Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD proper syntax of grep command Post 302292322 by joeyg on Friday 27th of February 2009 01:27:29 PM
Old 02-27-2009
Tools

grep will return all lines that contain a searched-for string.
And I have seen some odd results when the lines are not delimited as usually expected with a line-feed at the end of each. So, that is a first thought - that your file is not correctly delimited. (see commands like dos2unix and unix2dos for more on this)
The next issues are capitalization and spacing. The grep command, without additional options, is an exact match. This relates to my comment on spacing as there might be two spaces between certain words, they words may be on separate lines, there could be tab characters between the words.

See the following example:
Code:
> cat file002
this is boring
but I am writing
so we can test
to see that I
am writing
> grep "I am writing" file002
but I am writing

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with the syntax using awk+grep

Hi, I need to extract information from a 4 GB file based on the following conditions: 1) Check for the presence of a set of account numbers Each account number is present along with other information within a PAGESTART and PAGEEND. The file looks like this: PAGESTART ACCOUNT NO 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthri
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep syntax for this...

I wanna grep for a pattern logs 1 2 & 3 within a folder containing 100 logs grep "test" /folder/log1 /folder/log2 /folder/log3 The above command will work fine but is there any command like grep "test" /folder/log1, log2, log3 or something similar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Net::SSH::Perl->Execute any unix command & display the output in a proper form

Net::SSH::Perl ...... how to print the output in a proper format my $cmd = "ls -l"; my $ssh = Net::SSH::Perl->new($host); $ssh->login($user, $pass); my($stdout, $stderr, $exit) = $ssh->cmd("$cmd"); print $stdout; the script works fine, but i am unable to see the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsprasanna
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Proper syntax

I'm new to Unix, and just had a quick question. I'm writing a bash script, and I was wondering what proper programming etiquette was for piping. How many pipes is too many pipes? OLDEST=$(find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -newermt 2012-07-01 ! -newermt 2012-07-30 | xargs ls -1td | tail -2) echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jrymer
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to grep this Data in proper format:- Please Guide

Hi Guys, I need to grep below data in this format backup_id creation expiration policy sched_label backup_id = picoserver38_1212077050, version = 2 creation = 05/29/2008 18:04:10 (1212077050) expiration = 06/29/2008 18:04:10 (1214755450) retention_level = 3, fragment = 2, file_num = 1... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper way to pipe into awk command

What is the proper way to run two commands together? For example, in the below I would like run a command in bold then pipe that output to awk to re-format it. Thank you :). bedtools nuc -fi /home/cmccabe/Desktop/bed/hg19.fa -bed /home/cmccabe/Desktop/bed/xgen_baits.bed >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on grep syntax in UNIX

Dear Team /app/Appln/logs/ echo Session used server are 'grep -i pid|grep -i session | cut -d'.' -f1 | awk '{print $9}' | sort | uniq' Output - lxserver01 lxserver02 lxserver03 When I grep session pid in logs server details I can see above distinct server details but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper Use of WAIT Command Within .ksh

I am trying to write a korn shell script (Z.ksh) that will execute three other korn shell scripts within it. The three korn shell scripts (A.ksh,B.ksh,C.ksh) each execute a series of .sas programs. A.ksh, B.ksh, and C.ksh must each wait until the last .sas program within them executes and finishes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imoore
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

FIND and GREP syntax

I have a question to this command find . -type f -name ".*txt" -exec grep "text" {}\. The find command will locate a file name with the extension of txt once per round and find the word "text" in the content of the file or the find command will locate all the file names with the extension of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestKing
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)