Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove blank spaces in a text file... Post 302292629 by siri_14 on Sunday 1st of March 2009 01:47:43 AM
Old 03-01-2009
Hi vgersh99,

I was borwsing through forum for a similar kind of a problem as bhagya had and got your reply to work
printf '/^[ ]*$/d\n.\nwq' | ex -q tfile

I would be vary grateful if you can explaing how this line works,as i am not pretty good with scripting and couldnt understand how this line works?

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove Continous blank spaces from a file in UNIX

All... I want to remove blank spaces in file . I just leraned that we can use " cat <Input filename> | tr -s ‘ ‘ > <Target file name> " i also know with SED we can replace a blank space by other character by sed s/ /*/g filename. Please let me know how can i do that by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk??

hello how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk?? i´m trying awk '{gsub(" ","",$0); print $0;}' filename.txt but it answers syntax error near line first of all i did this for download from netbackup database jobs privilege bpdbjobs -report -M sv88 -gdm -header |cut -c-1024... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank spaces from fields

Hi Friends, I have large volume of data file as shown below. Beganing or end of each filed, there are some blank spaces. How do I remove those spaces? AAA AAA1 | BBB BB1 BB2 |CC CCCC DDDD DD | EEEEEEE EEEEEEEE | FFF FFFFFF FFFF GG GGGGGG |HH HH ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blank spaces with semicolon - text file

Hi all, Been trying to find a solution to this, I'm sure its a sed 1 liner, but I don't know sed well enough to work it out... I have a text file in the following format: 431 666 1332 2665 0.24395 432 670 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpcengineering
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines and comments from text file

Hi, I am using BASH. How can I remove any lines in a text file that are either blank or begin with a # (ie. comments)? Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces in file

hi i have a file which store some data.the contents of my file is data1:data2 data3:data4 i have a script which read this file correct="$(cat /root/sh | cut -d: -f1)" i used this syntax..please help me which syntax is used to remove blank spaces..then how to read this file.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank line from a text file?

Hi All, I am creating a text file using perl. The first record I am writing as "$line" and all the other as "\n$line". At the end the file is having N number of lines. I am using this file for MLOAD (Teradata), which is reading N+1 lines in the file and failing.I am not able to find new line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unankix
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all blank spaces in a file

I have a file which contains data such as that shown below. How do i remove all the blcnak spaces, before, during and at the end of each line in one command? 300015, 58.0823212, 230.424728 300016, 58.2276459, 229.141602 300017, 58.7590027, 226.960846 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces

Gents, Please can you help me.. to remove blank spaces :) Input ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,669 ,1817.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,686 ,1817.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,670 ,1819.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank spaces

Dear Masters, I want to remove all lines with blank spaces input file: a|abc|0|1 a|abc|2|3 b||3|5 c|def||7 d|def|0|1 Expected: a|abc|0|1 a|abc|2|3 d|def|0|1 I did this awk -F'|' '!/^$/' input (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
4 Replies
xcb-requests(3) 						   XCB examples 						   xcb-requests(3)

NAME
xcb-requests - about request manpages DESCRIPTION
Every request in X11, like MapWindow, corresponds to a number of functions and data structures in XCB. For MapWindow, XCB provides the function xcb_map_window, which fills the xcb_map_window_request_t data structure and writes that to the X11 connection. Since the MapWindow request does not have a reply, this is the most simple case. REPLIES
Many requests have replies. For each reply, XCB provides at least a corresponding data structure and a function to return a pointer to a filled data structure. Let's take the InternAtom request as an example: XCB provides the xcb_intern_atom_reply_t data structure and xcb_intern_atom_reply function. For replies which are more complex (for example lists, such as in xcb_list_fonts), accessor functions are provided. COOKIES
XCB returns a cookie for each request you send. This is an XCB-specific data structure containing the sequence number with which the request was sent to the X11 server. To get any reply, you have to provide that cookie (so that XCB knows which of the waiting replies you want). Here is an example to illustrate the use of cookies: void my_example(xcb_connection *conn) { xcb_intern_atom_cookie_t cookie; xcb_intern_atom_reply_t *reply; cookie = xcb_intern_atom(conn, 0, strlen("_NET_WM_NAME"), "_NET_WM_NAME"); /* ... do other work here if possible ... */ if ((reply = xcb_intern_atom_reply(conn, cookie, NULL))) { printf("The _NET_WM_NAME atom has ID %u0, reply->atom); } free(reply); } CHECKED VS. UNCHECKED The checked and unchecked suffixes for functions determine which kind of error handling is used for this specific request. For requests which have no reply (for example xcb_map_window), errors will be delivered to the event loop (you will receive an X11 event of type 0 when calling xcb_poll_for_event). If you want to explicitly check for errors in a blocking fashion, call the _checked version of the function (for example xcb_map_window_checked) and use xcb_request_check. For requests which have a reply (for example xcb_intern_atom), errors will be checked when calling the reply function. To get errors in the event loop instead, use the _unchecked version of the function (for example xcb_intern_atom_unchecked). Here is an example which illustrates the four different ways of handling errors: /* * Request without a reply, handling errors in the event loop (default) * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t window) { /* This is a request without a reply. Errors will be delivered to the event * loop. Getting an error to xcb_map_window most likely is a bug in our * program, so we don't need to check for that in a blocking way. */ xcb_map_window(conn, window); /* ... of course your event loop would not be in the same function ... */ while ((event = xcb_wait_for_event(conn)) != NULL) { if (event->response_type == 0) { fprintf("Received X11 error %d ", error->error_code); free(event); continue; } /* ... handle a normal event ... */ } } /* * Request without a reply, handling errors directly * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t deco, xcb_window_t window) { /* A reparenting window manager wants to know whether a new window was * successfully reparented. If not (because the window got destroyed * already, for example), it does not make sense to map an empty window * decoration at all, so we need to know this right now. */ xcb_void_cookie_t cookie = xcb_reparent_window_checked(conn, window, deco, 0, 0); xcb_generic_error_t *error; if ((error = xcb_request_check(conn, cookie))) { fprintf(stderr, "Could not reparent the window "); free(error); return; } /* ... do window manager stuff here ... */ } /* * Request with a reply, handling errors directly (default) * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t window) { xcb_intern_atom_cookie_t cookie; xcb_intern_atom_reply_t *reply; xcb_generic_error_t *error; cookie = xcb_intern_atom(c, 0, strlen("_NET_WM_NAME"), "_NET_WM_NAME"); /* ... do other work here if possible ... */ if ((reply = xcb_intern_atom_reply(c, cookie, &error))) { printf("The _NET_WM_NAME atom has ID %u0, reply->atom); free(reply); } else { fprintf(stderr, "X11 Error %d ", error->error_code); free(error); } } /* * Request with a reply, handling errors in the event loop * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t window) { xcb_intern_atom_cookie_t cookie; xcb_intern_atom_reply_t *reply; cookie = xcb_intern_atom_unchecked(c, 0, strlen("_NET_WM_NAME"), "_NET_WM_NAME"); /* ... do other work here if possible ... */ if ((reply = xcb_intern_atom_reply(c, cookie, NULL))) { printf("The _NET_WM_NAME atom has ID %u0, reply->atom); free(reply); } /* ... of course your event loop would not be in the same function ... */ while ((event = xcb_wait_for_event(conn)) != NULL) { if (event->response_type == 0) { fprintf("Received X11 error %d ", error->error_code); free(event); continue; } /* ... handle a normal event ... */ } } SEE ALSO
xcb_map_window(3), xcb_intern_atom(3), xcb_list_fonts(3), xcb_poll_for_event(3), xcb_request_check(3) AUTHOR
Michael Stapelberg <michael+xcb at stapelberg dot de> XCB
2011-12-11 xcb-requests(3)