Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Question on CD writer & backup Post 302292434 by bblondin on Friday 27th of February 2009 11:21:03 PM
Old 02-28-2009
There is another option... assuming you are using AIX 5.3 or higher, and you can move files from your NFS server to your workstation that has a DVD burner you can do the following:

Clean up the /tmp folder and any other files you don't want as part of the backup on the system

(If you don't have the disk space to backup the system to itself, you can re-direct the backup file to a NFS share.)

--------------------------------
Part 1:

(Make a tmp folder and use that path)

mksysb -i -e -p /tmp/mig/mksysb_hostname

You will now be left with a large file in the /tmp/mig folder (or what ever you named the folder)

Part 2
Make DVD iso images from the large file that mksysb made.
The second half of the job will split the backup file into DVD sized files (~3.5GB)

These new files will be in the following format: cd_image_XXXXX.volx

mkcd -m /tmp/mig/mksysb_hostname -S -I /tmp/mig -L

What do these flags do?

-m tell where is the mksysb generated
-S do not try to burn directly to the dvd drive, instead stop and leave the iso in a dir
-I dir where the iso file is created
-L indicate that you want dvd images. Without, it create cd images.

now that you have the .volx image files... you can delete the mksysb_hostname file.

Part 3

move these DVD sized files to another machine that has a DVD Burner
ie. move them to your NFS share and then to you workstation

Rename these files to .iso and your burning software will let you burn the images

-------------------------------

The DVD's will now be bootable

Other things to note:

The HDD must be equal to or greater then the original HDD size. On the machine your about to put the image on, make sure you set it to boot from CD/DVD.
If the image is going on a blade server, make sure you are connected to the machine via SOL before you get started

You will get some errors after restoring like.... IP Address and hostname will be the same as the machine you imaged. if you run into this you can boot the machine in the the SMS menu and boot to Service Mode Boot and go into Single User Mode

Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Date & Time

:confused: I'm not really sure about the default backup date & time in our Unix system and I would like to change it to a convienient time...how do I do that? Please help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EbeyeJJ
1 Replies

2. Solaris

questions about configuration & backup strategies

In our lab we are in the process of reevaluating the overall setup of our Sun workstations. I'd like to get the opinions of other system administrators on some general strategic questions: 1. If the goal is to try to guarantee identical functioning of all workstations within the lab, which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eje4
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

hp unix backup&restore

Dear frnds, i am going to use hp-ux11i first time, actually migrated from true64unix(digital), Now confused with the backup and restore procedures, i was using vdump and vrestore in that which was really much comfortable.could you suggest which is best type backup(similar to vdump and vrestore)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
8 Replies

4. SCO

Openserver 6 & using a NEC DVD Writer

I'm trying to configure Openserver 6 with a NEC DVD writer to use as a backup - the DVD writer was originally installed as /dev/cd0 and installed the operating system. How do I mount the DVD writer and what command and mount point should I use? What program is available to support writing to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifleet2007
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Error using usfdump for backup & restore ?

Hello buddy, I used usfbackup command but error after full backup Solaris 5.5.1 /dev/c0t3d0s0 / /dev/c0t3d0s6 /usr I get error when restart after complete full backup Can't load the root file system Type 'go' to resume ***FULL MY STORY*** ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: posky
1 Replies

6. SCO

SCO 6. Backup & Restore from USB

Finaly got usb working on sco6. If anyone need help with that just ask. My final goal is to able to do a complete system backup/restore to/from usb. The problems I need help with 1. Can't cpio to usb device. Getting an error message device not found 2. When booted from sco6 emergency... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
3 Replies

7. Programming

Question about read writer lock

From <<Advanced Programming in the Unix>> section 11.6, it says: Although implementations vary, readerwriter locks usually block additional readers if a lock is already held in read mode and a thread is blocked trying to acquire the lock in write mode. This prevents a constant stream of readers... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
5 Replies

8. AIX

backup & restore a volume group

Dear All, I would like to ask about saving & restoring a user defined volume group. i have a user defined volume group, named as datavg. i want to save it & to restore it into different size of physical volume. currently, datavg consist of 4 pv, three fisrt pv size are 100GB & one pv size is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donybangetgitu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

imap & rsync - doing backup & restore

Hi ALL... I have an IMAP server & I have setup rsync to copy all mailboxes (MailDir) to a remote backup machine. rsync is working fine and is copying my files. I need some advice on how to restore a particular mailbox when a user makes a request assuming she has has deleted an important... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Help: quick and easy question may be: How to use &&

Hi Guru's. I am trying to use to check if $5 is greater than 80 & if not 100, then to print $0 : awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0} But getting error: >bdf1|sed 's/%//g'|awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0}' syntax error The source line is 1. The error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies
rwlock(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						rwlock(3C)

NAME
rwlock, rwlock_init, rwlock_destroy, rw_rdlock, rw_wrlock, rw_tryrdlock, rw_trywrlock, rw_unlock - multiple readers, single writer locks SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <synch.h> int rwlock_init(rwlock_t *rwlp, int type, void * arg); int rwlock_destroy(rwlock_t *rwlp); int rw_rdlock(rwlock_t *rwlp); int rw_wrlock(rwlock_t *rwlp); int rw_unlock(rwlock_t *rwlp); int rw_tryrdlock(rwlock_t *rwlp); int rw_trywrlock(rwlock_t *rwlp); DESCRIPTION
Many threads can have simultaneous read-only access to data, while only one thread can have write access at any given time. Multiple read access with single write access is controlled by locks, which are generally used to protect data that is frequently searched. Readers/writer locks can synchronize threads in this process and other processes if they are allocated in writable memory and shared among cooperating processes (see mmap(2)), and are initialized for this purpose. Additionally, readers/writer locks must be initialized prior to use. rwlock_init() The readers/writer lock pointed to by rwlp is initial- ized by rwlock_init(). A readers/writer lock is capable of having several types of behavior, which is specified by type. arg is currently not used, although a future type may define new behavior parameters by way of arg. type may be one of the following: USYNC_PROCESS The readers/writer lock can synchronize threads in this process and other processes. The readers/writer lock should be initialized by only one process. arg is ignored. A readers/writer lock initialized with this type, must be allo- cated in memory shared between processses, i.e. either in Sys V shared memory (see shmop(2)) or in memory mapped to a file (see mmap(2)). It is illegal to initialize the object this way and to not allocate it in such shared memory. USYNC_THREAD The readers/writer lock can synchronize threads in this process, only. arg is ignored. Additionally, readers/writer locks can be initialized by allocation in zeroed memory. A type of USYNC_THREAD is assumed in this case. Multiple threads must not simultaneously initialize the same readers/writer lock. And a readers/writer lock must not be re-initialized while in use by other threads. The following are default readers/writer lock initialization (intra-process): rwlock_t rwlp; rwlock_init(&rwlp, NULL, NULL); OR rwlock_init(&rwlp, USYNC_THREAD, NULL); OR rwlock_t rwlp = DEFAULTRWLOCK; The following is a customized readers/writer lock initialization (inter-process): rwlock_init(&rwlp, USYNC_PROCESS, NULL); Any state associated with the readers/writer lock pointed to by rwlp are destroyed by rwlock_destroy() and the readers/writer lock storage space is not released. rw_rdlock() gets a read lock on the readers/writer lock pointed to by rwlp. If the readers/writer lock is currently locked for writing, the calling thread blocks until the write lock is freed. Multiple threads may simultaneously hold a read lock on a readers/writer lock. rw_tryrdlock() trys to get a read lock on the readers/writer lock pointed to by rwlp. If the readers/writer lock is locked for writing, it returns an error; otherwise, the read lock is acquired. rw_wrlock() gets a write lock on the readers/writer lock pointed to by rwlp. If the readers/writer lock is currently locked for reading or writing, the calling thread blocks until all the read and write locks are freed. At any given time, only one thread may have a write lock on a readers/writer lock. rw_trywrlock() trys to get a write lock on the readers/writer lock pointed to by rwlp. If the readers/writer lock is currently locked for reading or writing, it returns an error. rw_unlock() unlocks a readers/writer lock pointed to by rwlp, if the readers/writer lock is locked and the calling thread holds the lock for either reading or writing. One of the other threads that is waiting for the readers/writer lock to be freed will be unblocked, pro- vided there is other waiting threads. If the calling thread does not hold the lock for either reading or writing, no error status is returned, and the program's behavior is unknown. RETURN VALUES
If successful, these functions return 0. Otherwise, a non-zero value is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The rwlock_init() function will fail if: EINVAL type is invalid. The rw_tryrdlock() or rw_trywrlock() functions will fail if: EBUSY The reader or writer lock pointed to by rwlp was already locked. These functions may fail if: EFAULT rwlp or arg points to an illegal address. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mmap(2), attributes(5) NOTES
These interfaces also available by way of: #include <thread.h> If multiple threads are waiting for a readers/writer lock, the acquisition order is random by default. However, some implementations may bias acquisition order to avoid depriving writers. The current implementation favors writers over readers. SunOS 5.10 14 May 1998 rwlock(3C)