Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting) Post 302292394 by adderek on Friday 27th of February 2009 05:20:12 PM
Old 02-27-2009
Seems like a job for a higher-level code. Perl, python, awk, anything like that.
If the line can be very long you could expect unexpected problems (like storing too much data into a variable in shell or the line being truncated).

On the other side such trick could probably work as well: "for var in $(cat file); do .... done" or better - use "read".... you might need to play with the FS/IFS settings.

Anyway - I strongly suggest higher level language.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a string

hi i am new to shelll scripting I need to parse a string like "abc,def,ghie,jkl" And assign them to some variables like hs1 = abc hs2 = def hs3 = ghi hs4 = jkl Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl parsing compared to Ksh parsing

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w $ip = "$ARGV"; $rw = "$ARGV"; $snmpg = "/usr/local/bin/snmpbulkget -v2c -Cn1 -Cn2 -Os -c $rw"; $snmpw = "/usr/local/bin/snmpwalk -Os -c $rw"; $syst=`$snmpg $ip system sysName sysObjectID`; sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out the logs and generating report

My file will contain following(log.txt): start testcase: config loading ...... error XXXX ..... end testcase: config loading, result failed start testcase: ping check ..... error ZZZZZ ..... error AAAAA end testcase: Ping check, result failed I am expecting below output. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String-parsing!

I need the perl solution for the following : $string="I LOVE INDIA" now, in a new string i need the first character of each word... that is string2 should be "ILN". (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing

Hi, name=VDSL_TTV_ HN_SUB create coid=MA5603U phone=5678 portpolicy=APortSelectionPolicy rfu10=TTV rfu3=Dot1q sz7_portmode=VDSL2 rfu5=1234 srprofile.sy_profname=$ADSL_TTV_SubProfile1 I have a line like this. Its a single line.I need the output as name=VDSL_TTV_ HN_SUB create... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on parsing string

for i in `cat list`;do lol=`curl -m 2 -s ${i} | grep 'class=info' | cut -d '>' -f14 | cut -d '<' -f1 | sed '/^$/d'`; if ;then echo "$i,$lol" >> dirty; echo "$i,$lol";fi; done cut: you must specify a list of bytes, characters, or fields Try `cut --help' for more information. it gave me that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: p33plime
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a long string string problem for procmail

Hi everyone, I am working on fetchmail + procmail to filter mails and I am having problem with parsing a long line in the body of the email. Could anyone help me construct a reg exp for this string below. It needs to match exactly as this string. GetRyt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing diff output into report

Hello all; lat week I was able to get some assistance on creating a summary report from a file generated by a "comm" comparison of twp CSV files...turn out now that I am being asked for a detail report as well...this is beyond my knowledge of perl (and yes I have to use perl)..also please keep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on parsing Oracle RMAN output for string and print sections of a file

Hi, I need some advise on how to print 'sections' of the attached file. I am searching for some that says Marked Corrupt and print some lines after it. At the moment I am running the command below: sed -n -e '/Marked Corrupt/{N;N;p;}' rman_list_validate.txtThis gives me the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a log file and creating a report script

The log file is huge and lot of information, i would like to parse and make a report . below is the log file looks like: REPORT DATE: Mon Aug 10 04:16:17 CDT 2017 SYSTEN VER: v1.3.0.9 TERMINAL TYPE: prod SYSTEM: nb11cu51 UPTIME: 04:16AM up 182 days 57 mins min MODEL, TYPE, and SN:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
8 Replies
xjack(6x)							XScreenSaver manual							 xjack(6x)

NAME
xjack - all work and no play makes jack a dull boy SYNOPSIS
xjack [-display host:display.screen] [-foreground color] [-background color] [-window] [-root] [-delay usecs] [-fps] DESCRIPTION
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. XENVIRONMENT All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997 by Jamie Zawinski. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a fnord dull boy. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. AUTHOR
Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>, 15-Nov-97. X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) xjack(6x)