trying to dereference my hash of hashes but post dereferencing, it seems to lose its structure I am using Data::dumper to help me anaylise. This is the code im using to build the HoH, (data comes from a file). I have also performed a Dumper on the data structure before and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : array of hashes help

Hi, I have array of hashes and each key has array like below. @array1 = ( { 'url' => , 'bill' => }, { 'url' => , 'bill' => }, { 'url' => , ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragilla
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hash of hashes anonymous array

Hello experts. I'm having problems with a snippet of code. I was hoping to get help/advice to correct. A file that this script parses has changed to the point where I can no longer use a scalar, it looks as though I need to create an array for a hash of hashes below. The first output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timj123
1 Replies
Gtk2::PageSetup(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Gtk2::PageSetup(3pm)

NAME
Gtk2::PageSetup - wrapper for GtkPageSetup HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Gtk2::PageSetup METHODS
pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_bottom_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_bottom_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_left_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_left_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->load_file ($file_name) o $file_name (string) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 $setup->load_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 pageorientation = $setup->get_orientation $setup->set_orientation ($orientation) o $orientation (Gtk2::PageOrientation) double = $setup->get_page_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_page_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_paper_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_paper_size_and_default_margins ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) papersize = $setup->get_paper_size $setup->set_paper_size ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) double = $setup->get_paper_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_right_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_right_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->to_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 $setup->to_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_top_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_top_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) ENUMS AND FLAGS
enum Gtk2::PageOrientation o 'portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_PORTRAIT' o 'landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE' o 'reverse-portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_PORTRAIT' o 'reverse-landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_LANDSCAPE' enum Gtk2::Unit o 'pixel' / 'GTK_UNIT_PIXEL' o 'points' / 'GTK_UNIT_POINTS' o 'inch' / 'GTK_UNIT_INCH' o 'mm' / 'GTK_UNIT_MM' SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Object COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2011 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-27 Gtk2::PageSetup(3pm)